585,996 active members*
4,679 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Find center of hole

I really miss the ability to probe the center of a hole, I dont want to set it as origin just locate it in relation to the origin.

Re: Find center of hole

Quote Originally Posted by SPRSkip View Post
    I really miss the ability to probe the center of a hole, I dont want to set it as origin just locate it in relation to the origin.
    If you know the dimensions from the center of the hole to your origin can't you probe the hole, move X and Y those dimensions and re-zero the DRO's?
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

What I want is to reverse engineer a part and find the center of a hole in relation to the origin

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm assuming the origin you want to use is a corner, or some point you can measure X and Y.

If so, you could zero the probe in the center of the hole, then do X and Y probes to find the distance to the edges, write down the distances, then re-zero on the origin you want, and you would know the position of the hole from the measured X and Y.

Terry

Unfortunately the zero is also a hole but I have used the zero hole to a corner as well then fire up the calculator.
    Thanks

Sounds like you got it figured, but I do agree with your original statement. You should posts it to Tormach's bugs and suggestions list as an enhancement for path pilot.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by SPRSkip View Post
    What I want is to reverse engineer a part and find the center of a hole in relation to the origin

I would use gauge pins of proper size and calipers. Place pin in hole and measure required surfaces of part. Then subtract half the radius of the gauge pin to get correct center to surface dimension. Using pp and a probe to measure parts for reverse engineering to me would be incredible tedious. Not that it cant be done and they have software for such things. In my opinion it would be one of my last choices for reverse engineering and finding accurate sizes. I mentioned a while back my tool budget has been focused on this for some time. The cost of measuring tools, gauge blocks, gauge pins, surface plates.............................can add up.