585,712 active members*
4,258 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Changing bearing on 3KW water cooled spindle.
Page 1 of 2 12

Changing bearing on 3KW water cooled spindle.

Hello all,

For a while now I been hearing a squeaking sound coming from the top of my 3kw water cooled 100mm spindle on start up and shutting down that's been progressively getting louder and more constant. I'm fairly certain its coming from the top bearing and now its time to disassemble and replace. Been doing a lot of research here and thanks to the very informative thread by Kevincnc (A look inside a 3kw water cooled spindle) I think I'm ready to tackle this project.

I already ordered my Kluber Isoflex NBU 15 but I'm going crazy trying to figure out what 7003 bearing to purchase. I'm looking at pricing from $10.00 to $300.00. I prefer to get a quality bearing, my main concern is to get the right one. Kevincnc posted in his thread 7003 CETA but wasn't able to find that model # with any searches. Do I need a single 7003C angular contact bearing
    ( C= 15 degree)? Any info as to what type/model would be a great help. I haven't been using the spindle because I'm concerned it may damage the bottom 7005c angular contact bearings that sound fine.

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: Changing bearing on 3KW water cooled spindle.

If you have just a single Bearing at the top, ( Some have 2 ) then you you could use almost any AC Bearing, ABEC 5 will be ok for that Bearing it does not need to be that expensive, Just make sure you assemble it the right way and you will be fine, use the correct amount of Grease that the Bearing needs, if it is sealed you won't have to worry about the Grease, if you use the wrong amount of Grease if you need it, the Bearing will overheat, and can be damaged quite fast

17x35x10,7003-2RS #5 RPG,Metric, Angular Contact Bearings
    Mactec54

Thanks Mactec54, Yes its a single bearing on top. I just purchased the 7003 bearing you linked. I already purchased Kluber Isoflex NBU 15 but going with the sealed bearing like you suggested was a safer choice for a newb like myself.

Thanks again and really appreciate your help,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    Thanks Mactec54, Yes its a single bearing on top. I just purchased the 7003 bearing you linked. I already purchased Kluber Isoflex NBU 15 but going with the sealed bearing like you suggested was a safer choice for a newb like myself.

Thanks again and really appreciate your help,
    Dan
    Just make sure when you assemble it you have the Bearing facing the right way, it's a little harder to know/tell when they are sealed
    Mactec54

Hmmm, didn't think that mattered with a single bearing. What am I looking for to determine the right way?

Thanks
    Dan

Hmmm, didn't think that mattered with a single bearing. What am I looking for to determine the right way?

Thanks
    Dan
    Yes it sure does you have a angular contact Bearing, not a regular Ball Bearing, this AC Bearing with the wavy springs under it control the Preload on your front 2 bearings

Did you note how the old Bearing was mounted, then if so hold it in you hand, and see how you can move the inside of the bearing & note which way the center of the bearing can move up & back down into the Bearing seat, one way the balls are seated pushing the other way they will not be
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes it sure does you have a angular contact Bearing, not a regular Ball Bearing, this AC Bearing with the wavy springs under it control the Preload on your front 2 bearings

Did you note how the old Bearing was mounted, then if so hold it in you hand, and see how you can move the inside of the bearing & note which way the center of the bearing can move up & back down into the Bearing seat, one way the balls are seated pushing the other way they will not be
    Don't have spindle apart now and was waiting until I received the new bearing. Will definitely take note how old bearing is installed. Hoping once I receive new bearing and disassemble spindle and have old bearing in hand, this will make more sense to me. I will definitely take pics and post here.

Thanks again,
    Dan

Didn't get far before running into my first problem. Going to have to pick up and adjustable pin spanner wrench kit.

Attachment 299402

Didn't get far before running into my first problem. Going to have to pick up and adjustable pin spanner wrench kit.

Attachment 299402
    You most likely will have to make the pin wrench, it's best to use the 4 pin holes, that thread also may be left hand so be carefull and don't get caught out with that, you need more special custom tools also for the taking the front nut out, you don't want to damage any of these parts as they are all part of the spindle balance
    Mactec54

You most likely will have to make the pin wrench, it's best to use the 4 pin holes, that thread also may be left hand so be carefull and don't get caught out with that, you need more special custom tools also for the taking the front nut out, you don't want to damage any of these parts as they are all part of the spindle balance
    Yes, I see that now. That bolt is recessed in approximately 3/4" (19mm) and pins wont reach to hold. I didn't think I had to remove the bottom bolt/plate since I was only replacing top single bearing. I guess once I figure out how to remove top bolt I will see.

Thanks,
    Dan

Hello All, I finally got around to making tool and replacing top bearing on spindle.

Attachment 302356

Attachment 302358

I purchased 1/8 steel pins in local hardware store and inserted in drilled holes on bolt.

Attachment 302360

Using the 5mm threaded holes made it easy to separate.

Attachment 302362

Attachment 302364

My biggest concern was making sure I installed new bearing correctly. I tried following Mactec54 instructions but was unable to see/feel any movement from center of bearing on new or old bearing. I was able to see a difference in size from the outer and inner sleeves of bearing.

Attachment 302366

The other side.

Attachment 302368

Grounded the forth pin.

Attachment 302370

outer ring shoulder possible was on the ""top""
    at least in lathe machines it was the "last" bearing..

picture with ""XS"" mark is the outside of the bearing..

by the way, thank you for this topic..

Dan911

Your photo of the bearing,that I have attached, this needs to face towards the Top of the spindle

Make sure the o'rings are in good shape, you don't want any water to leak into the motor windings

Good job with your wrench and Ground wire
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    outer ring shoulder possible was on the ""top""
    at least in lathe machines it was the "last" bearing..

picture with ""XS"" mark is the outside of the bearing..

by the way, thank you for this topic..
    It would be good if you new what this subject is about, people that post information like this, is only confusing for someone trying to figure out what to do, if you have done these spindles before we would like to hear correct information posted, it helps everyone, that is trying to repair their spindle
    Mactec54

my answer was same mactec..
    true I have difficulties with English..

thi sbearing is on the top

the picture where XS visible is the ""shoulder"" side of the outer ring

means that hold the spindle, or rotor against the force ..

outside means the xs marked toward "outside"" probably not the best description.. but it is..
    inside would mean the motor inside..

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    my answer was same mactec..
    true I have difficulties with English..

thi sbearing is on the top

the picture where XS visible is the ""shoulder"" side of the outer ring

means that hold the spindle, or rotor against the force ..

outside means the xs marked toward "outside"" probably not the best description.. but it is..
    inside would mean the motor inside..
    you were talking about a lathe spindle, this has no relation to a lathe spindle bearing placement what's so ever, and are assembled completely different to any kind of lathe, if you don't have Spindle experience then don't make guesses
    Mactec54

Dan911

Can you do some photo's of the spacer & wavy springs or does it have some small springs around a ring and where these are these placed this makes a difference as to which way round the bearing is mounted, I just changed it in the first post this is with the wavy springs under the Bearing, you are not showing all the parts in your photo
    Mactec54

I would buy the same type of bearings, but SKF.
    These are cheap and the bearings will work some years.
    I wouldnt change the bearings for cearmic bearings. These are to expensive and to sensitive.
    And, the spinde needs good conditions to take good bearings. I think this spindle dont have the tollerance that you need to mount ceramicbearings.

Dan911

Your photo of the bearing,that I have attached, this needs to face towards the Top of the spindle

Make sure the o'rings are in good shape, you don't want any water to leak into the motor windings

Good job with your wrench and Ground wire
    Yes that's how the old bearing was installed and how I installed new one.
    I never really completed the tool I made to remove bolt. I planned on cutting bolt the depth of the correct socket size of bolt so face of bolt/pins was flush with bottom of socket. Than I would be able to use rachet to remove. Hope this make sense. I will complete and post pics so I have for future use.

I hope this clears up any confusion, it's very easy to determine the difference from each side of bearing. Each raceway(outer and inner) of the bearing has a thin and wider side. Like mactec54 posted
    the wider inner raceway faces the top of spindle against the bolt. Pics below show the new sealed bearing with old bearing each side.

Attachment 302398

Attachment 302400

Dan911

Can you do some photo's of the spacer & wavy springs or does it have some small springs around a ring and where these are these placed this makes a difference as to which way round the bearing is mounted, I just changed it in the first post this is with the wavy springs under the Bearing, you are not showing all the parts in your photo
    Sorry Mactec54, got so caught up with installing spindle bearing and my wife rushing me to clear stuff off dining room table before company comes for New Years party I missed that pic. It had 3 wavy springs and 1 spacer. The pic below is from Kevincnc's thread, mine was exactly the same. I also put a link to his thread and is what I used for reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spings and spacer.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	302402

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/spindl...er-cooled.html

Quote Originally Posted by al_ge View Post
    I would buy the same type of bearings, but SKF.
    These are cheap and the bearings will work some years.
    I wouldnt change the bearings for cearmic bearings. These are to expensive and to sensitive.
    And, the spinde needs good conditions to take good bearings. I think this spindle dont have the tollerance that you need to mount ceramicbearings.

I found these bearing on Aliexpress. When the time comes for main front paired bearings to be replaced I will used these. The bearings I linked have ceramic balls but there also available in steel.
    The biggest breakthrough I think here, from what I read on internet, is that your able to do a complete overhaul on spindle with all new bearings for a little over a $100.00 bucs!! With a 3kw spindle this is a big savings, and having them in hand when spindle bearings do fail its comforting to know you can be back up and running in a few hours.

1pcs MOCHU 7003 7003C 2RZ HQ1 P4 17x35x10 Sealed Angular Contact Bearings Speed Spindle Bearings CNC ABEC 7 SI3N4 Ceramic Ball-in Angular Contact Ball Bearing from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

7005 7005C 2RZ HQ1 P4 DT A 25x47x12 *2 Sealed Angular Contact Bearings Speed Spindle Bearings CNC ABEC 7 SI3N4 Ceramic Ball-in Angular Contact Ball Bearing from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Page 1 of 2 12