585,556 active members*
3,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > CONVERT .DXF TO OLD STYLE .NCI CIRCA 1993

CONVERT .DXF TO OLD STYLE .NCI CIRCA 1993

I HAVE A HOTWIRE FOAM CUTTER DESIGNED AND BUILT BY AN OUTFIT THAT USED TO BE IN NEW JERSEY AREA.

THE PC SCREEN READS "ACME FOAM" AND USES DOS FOR OPERATING THE 2 AXIS MACHINE.

THE FILES IT USES TO CUT THE PATTERNS ARE .NCI FILE TYPE.

I NEED HELP FINDING A FREE PROGRAM SOURCE (OR INEXPENSIVE IF POSSIBLE) FOR CREATING THESE .NCI FILES SO THE BUILT IN HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE CAN CUT CUSTOM STYRO FOAM PATTERNS.

ANY IDEAS ANYONE? - - - THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

Re: CONVERT .DXF TO OLD STYLE .NCI CIRCA 1993

Is it a techno? I used to have an old techo control that took in *.nci files....basically old mastercam files without post processing i think. Mastercam 5.52 was what I was using at the time? Call a dealer about something that old and they'll just laugh....maybe someone has an old setup that can run a file for you to check?

Re: CONVERT .DXF TO OLD STYLE .NCI CIRCA 1993

Or, find a programmer that can make a program to read the dxf and make the nci. For foam cutter with examples to go from, might not be too hard. Technically the right post processor setup would probably work too.

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer View Post
    Is it a techno? I used to have an old techo control that took in *.nci files....basically old mastercam files without post processing i think. Mastercam 5.52 was what I was using at the time? Call a dealer about something that old and they'll just laugh....maybe someone has an old setup that can run a file for you to check?
    thats exactly what happens... dealers want me to ditch the old ($32000) and buy new again... frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer View Post
    Or, find a programmer that can make a program to read the dxf and make the nci. For foam cutter with examples to go from, might not be too hard. Technically the right post processor setup would probably work too.
    ive looked for .dxf to .nci converters but cant find any... a programmer might be the answer... thx