585,926 active members*
3,869 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser always at an angle off last mirror

So I noticed my laser cutting thicker materials at a slight angle, and aware that this is somewhat natural due to laser strength and air assist didn't think too much of it. However, I now noticed it is actually cutting at an angle (over cutting at the top of the piece and undercutting at the bottom).
    I've spent quite a few hours now realigning all mirrors, and just can't seem to get the laser to leave mirror #3 perpendicular to the bed. Or when I think it is, it is not leaving the nozzle. I've searched everywhere for something that resembles this particular problem and have followed mirror alignment guides including the Rabbit Laser one ( http://www.rabbitlaserusa.com/Manual...Alignment.html).

I'm left thinking the whole mirror #3 and nozzle piece is somehow misaligned as a unit? You can see in the photo that the nozzle doesn't appear to be perpendicular to the bed (and yes I've checked the bed and machine with a spirit level)
    The second photo shows where the laser lands at a distance. Any adjustments to bring the laser to center is when the laser gets lost in the nozzle.
    Really appreciate any help with this one!

Re: Laser always at an angle off last mirror

I had to shim one side of my lens holder to get a cut that wasn't angled it is call tramming the head

Thanks for info...I'll check it out. Is there any go to resource on how to best do this?

Is this black tube with tape, your lensholder?? It is surely misplaced..
    When you post a clear picture of the whole part (with mirror, lensholder etc) I can think out what to do.. Are you able to make things yourself? (do you have something like a lathe, CNC-mill etc)

Kees

Yes, that is the lensholder. I'll get a photo of the whole part, but I am definitely thinking fixtureman was on the money. Just a matter of working out how to go about it as I can't make things myself.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mirror3 top.jpg  

From what I can see from your photos the 3rd mirror / lens tube holder need to be turned fractionally to make the lens tube vertical. If the hole of the screws holding it on are large enough, then just loosening them a bit and turning anticlockwise might be enough to make the assembly square to the bed. If they're not large enough, then I would remove the assembly and either drill or file the holes a little larger to allow the assembly to turn enough to get it vertical. Good luck!

If the lens is off like that I would do what TCorder said and maybe drill both holes just a little larger to get more movement.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at with drilling out the holes, but I think I've fixed it by mounting a bit of high density rubber between the two bottom screws, allowing me to adjust the angle by tightening/loosening them. Will see how it holds up after a bit of use.