585,715 active members*
4,019 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Losing features when importing solidworks file into mastercam - please help

Losing features when importing solidworks file into mastercam - please help

I have a solidworks file and everytime I import it into mastercam x9, I tend to lose a lot of features. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here's what it should look like:

Here's what it ends up looking like in mastercam:

The file I'm trying to import is a standard .sldprt file and the solidworks version is 2015, mastercam version is x9.
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ttt.PNG  

Re: Losing features when importing solidworks file into mastercam - please help

What procedure are you doing this ?

Mastercam file looks like an STL file was used
    - STL files are the worst format for accurate data transfers, as the export accuracy can be pre-set, same as the import accuracy ( you can have a sphere end up being imported like a multi-faceted golf ball )

- Mastercam can open the native Solidworks file

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    What procedure are you doing this ?

Mastercam file looks like an STL file was used
    - STL files are the worst format for accurate data transfers, as the export accuracy can be pre-set, same as the import accuracy ( you can have a sphere end up being imported like a multi-faceted golf ball )

- Mastercam can open the native Solidworks file
    Thanks for your reply.
    As I mentioned, it is a .sldprt file that I am trying to import. The procedure is: Open mastercam, click open file, browse to the .sldprt file and open it. I'm not sure why it's doing what it is. I have attached the file to this post if that helps.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by najama2 View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    As I mentioned, it is a .sldprt file that I am trying to import. The procedure is: Open mastercam, click open file, browse to the .sldprt file and open it. I'm not sure why it's doing what it is. I have attached the file to this post if that helps.

Thanks again.
    Sorry, missed the info under your pics
    - don't use Solidworks, don't have Mastercam at home.......so a little ad-lib
    - Mastercam pic looks as if it has a lot of un-necessary geometry ? how many solids are being imported ?

Can you try a different method, to see the quality of the Solidworks file
    - in Solidworks, use the "Save Some" ( if available ) and select just the solid model ....and save it as a STEP file
    - import that STP file into Mastercam ( set import options to bring it in as a solid, & also create wireframe entities ) BEFORE hitting the OK button

This should come into Mastercam as you have seen it on the Solidworks screen

Sorry, missed the info under your pics
    - don't use Solidworks, don't have Mastercam at home.......so a little ad-lib
    - Mastercam pic looks as if it has a lot of un-necessary geometry ? how many solids are being imported ?

Can you try a different method, to see the quality of the Solidworks file
    - in Solidworks, use the "Save Some" ( if available ) and select just the solid model ....and save it as a STEP file
    - import that STP file into Mastercam ( set import options to bring it in as a solid, & also create wireframe entities ) BEFORE hitting the OK button

This should come into Mastercam as you have seen it on the Solidworks screen
    That worked! Thank you so much, I truly truly appreciate it! Thank you

I do have another question however, how can I create a pocket on a ramp? Like this feature for example: Attachment 285946
    If i select a pocket toolpath and try to do it like normal, I get the error: "Warning - the boundary does not lie in the construction plane"

Thanks.

I do have another question however, how can I create a pocket on a ramp? Like this feature for example:
    If i select a pocket toolpath and try to do it like normal, I get the error: "Warning - the boundary does not lie in the construction plane"
    Use the "Xform Project" to copy that boundary to a flat plane (your active Cplane, & Z construction level ), then use that closed contour for your boundary

Use the "Xform Project" to copy that boundary to a flat plane (your active Cplane, & Z construction level ), then use that closed contour for your boundary
    But then when I go to machine it, it will just machine a flat plane, will it not? I am trying to machine a ramp.

But then when I go to machine it, it will just machine a flat plane, will it not? I am trying to machine a ramp.
    What has that to do with the question you posed ? ( "Warning - the boundary does not lie in the construction plane" )

Now you say you want to machine a 3D feature with a 2D operation ?

Try using a Surfacing operation