584,842 active members*
4,528 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4th Axis - Tips

Hi Folk.

A short video showing mounting my 4th axis and a simple spindle stop etc.

Please post any other tips you may have.

Cheers. Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9jTrcPjd0s

Nice write up as usual, keen.
    Thanks for the stop suggestion.
    I take it you won't be using this with an atc of you will have to flip to the right side of the table.
    I have an 8" tilting and have had issues with a few of the ball-zerts failing. They are not super robust when compared to the ones on my other machines. I have had to replace them with beefier screw-in ones so I can replace them easier if they fail:
    I have been wanting to take my table apart to flush it but I am worried about how complex of operation that might be. Any special tools needed? Any tips would be appreciated.
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi Folk.

A short video showing mounting my 4th axis and a simple spindle stop etc.

Please post any other tips you may have.

Cheers. Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9jTrcPjd0s

Re: 4th Axis - Tips

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Nice write up as usual, keen.
    Thanks for the stop suggestion.
    I take it you won't be using this with an atc of you will have to flip to the right side of the table.
    I have an 8" tilting and have had issues with a few of the ball-zerts failing. They are not super robust when compared to the ones on my other machines. I have had to replace them with beefier screw-in ones so I can replace them easier if they fail:
    I have been wanting to take my table apart to flush it but I am worried about how complex of operation that might be. Any special tools needed? Any tips would be appreciated.
    Nathan
    Hi Nathan.

No ATC for me at this stage anyway - I decided to spend that ATC money on a second machine.

Re you dismantling your tilting rotary table - good plan if mine is anything to go by. The internal construction is a bit different ...but my super spacer was not complex to dismantle. Once the worm/shaft is swung out of mesh either the Worm shaft assembly or the worm wheel assembly could be slid out without fear of damage. Yours will probably be the same. I have sketches and notes I can post if anyone is planning a super spacer dismantle.

keen

Hi Nathan.

No ATC for me at this stage anyway - I decided to spend that ATC money on a second machine.

Re you dismantling your tilting rotary table - good plan if mine is anything to go by. The internal construction is a bit different ...but my super spacer was not complex to dismantle. Once the worm/shaft is swung out of mesh either the Worm shaft assembly or the worm wheel assembly could be slid out without fear of damage. Yours will probably be the same. I have sketches and notes I can post if anyone is planning a super spacer dismantle.

keen
    Hi Keen,
    Nice video. I am in the process of taking apart my 8 inch super spacer because I believe the brake was occasionally dragging. so far no too much debris but still worth cleaning out. One thing I cannot figure out is how to remove the main spindle. The brakes are sandwiched between the spindle and the worm wheel, how did you get these apart ? also, should the cavity of the housing that holds the worm wheel and brakes it looks like it could hold quite a bit of oil, but yet it only has a tiny oil zerk fitting, any idea of how much oil should be in there? I am guessing if i tried to fill it all the way it would just all leak out of somewhere, and maybe it;s just the bottom of the cavity that needs to be filled with oil

Thanks
    Kyle

Hi Kyle - I hope the time difference between NZ and where you live - USA? is not holding you up. I am up now and will check this thread over the next few hours.

From memory the worm wheel needs to be first removed from the back to allow the big spindle assembly to come out the front. So you are wondering how to get the worm wheel off I bet. Well from memory the worm/shaft just needs to be swung out on its eccentric, but I think the worm wheel is held on with screws. From memory those screws may be covered with a plate or an index plate - remove that to access.

Keen

Hi Kyle - Re you oil question. Yes I pondered that too, concluding like you that too much oil will just leak out. I would just give it a few shots each time before using.

Keen

The big slow bearing does not need lubrication as much as the higher speed worm shaft bearings and gear teeth anyway, and these clearly do not have a reservoir and so need regular shots of oil.

keen

The big slow bearing does not need lubrication as much as the higher speed worm shaft bearings and gear teeth anyway, and these clearly do not have a reservoir and so need regular shots of oil.

keen
    Thanks Keen, I took it all apart and cleaned it out. well worth the time, it was actually quite simple and gave me a better understanding of what was going on in there and what adjustments would affect it

Good to hear - cheers.

Keen

Keen,

You make an excellent point about the chuck size! I rarely work with anything >4" in diameter on my 8" rotary table and am always having to closely mind for holder collisions. Your idea of using a smaller chuck provides a simple elegant solution for me, and it could definitely help me not feel so stressed every time I want to take the 4th axis off the table or remount it. Cutting a few pounds off that beast is a good thing for the one man shop. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Keen,

You make an excellent point about the chuck size! I rarely work with anything >4" in diameter on my 8" rotary table and am always having to closely mind for holder collisions. Your idea of using a smaller chuck provides a simple elegant solution for me, and it could definitely help me not feel so stressed every time I want to take the 4th axis off the table or remount it. Cutting a few pounds off that beast is a good thing for the one man shop. Thanks for sharing!
    Cheers - what size chuck have you been using?

I have a 160 mm 4 jaw on it right now. When I bought the 8" rotary table for my 1100 I was working with large stock as I was making forming dies for rotary moulders. I don't do those jobs very often so mounting a 4" chuck would give me plenty capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    I have a 160 mm 4 jaw on it right now. When I bought the 8" rotary table for my 1100 I was working with large stock as I was making forming dies for rotary moulders. I don't do those jobs very often so mounting a 4" chuck would give me plenty capacity.
    Understood. I have a modified 5" chuck that has little jaw extension beyond the chuck body that is proving really useful..

See the video below at 4 mins

Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ_8lOnZfvE