585,931 active members*
3,615 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport TC1g Questions

Hello,

We just bought a Bridgeport TC1g. I don't know for sure, but would say it is around a 2000 vintage. It has a BPCMC control. I am really not familiar with this machine although I have read quite a few threads on CNCZone and other forum's. I'm pretty sure the BPCMC is a DX32 control, is this correct? Or are their differences between them?

We have not moved the machine yet. What is the best way to move this machine? The sheet metal comes so close to the ground, it would be hard to get forks under it. There is a panel directly in front, right in the center that allows access to the casting, but the area between the leveling pads seem very narrow for a set of forks. I did notice a large hole thru the casting at the rear of the machine, just behind the head. I would say it's aprox 2" in diameter. Did Bridgeport intend this as a lifting point for an overhead crane? Problem with this idea is that we can only see the one hole.

So, you guys that have these and have moved them, what method did you use?

Next, did Bridgeport ship this machines with shipping brackets that would lock the head to the table (like a HAAS for instance) or will bringing the head down on some wooden blocks suffice? I do not want to damage the ball screws and/or linear ways in transport. The machine needs to be transported aprox 50 miles, mostly by interstate.

And last, is there a counterweight in the back and should it be locked in position somehow? Maybe that's what that large hole in the casting is for?

Thanks,
    Nate

Re: Bridgeport TC1g Questions

I moved a TC3 a while back. The machine wasn't under power so I had to lower the head manually onto a block. We loaded on one end with a large forklift and unloaded with a telehandler. The machine will need to sit on cribbing to get the forks under it. You'll need some steel plates if you opt to use the levelers but a toe jack is preferred. Overall it was an easy machine to move. Make sure you take out the cabinet leveling feet or you'll likely bend them up.

It's a DX32 control. My thread below has some details on how I added USB support and network support.

Here's some photos from my move here:
    New (to me) VMC

No counter weight.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately the company we purchased the machine from can't locate the manuals. Does anyone know where I could get a set? Would gladly pay for someone to copy theirs or scan and put in pdf format.