585,708 active members*
3,823 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lathe Encode noise

As I was dialing my collet closer, I notice this noise coming from the encoder itself near the belt area.. do you guys have the same noise running 200 rpm?

Re: Lathe Encode noise

Mine did the same thing but it was not the encoder as I thought at first. On the spindle bore is a ring that has a single Phillips head screw. Remove that screw and tighten that ring, replace the screw and the knock should go away.

Chris

Chris, not sure where that single philips head screw you've mention... not familiar with this lathe or any lathe whatsoever... yet. As I pull the belt down to rotate the spindle the noise is definitely coming from the rotary encoder, I can feel the click/thug sound when I put my hand on it as i rotate the spindle.

If you remove the collet drawbar assembly on the spindle you will see the ring and screw. The clunk you are feeling is most likely the spindle keyway key that is moving. I called Tormach when mine did this and John told me to as I described. I used a pin spanner wrench and tightened the ring and the clunking stopped.

If that is not it I would call Tormach on it. But it sounds like what mine was doing and the sound and vibration transferred down the belt. You can verify this by removing the belt from the encoder and running the lathe without the belt to see if the clunking changes.

Cbyrd, found the Philip screw that you're talking about and also emailed tormach few days ago and they replied with the same suggestion. It didn't fix the noise that I have, but I did remove the rotary encoder belt you suggested and the noise went away without the belt. I readjust the belt tension and the noise is now gone. I notice the pulley/tensioner requires a bit of tweak to align it properly. It's quieter now.... It seems to vibrate less as well... It could just be me..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Mine starts to click from time to time. I normally check the belt and screws, If everything is ok I just ignore it. May not be the best way but that is what I do.

Chris

Someone want to snap a picture of this. I have been all over mine in the last few days and haven't seen it that I know of. Mine made in occasionally when I first got the lathe, but it is very rare that I hear it now. Still worth knowing about.
    Lee

I remember mine doing something like that when it was new. It certainly does not now. I don't remember if I did something to fix it or not.

Mines new and after a couple of first parts mine is doing this as well at low rpm.

Jesse

https://youtu.be/ET97cXPsdag

Here is where the noise is coming from on mine. I cant quite pin point it but i think its where i point to in the video. Check it out.

FWIW, I don't hear the clicking on mine, which is about the same age as yours. I did hear a tick-tock but that was just one of the collet pawls flipping back and forth as I hand turned the spindle.

Mine got really bad again and i just took off the encoder mount and re-attached it with what i thought was good belt tension and sound totally went away.

Jesse