585,948 active members*
3,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Just Purchased Hurco SM1 - Need help

Just Purchased Hurco SM1 - Need help

So I just purchased a Hurco SM1, but ofcourse I'm having issues. It's not yet in the shop, so it doesn't have power, but I want to get ready for the upcoming challenges. I'll probably have to retrofit it, as I don't have the master cassette. Is there an easy and CHEAP solution to be able to use the existing drives? Is there a way to test the servos and drives without the master? I assume I can manually trigger the spindle contactor to get it moving, but I'm not 100% on that. Also, how does the control cabinet open? I cannot get the handle to turn, and there's a little spring loaded screw in it, but that only turns about a 1/4 turn and the darn handle still doesn't move. This machine has been in storage for a really really long time before I got it, but I don't want to wreck the box bashing the handle if I'm missing something simple. Here are some overall shots of the mill if you that helps:Imgur album

Thank you,

Ben

Re: Just Purchased Hurco SM1 - Need help

Okay, I got the side cabinet open, I was too gentle with the handle. I've updated the album with inside-the-cabinet shots. Anyone know where I can get a manual and diagram? Still no master tape. I wonder if it has an updated board, as everything in there was very clean, but I don't know what PN to look for.

I finally have it inside, no master tape. Can anyone send me a BX diagram so I can figure out how to test my servo drives and motors? I'll be doing a retrofit and I'll be selling boards I don't need, but I want to test everything first. Maybe I can reuse the drives. I sure hope I can reuse the servos.

Fired up the controller last night, screen says "Load Master Program." Fans come on and I have green lights on all three servo boards next to CC+ and 2 green lights on a board with large capacitors on the servo board motherboard. I could really use a diagram of the servo control board, or directions on where to apply voltage to make the servos move so I know if they are any good.

Welp, I'm just gonna keep talking to myself. Tested the servos, Z was jerky, so I pulled it out and cleaned the mouse crap out of the tach, now it's smooth. I'm planning to retrofit it, as I cannot justify spending 500 dollars on a tape emulator to restore 31 year old electronics when a Mesa board kit is 280, and a VFD (giving me spindle speed control) is 140. With that I'd have a more modern control (LinuxCNC). I could really use electrical diagrams for the power box and the control box, but I realize this isn't a very busy forum, so I'll probably just make it up as I go and hope I don't fry myself.

Just me again, I got some diagrams from Hurco, they had 4 manuals and I believe the diagrams are good enough. If you need manuals, PM/email me. I ordered 2 master tapes from a guy off cnczone. Who knows if it'll work, I have my doubts. If it does, at least I'll be able to prove the memory boards, servo control board, interface board and control panel before I sell them on Fleabay. I'm planning on removing the isolation transformer, or maybe not, I haven't actually decided yet. I'm going to run the spindle off a VFD I bought for my lathe until I can save up the beans to buy one to put in the cabinet. When I do mount a VFD in the cabinet, I'll probably ditch the contactors, I should be able to sell those too. I also plan on removing the air-pressure switch, so I don't always need air. Hopefully the mist cooling works, I've heard that's the best way to go. I really need to find some Kwik-Switch 200 tool holders... and tools. Still trying to figure out why this thing has so many relays, I plan on simplifying the wiring a lot.

Mesa is no longer selling boards direct, they have a dealer now. At least he's not raising the price, but he still doesn't have stock. Mesa Electronics US

Sounds like you're coming along on the machine. One thing you might consider instead of going with mesa is a Martin CNC control upgrade. He has his own Hurco upgrade system it replaces the main board and the memory boards as well and has the masters burned into permanent memory on the board. It allows for NC (g-code) and conversational programming. I have an MB1 of a similar generation with his upgrade, and I'm pretty happy with it. He also offers free phone tech support (if you can get a hold of him) and he might be able to help you do some testing before you upgrade. If you did use that system you wouldn't be able to do as much changing in the back cabinet since it works a lot like the original. The main advantage to a system like that is they are a lot easier to setup and install.
    As far as finding tool holders goes I would check tools-n-gizmos they have some new and used holders.

Thanks Gaheiras, I'm not sure I care to keep the control stock, I've already bought the Mesa boards, although if the cassettes work, I'll worry about actually doing the retrofit when something craps out. The MPU boards with onboard masters are $1200, tape emulators are $480, and it's just not worth it to me when the Mesa boards are 280, and this is a hobby machine. PathPilot (LinuxCNC base) is probably the software I'll go with, and it has some excellent conversational too. If I don't use the Mesa boards on the mill, I'll use them to convert my lathe to CNC, using LinuxCNC/PathPilot.

Today I borrowed a VFD to check for spindle noise while I wait for my VFD to arrive. Fired it up in low, and it was nice and quiet. That's when I noticed the motor and varispeed belt was turning but not the spindle. Turned it off and threw it into high gear. Fired up and the spindle whirs along nicely with no bad noises. The varispeed adjusts nicely. A little investigation found the timing belt MIA. I'm beginning to suspect this is the main reason it was pulled out of service, as one belt cover was removed when I bought it, and there's belt debris in there, but no belt. The large timing gear turns smoothly, and in low the spindle hand-spins fine and the gears mesh nicely. Now the question:

Can a Bridgeport timing belt (1-1/8 wide, 42 teeth) be used instead of the Hurco/Clausing/Kondia belt (1-1/4 wide, 42 teeth)?

I didn't know the boards were that much. He offered me an upgrade for less than that I thought, but it may have been less boards than you would need.
    The belt would probably work if it will fit in the pulley, and the teeth mesh, but I don't know since my MB1 is direct drive on the spindle. Maybe one of the other guys here can help you there or you could talk to martin cnc he probably has something for those.
    Good luck with the machine I'm happy it seems to be going well.

So the cassettes worked... sort of. I've verified my memory boards and servo board and MPU are all good. The cassettes load off the master and I can program in conversational. The problem is that the buttons on the control are... finicky at best. "Auto" "Start" "Check" "Enter" and "Single Cycle" all work maybe half the time. The spindle buttons, with the exception of the brake, are even less reliable. That pretty much seals it for me, time for a retrofit. I'll be selling off the memory, MPU, interface, CRT, Cassette reader, etc, and switching to LinuxCNC with the Mesa boards. Digging through the diagrams, it appears this control used a hodgepodge of control voltages, which may make my work a little more difficult. I have 5V, 24V, and ±15V. I really want to save the amps, servos, encoders and limit switches, everything else will go. Is there any build thread for a Hurco SM1, KM3, KM3P or KMB1 where the amplifiers were reused? I have a Mesa 5i25/7i77 kit, so I have analog control signals.

The button problem is typical. You just need to clean the contacts (button and board inputs), but I don't blame you for just starting a conversion. It's probably easier in the long run. Though I will say don't judge a controller by it's age. I love my 26 year old fanuc OM controller.
    There is a KMB1 conversion thread here that you might find useful. It's Mach3, but that should be close enough.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hurco/...ersion-25.html