585,914 active members*
3,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Bridgepot R8 Collet

I just got a PCNC1100 and it didn't come with the R8 collet. I found out that this is an accessory - which is stupid because you can't use the machine without it. The drawbar isn't an accessory, so why should the collet be? Anyway, I have a 3/4" bridgeport R8 collet, can I just use that or do I have to use Tormach's collet?
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Re: Bridgepot R8 Collet

Quote Originally Posted by scott216 View Post
    I just got a PCNC1100 and it didn't come with the R8 collet. I found out that this is an accessory - which is stupid because you can't use the machine without it. The drawbar isn't an accessory, so why should the collet be? Anyway, I have a 3/4" bridgeport R8 collet, can I just use that or do I have to use Tormach's collet?
    When I bought my PCNC1100 (several years ago) Tormach were having trouble with the length of the R8 collet vs the depth of the recess in the top of the TTL holders. The flange of some of the holders weren't making contact with the spindle nose. Tormach have since improved the TTL holder tolerances and (most relevant for you) shortened the R8 collet to eliminate any interference problems. I have never seen a standard Bridgeport collet but it might work if it's short enough so the TTL flange is pressing firmly on the spindle nose. However, its not easy to tell whether its not quite touching, just touching or firmly pressed against it. If you've just got your machine you may be testing with light cuts at first just to get used to the machine so it may be ok for a start. I would definitely order the correct collet before you start any serious milling.
    Step

Im almost positive mine came with the machine, I didnt order any extra R8 collet, that was about 3.5 years ago though.
    mike sr

Probably only comes with it if you order one of the TTC sets that has it included. If I had to guess I would say that they don't include it because people either use the TTS sets or they use a set of R8 collets in different sizes. No point in including a $50 set of R8 collets for someone that will use only TTS holders and no point in including a TTS collet for someone that will be using R8 collets. Pay for just what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by brian257 View Post
    Probably only comes with it if you order one of the TTC sets that has it included. If I had to guess I would say that they don't include it because people either use the TTS sets or they use a set of R8 collets in different sizes. No point in including a $50 set of R8 collets for someone that will use only TTS holders and no point in including a TTS collet for someone that will be using R8 collets. Pay for just what you need.
    I did order the large operator kit with the machine.
    mike sr

The standard collet will work fine for machining but may very well not be repeatable in z height. I use a standard 3/4 collet right now.

If you bought the CNC Operators kit, I'm pretty sure it should have included a TTS collet. You CAN use ANY R8 collet (as you would if you were not using TTS), but a normal R8 collet will likely not give you Z height repeatability even with TTS toolholders, as the TTS toolholder may not seat against the spindle nose as it is supposed to.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I didn't buy any of the tooling kits. I think it would be better if they removed the R8 from the kits and just included it in with the machine. I tried the bridgeport collet and the TTS tooling doesn't seat against the bottom of the spindle. I'll have to order the collet from Tormach. I'm annoyed they didn't notice this in when then generated my quote and tell me it was missing.
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

If one were to use a regular 3/4" R8 collet for TTS then one could grind the R8 collet down on a belt sander or bench grinder if there was interference with the TTS holder preventing it from making contact with the spindle face.

You buy a full size Bridgeport mill, it won't come with a collet set either. That is not unique to Tormach.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    If one were to use a regular 3/4" R8 collet for TTS then one could grind the R8 collet down on a belt sander or bench grinder if there was interference with the TTS holder preventing it from making contact with the spindle face.
    +1 on grinding down the face of the collet, nothing critical about the face as long as its deburred with enough clearance.
    mike sr

I use er collets only. Why would I want a 3/4 r8 collett?

You probably can. It is likely to project down a little lower below the spindle nose than the Tormach collet. Check that this does not prevent each TTS from contacting the spindle nose when tight. Also check it is concentric by gripping a test piece and indicating while revolving. Some R8 collets are not accurate enough. Keen

Quote Originally Posted by inov8r View Post
    Do you use a TTS ER collet? If so you need the R8 to hold the TTS. If not, how do you get consistent Z-height?

Quote Originally Posted by inov8r View Post
    It is used with the Tormach tooling system to hold tools and collet chucks etc in the spindle.

If you have a router or high speed spindle, some of those have an ER chuck mounted on them so you would only change the er collets for different sized cutters.
    mike sr

I don't see anything listed as a TTS "large operator set" on their web store. I see the CNC operator's set and the manual operator's set and they both clearly state that they come with the R8 collet.

I didn't buy any of the tooling kits. I think it would be better if they removed the R8 from the kits and just included it in with the machine. I tried the bridgeport collet and the TTS tooling doesn't seat against the bottom of the spindle. I'll have to order the collet from Tormach. I'm annoyed they didn't notice this in when then generated my quote and tell me it was missing.
    The spindle is designed (and sold) to accept R8 tooling. If you wish to use TTS tooling then you should have bought the correct R8 collet when you bought your TTS tooling. You should actually be annoyed with yourself in that you didn't understand what you were doing when you ordered your machine.

It wasn't missing, you didn't order it!

In any case it's a trivial exercise to face the end off a standard collet with a carbide lathe tool.

Phil

I just got a PCNC1100 and it didn't come with the R8 collet. .......- which is stupid because you can't use the machine without it.
    Actually you can use the machine with standard R8 tooling, which is what the rest of the world uses. Hence the drawbar as standard.

You should learn to ask yourself "What have I misunderstood here?"

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Do you use a TTS ER collet? If so you need the R8 to hold the TTS. If not, how do you get consistent Z-height?
    I do not use tts. I only use 1 or 2 tools per job so I touch off on each one.

So you use a R8-ER holder? If so then you have no need for the 3/4-inch R8 collet.

Page 1 of 2 12