584,861 active members*
4,877 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
CHIRON Group SE Forum

PERFORMANCE MEETS PRECISION

Phase Converters > Huanyang VFD won't be controlled by analog signal.

Huanyang VFD won't be controlled by analog signal.

I have a new Huanyang VFD (model HY02D223B) connected to the spindle motor on my retrofit milling machine.

I'm trying to control the speed with the analog Voltage pin from LinuxCNC with a mesa 5i25/7i77 combo. That part, I think, is working fine. I can set the spindle speed in LinuxCNC and see between 0 and 10V on the pin.

On the VFD, I've set PD001 and PD002 for external control and moved the jumper to VI. When I turn on the spindle from linuxCNC, it immediately spins up to the freq specified in PD073 even if nothing is connected to VI. If I supply 5 or 10 volts on VI, it makes no difference. Nothing I do on VI changes the speed past the minimum freq.

The manual may have PD073 and PD072 reversed and I've tried both without a difference.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but it escapes me.

Question Same problem

Did you get any response.
    I have exactly the same problem except that my VFD has a built in potentiometer on the front panel.
    I have a 1500watt water cooled spindle and everything works fine until I try to use the Pot to change speed after changing settings to external control.
    WJF
    The More I Learn The Less I Seem To Know

Which jumper to you connect to VI? Vi must be the connection from your output terminal on you speed board (0-10V) with ACM being the common. Also, make sure the jumper J1 is connected appropriately. Also, be sure and connect 10V to the direction contacts if applicable.
    Hope this helps guys. I've struggled with his issue before but finally got it going.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Mine turned out to be a ground problem - poor connection to ACM. Runs great when wired correctly.

Re: Huanyang VFD won't be controlled by analog signal.

Hi people. I've just connect mi HY02D223B. Connections are as follows:
    FOR-DCM: shorted
    Jumper: VI

Registers:
    PD 01: 1
    PD 02: 2
    PD 70: 0

I've shorted VI with 5v and the motor started spinning, after 5 seconds switched the VI connection to 10V and started apining again. Both of them gaining REVs slow. Reached 2000~ revs and something happenend. The errorlight inside the inverter lighted up and the motor stoped working. After checking the motor if was SMOKING!!!. The exterior of the motor has reached around 90º. It is hot, my hand cant hold contact for longer than 2 seconds but it is not boiling. It is still too hot to test again.
    What happened? Please can you help me to know where did I go wrong?
    I've connected the motor again but it does not moves, what happened and why so fast?!

Hi,
    the most likely explanation is that you did not program the V/F curve correctly.

When a VFD is shipped from the factory they are usually programmed to run a 50Hz or 60Hz induction motor. Such motors are fine with full voltage, say 220VAC, at 50Hz.

If you come along and hook up a motor that is expecting to get full voltage at 400Hz, then you are going to cook it. Very roughly, if programmed correctly the voltage at 400Hz is 220VAC,
    and at 50Hz it should be 50/400 x 220 = 27.5VAC. You can imagine that would cause about 10 times rated current if you instead apply 220VAC at 50 Hz, or 100 times the powerloss.....COOK UP, BIGTIME REAL FAST.

These highspeed spindles should never be run under 100Hz, and Matec recommends 120Hz and thats if its water cooled, and I'd never run an aircooled spindle at less than half speed, ie 200Hz.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by AlvaroTorijano View Post
    Hi people. I've just connect mi HY02D223B. Connections are as follows:
    FOR-DCM: shorted
    Jumper: VI

Registers:
    PD 01: 1
    PD 02: 2
    PD 70: 0

I've shorted VI with 5v and the motor started spinning, after 5 seconds switched the VI connection to 10V and started apining again. Both of them gaining REVs slow. Reached 2000~ revs and something happenend. The errorlight inside the inverter lighted up and the motor stoped working. After checking the motor if was SMOKING!!!. The exterior of the motor has reached around 90º. It is hot, my hand cant hold contact for longer than 2 seconds but it is not boiling. It is still too hot to test again.
    What happened? Please can you help me to know where did I go wrong?
    I've connected the motor again but it does not moves, what happened and why so fast?!
    To help I have to Know what your spindle specs are, there are Parameters that have to be set or you will damage the VFD Drive or Spindle, don't run it until you have all the correct Parameters set.

It takes around 3 to 5seconds to damage these spindles or VFD Drive if the Parameters have not been set correct

Kw=
    Hz=
    Voltage=

FOR / DCM should never be shorted as this will become a safety problem, Ok for a test only, this needs to be controlled by a relay On / Off
    Mactec54