585,982 active members*
4,541 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Mag-Fadal 4020 Blowing DATC Relays

Mag-Fadal 4020 Blowing DATC Relays

As stated in the title, our 2006 Mag-Fadal (GE FANUC Control) has blown 2 dual arm tool changer relays since we bought it used about 6 months ago.

The first time it happened was a little after we bought it. The set screw retaining the plunger on the tool change arm had come loose, allowing the plunger to extend too far outward. The next tool change obviously caused it to crash and overload the motor, which blew the relay. The second time (today) was caused by a much stranger occurrence. The operator turned around to check part A while part B was in the machine and when he turned back around to take part B out, noticed that the arm was stuck mid-tool-change and the tool in the spindle was missing. Come to find out, the spindle didn't orient correctly, causing the arm to hit the orient fingers and overload again, blowing the relay again. I do NOT know what caused the orientation issue yet. Any ideas there would be welcomed also.

I am not an electrician, so I don't really understand these components, but aren't overload relays supposed to trip like a breaker and be able to be reset? I don't see why I'm paying $100 a piece for these things when I could be changing out $3 fuses or resetting breakers instead. Come someone tell me why this is done this way so I don't sound like a fool when I call Fadal and complain about it? Thanks!

Re: Mag-Fadal 4020 Blowing DATC Relays

If the Z doesnt come up all the way, the gearbox has issues, the whole changer isnt positioned correctly you will pop relays. It should be examined by a REAL fadal tech from that era of dual arm changers (2001-2007)
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Ohm the motor and make sure you have oil in the gearbox.. then realign the datc...

Quote Originally Posted by scruz View Post
    Ohm the motor and make sure you have oil in the gearbox.. then realign the datc...
    Run a M84....this will sync the belts to the spindle motor...