585,973 active members*
4,170 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > My Step Motor doesn't work I need replacement Info

Question My Step Motor doesn't work I need replacement Info

Hi guys this is my very first post, I'm kinda new with CNC machines, I have a friend who bought a CNC machine 2 years ago and I helped him set it up a few months ago, He is using it to engrave small aluminum plates, He has no manuals or info about the CNC machine but I believe it is a 3020 CNC, recently the X axis stepper motor started to get stuck and it wouldn't move, yesterday I disassembled it, and there seems to be nothing wrong with it, I exchanged it for the Z axis stepper motor, and now now X axis works fine but Z axis gets stuck, so it's definitely the stepper motor but I can't find it anywhere and I don't know what motor can I use to replace the current ones, all info I have is a sticker in all 3 stepper motors that says "57yc-41x1201" I believe 41 is the size of the motor I don't know where can I find a similar motor to replace my faulty one. All help is greatly appreciated

Re: My Step Motor doesn't work I need replacement Info

It's rare for problems of this sort to be attributable to the stepper motors themselves. It's usually the fault of the drivers and associated electronics, which are known for their poor quality. But disassembling a stepper motor will kill it, so even if it wasn't bad before, it probably is now. It's probably a NEMA 23 frame motor, not a 41. Look for one with low induction, under 2.5mH. Be ready to replace the control box as well.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi thanks a lot for the reply, the motor even after disassembling it is working, because I replaced the x for the y but only the motor not the internal gears and the working one kept working and the faulty one is still faulty, I apologize for my ignorance but the model says 41x1204 that is not part of the specs of the motor? Now the nema 23 are there plenty types? or models? something I missed describing was another number in the label which is 1.8 I read those are step degrees? if you could point me out on a specific I'd appreciate it.

Nema 23 is a size of a bolt pattern. Now i have you of these 3020 cnc the drives are junk could replace the bad one with a new one.But your at the right point to upgrade the driver and motor with power supply If done right you be glad you did.
    "You can buy cheap parts and you can buy good parts But you can not buy good cheap parts" I bought some cheap drives at $25 each 3 of them one was bad for the start so I replaced it week later the new one came then the next one went i ordered 2 more this time so i have one for the 4th axis i waited a week to get them i found some online for $15 from china i ordered one to have an extra So now i have $200 in cheap drives I get the two i odered i put it in works great I leave room 3 mins up in smoke I bought the $40 drivers now $320 in drives i could have got a gecko g540 one of the best for less I bought my steppers and the good drives the break out board power supply form amazon