585,670 active members*
4,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New HAAS's have an issue

Anyone who is thinking about buying or has a HAAS machine with the "red grease" in it should think again. I have a VM2 that has started to rust around the rails because of an issue with the grease reacting with the coolant that I was never informed about. I took this up with HAAS and they told me that it was my fault and because of that my warranty was voided so I would have to replace the rails myself. I did some researching and have seen other people with the same rust that I have and it was the same issue with the same treatment from HAAS. They have known about this issue for 2 years at the very least and they still fail to try and fix the problem or at least tell people that "hey we can't use these coolants because it causes problems with our grease" they just wait for you to start having the problem and then they basically tell you that you should have known all along and because of that it's all your fault so they wont fix it.

Re: New HAAS's have an issue

greg7639

I don't know what the Grease has to do with it, your linear rails are lubed by a pressurised oil system,

what nasty coolant have you been using, & is it approved by Haas for use in their machines

Who's lubrication oil have you been using most good quality oils have anti rust additives
    Mactec54

Mactec 54 New HAAS machines do not use pressurized oil systems anymore they went to a grease system to keep the way out of the coolant. They started with a red grease and now have changed to a purple grease ( mixture of red grease and way oil)

This is what the HFO service manager has told me. He also told me haas will only approve 2 coolants by castrol. So anyone with a new machine be careful. I think this is a bigger issue than they are letting on.

Quote Originally Posted by greg7639 View Post
    This is what the HFO service manager has told me. He also told me haas will only approve 2 coolants by castrol. So anyone with a new machine be careful. I think this is a bigger issue than they are letting on. New HAAS machines do not use pressurized oil systems anymore they went to a grease system to keep the way out of the coolant.
    Have never had a way oil in the coolant problem, I think they are just following a trend, that other manufactures have done for years on using Grease lube

There are a lot of coolants that are real nasty, no matter what machine it is used on, or what the lub system is, If they have an approved coolant then that is what you have to use, this is not an unusual thing, there are a lot of machine manufactures that you can only use approved coolants, in their machines, most people don't take any notice of this, until it is too late

IF your machine is this new, how did you know that the linear rails were rusting ????

You need to say what coolant you are using, so others don't use the same coolant, in these Grease lubed machines????

All of our Haas machines are oil lubed, but have tried many different coolants, one coolant we used did a lot of damage to one of our machines, plus trashed tooling & collets, so everyone needs to be careful with coolant selection
    Mactec54

Mactec54 I used the same cimcool coolant in my Fadal (way oil machine)for years and no issue and no rust. The only reason I found rails rusty it started making a noise in th y axis. When they pulled the covers back the rail were rusty. It took the almost 5 months to come up it is a coolant problem. The machine is a 2012. Just becareful when you go to purchase a new one. I think this is going to be a big issue for HAAS in the future.

greg7639

For the linear rail to get rust were the bearings run, it sounds like it was not getting enough lubrication

I used cimcool for a total of 2 days in one tryout in a Haas machine, & dumped it, If you want some I can ship it to you for the shipping cost, I also ran another coolant Greencut for 2 years, & it almost destroyed the machine, similar to what has happened to your machine, is your Fadal a linear rail machine,or the box way there is a big difference

It also sounds like the way covers are not doing what they are there for, are the ballscrews Ok, some of the Fadal machines had a one piece way cover for the Y axes so this would never be a problem for those machines with a one peice way cover
    Mactec54

Doesn't cimcool have chlorine in it? Think that was a major problem with semiconductor shops, I don't see that stuff around any longer.

Yeah, that's a coolant issue.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Mactec the ball screw looks great. On that machine it is a one piece way cover in the y axis in the back where the rust is. The other haas vm-2 machine I have is a year old and the same coolant has been used in that and no rust. The one that the problem is in has had the y bearings replace after 3 months and the covers off several times for other warranty work. I know that if it was a coolant issue both should be the same?

Mactec the ball screw looks great. On that machine it is a one piece way cover in the y axis in the back where the rust is. The other haas vm-2 machine I have is a year old and the same coolant has been used in that and no rust. The one that the problem is in has had the y bearings replace after 3 months and the covers off several times for other warranty work. I know that if it was a coolant issue both should be the same?

This is really good information, this tells me the service person never sealed the way covers correctly from the other repair's, & the coolant has leaked, down onto the rails

That coolant you are using is nasty, that is why I dumped it, I would not use it, even if it was free, Even though I would not blame the coolant for what has happened

I would say without a doubt, it was caused by bad assembly/installation of the of the way covers, when the repair's were done
    Mactec54

What is the date of manufacture for both machines you are referencing?

Has anyone seen a issue with rust forming on your rails on the new red grease haas machines?

We have 3 "red grease machines" (VF2-SS, VF3-SS, VF3SSYT) and we run Cimcool cimperial 821. All rails were rust free when i last checked few months ago when we did some annual cleaning and service, no problems what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnCNC View Post
    We have 3 "red grease machines" (VF2-SS, VF3-SS, VF3SSYT) and we run Cimcool cimperial 821. All rails were rust free when i last checked few months ago when we did some annual cleaning and service, no problems what so ever.
    Keep an eye I grease usage I have had lube lines plugged from the filler in the grease.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    This is really good information, this tells me the service person never sealed the way covers correctly from the other repair's, & the coolant has leaked, down onto the rails

That coolant you are using is nasty, that is why I dumped it, I would not use it, even if it was free, Even though I would not blame the coolant for what has happened

I would say without a doubt, it was caused by bad assembly/installation of the of the way covers, when the repair's were done
    Coolant is not the issue grease lines plugged from filler in grease and no lube getting to bearing trucks