585,735 active members*
4,821 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My 5 axis breakout board to 1 watt laser driver TTL Input

Hi,
    I want to convert my cnc machine to a laser engraver. I saw a lot of video and article online where people did the same but with a different breakout board. So i went ahead a bought the laser kit. And I though i would be able to find some instruction online on how to do this. But I can't find any body who has the same cnc breakout board as me. This is the one i have: -

This is the laser that i bought :-

How do i have mach3 send the laser on/off signal to the laser driver pin. I have done some research and found that you can use the pin 16 and pin 17. On my board is the pin17 is on the right top corner land next one 16. But it is a relay pin from what i kw and how can you send a high freq signal on a relay. I am confused* ???
    But any way, I try setting the spindle to pin 17 and then send in the M3/M4 command from mach3. But i didn't see nothing on the multimeter, which was expected. I also tired pin 16 as well same result. But how are ppl using those pins to switch laser on off???
    Please help me mostly of the discussion or article that i found does't apply to my driver board it seems or the information is very scattered. I am stuck ?????
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150626_005.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	284724

Re: My 5 axis breakout board to 1 watt laser driver TTL Input

Mach3 isn't able to turn those ports on and off fast enough to operate a laser. At least that's what I found. However Mach3 is very good at timing the X-Y motion with the Z spindle So it doesn't move until Z is down. So you could use a switch at bottom of a fake Z axis. Or I use a cam mounted to a small stepper with a switch. Just make sure you always set the depth to a set number when you want the laser to come on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am kind of a beginner at this stuff, I didn't quite understand what u meant.
    But here is something i tired Today i installed the mach3 laser engraving plugin and followed the instruction as stated in the pdf doc of the laser engraver
    https://www.machsupport.com/forum/in...0;attach=26734
    After setting the digit trigger pin and start the program. I went hunting for the PWM signal on the pin(8,14 etc) using a multi meter but it was 0V. I tried various other pins but same results
    Attachment 284780
    Attachment 284782

You are not going to be able to roster scan photos with Mach3. It's only good for vector cutting
    Roster required varying the PWM input to a laser so it's not simply on and off. They make DSP controllers for that.
    The PWM out of Mach3 is for changing speed on a spindle which is too slow for laser control.
    There may be other ways to do it but it would take a lot of customization.

If i can get it to work with vector I am quite happy with that. And by vector you means just simple polygon lines. Kind of the same way a cnc router cuts a piece as the bit follows a line. Could you recommend some scenarios that i can try to make this work.
    I am also looking into Arduino or raspberry pi as an another alternative, but i would have to change the wiring to my cnc machine every time i want to use the laser. So i will keep this as a last resort.

The arduino could help set the PWM voltage to the laser based on which switch or combinations of switches are activated by the cam. To get started just figure out how to generate the proper voltage to turn the laser on. Look up voltage divider circuits. Then hook it up to one micro switch that gets hit by some rotation of the z axis stepper. A cam is nice in that if you make a mistake it can turn round and round without crashing. Then set the depth to hit the switch and you are in business.

I think i have figure out how to turn the laser on and off using the M3 and M4 spindle command.
    Here is what i did......
    so it turned out that pin 16 and 17 are the load end of the relay on my BoB. So if i attach my multimeter to pin 16 & 17. I get an open circuit. But under "Ouput signal" tabs if i set the output#1 pin to 16. and then i turn the spindle ON, my multimeter showed that the circuit is closed and relay led turn ON. I was even able to open/close the relay using M3 and M5 commands.
    For the above senario if i use pin 17 instead of 16 nothing works. the relay doesn't close.
    So now what software can i use to generate the Gcode for the laser using the M3 and M4 commands ????
    Attachment 285070
    Attachment 285072
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150629_007.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	285074

Its done!!!!!!!! ;D
    got it working. I was able to engrave at 5 IPM. I am using Inkscape plugin called "J tech photonics laser tool" which is a vector engraving plugin. which allow you to create a M3 & M5 command.
    Attachment 285570
    Attachment 285572

Good progress. On the J tech website it didn't mention an Inkscape plugin. Or did you mean Mach3? Is the speed limited to 5 imp?

here is the link to the plugin.......
    http://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=2012
    I can only do 5 IPM because of the 1 Watt laser, its just not powerful enough for me to go any faster. I mean my machine can do 250 IPM and even more if i lubricate it properly but any faster then the laser wouldn't engrave.
    I am planning on buying a 40 watt co2 laser machine from ebay that run about 370$$$ and savage the parts from it and put it on my cnc machine. Its funny cause if you buy the parts separately like the tube($250), powersupply($100 cheap one or $200), mirror($100 each), then you got the noozle, water pump etc etc. I just doesn't make sense buying all the parts separately rather just buy the whole machine which come with every thing you need even a water pump and a air pump.

Laser link: High Precise 40W CO2 Laser Engraving Cutting Machine ENGRAVER Cutter USB Port | eBay

If you have the ability to make a frame I'd purchase decent components and build one. At that price you won't be able to do much assuming it works at all. You could build a machine for just under 2k that would work as well as something you purchase for 3k. Because optics are critical use linear slides. Work from the frame out as you can afford more components. If you want to cut wood then target 50 watts. Plan for smoke extraction and cooling. I'd stay with what you have if that sound too much

what would be the equivalents in this breakout?where should I connect it?

https://sc01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB11SZ6M...Xq6xXFXXXw.jpg

Are asking how to connect the laser module to this breakout board?
    I don’t think it will do what you want. PWM out is the control you need but it’s designed to turn a spindle on and off. Won’t have the speed to cycle the laser.
    However you could cycle it with a switch riding on a cam connected to the z axis. Go down 1mm for power on and 0mm for off. This would only give you one power for vector cutting only- no photo engraving. Set the power levels in Mach3 by changing spindle speed

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    Are asking how to connect the laser module to this breakout board?
    I don’t think it will do what you want. PWM out is the control you need but it’s designed to turn a spindle on and off. Won’t have the speed to cycle the laser.
    However you could cycle it with a switch riding on a cam connected to the z axis. Go down 1mm for power on and 0mm for off. This would only give you one power for vector cutting only- no photo engraving. Set the power levels in Mach3 by changing spindle speed
    Yes , i was asking about that. im havent interest in photo engraving. Just cut adhesive vinyls.

So i should use PWM but this card PWM said 5V and my laser is 12V.. u think it work anyway?
    I have 2 cables , Red and Black.
    I imagine i should conect red(+) to PWM 5V
    and black (gnd) where? AVI? the other output.... im afraid break the laser module.. is same of this thread, 2.5w 12v chinesse.

THANSK U !! ! i really search a lot of pages, youtube , forums and only find Arduino or db.25 lpt1 breakout boards wiring diagrams.. nothing about usb breakout boards.

PWM creates any voltage up to what ever it says. So a low speed in Mach3 would result in a low voltage on this pin. Which only changes power on the laser

I’m not sure that you are understanding a key point. You can turn the laser on or off using this port but you have to cycle it between lines. You can’t just leave the laser on. The software isn’t capable if cycling the pin. It’s like turning the spindle on while in cut and off between cuts.

The minimal control for a laser power supply is three wires. Ground, PWM and control. Control is for high speed cycling. PWM sets power. They also have a water pin to enable only if water is running.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    The minimal control for a laser power supply is three wires. Ground, PWM and control. Control is for high speed cycling. PWM sets power. They also have a water pin to enable only if water is running.

Thanks u for ur repplys Dean! and sorry for my poor grammar

This is the Laser

i only see 2 free cables , my idea is conect it and use m3/m5 editing Gcodes....

Water?
    i will try do it when laser comes and if dont works i have Arduino board in some place of my house.... a lot of tutorials on net about Arduino + tt laser.

Thanks u again.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCexplorer View Post
    Its done!!!!!!!! ;D
    got it working. I was able to engrave at 5 IPM. I am using Inkscape plugin called "J tech photonics laser tool" which is a vector engraving plugin. which allow you to create a M3 & M5 command.
    Attachment 285570
    Attachment 285572
    Hi I've been searching the internet for this solution. I have the same breakout board. My spindle is connected to pins 16 and 17. Does your gcode turn on your laser and spindle at the same time?

Could you tell me what parts I need to buy for the laser hardware? I was considering buying a 5kw rather than a 1kw.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk