585,967 active members*
4,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma tool life management
Page 1 of 2 12

Okuma tool life management

Hello Guys!

I need to use tool life management on my Okuma - we've just installed new bar feeder and it would be really great if we could use that function. I found out there are 4 kinds of tool life management in manual: a) number of machined workpieces, b) accumulated cutting time, c) accumulated tool wear amount, d) tool gauging data. They're very interesting options, but I heard there is an option to measure a torque to find worn out tool. And it would be awesome and the most useful for me. I know how to find a torque for subspindle (when I use second spindle to catch a part) - G22. But how to use it or something similar to find worn out tool? And how to execute from my machine "you founded a died tool? -> Change that tool on the other or just stop the machining"

Regards!

Re: Okuma tool life management

hi, let's get simple : cut "n" parts with one tool, and see how tool wear evolve; increase "n" until tool is out of order ... "n" becames the measure, when you must change the tool.

how to measure wear :
    1) look at tool cutting edge, is it still sharp ? tool edge may get visualy damaged, but also cutting propertries may decrease without visual damage; consider to reduce process by 10 .. 20 % ...
    2) look at load monitor values ... are they constant ? consider to change tool when loading raises with 10 .. 20 .. 30 %
    3) how are parts dimensions evolving ? if one dimension get a sudden deviation, look at the afferent tool

Those 4 kinds of tool lofe management are just tools to help you, but you must decide what to do :
    a) number of machined workpieces ... just run trials until you must change the tool
    b) accumulated cutting time ... if program runs on bar feeder, and cutting process is always constant, than this case is similar to a)
    c) accumulated tool wear amount ... define wear amount
    d) tool gauging data ... i don't know whats that, or if i knew, i didn't know it was called like this

what do you mean about torque ? i think is "load monitor" ... This "load monitor" can stop your machine if cutting efort is above a limit ...

Hello! Thank you for the respond I want to turn my machine on the non-human control. To be honest, I suppose it can be very risky, if I use one of proposed type of tool wear measure. Propably, your're right - I want to use load monitor. It's more safe, I think. Machine would automatically "feel" something is going wrong and it can stop the whole process. I found some tips about it, but these are very general info. I do that kind of machining (with using that option) for the first time and I don't know how to prepare program corretly and what does Okuma need to "feel" disrubtions from my process. Do you have any sample of that kind of program? And maybe some other tips? I'm going to fight with it in the coming days, so let the adventure begin...

technical draw please ...

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The most simple that I found Tourning face and whole sleeve with one little chamfer, drilling and tapping. My controler is OSP 100L if you need that information.

i'll send you code with load monitor lines ... do you have load monitor on your machine ? ... i don;t know osp100l

I suppose I have (it's a little described in my OSP100L manual) and I need to know what torque I have when I catch a part with the second spindle, so maybe it is. I'm not at work right now, but on the moring it will be first thing which I check

i ll also show u tommorow how load monitor woks ...

OK

pls see attached file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you very much for your attachement! you asked about have I got load monitoring. And it was very good question. You predicted my actuall issue :O I was sure we have function "monitor load" and "monitor set" (I'm not sure they sound exactly like that, but I'm sure they are and they needed to load monitoring) on my control panel, but unfortunately I discovered they are not active (something wrong with my PLC? :/) and more...I can't find a page about tool data setting (tool life management - any screen about it). I have some pages about offsets, tool shapes, etc. But no more. Now I'm really suprised. There is any special floppy disk needed for this function? I was sure we have full NC and PLC Okuma functions for that type of machine. If I find how to correct it, I'll write as soon as it possible or you have any idea what can be wrong?
    Regards!

hi, i don't know how to "install/set up" load monitoring on your machine ... consider talking with your Okuma dealer, or just post a new thread in Okuma's forum ... maybe someone knows

kindly !

On your machine it will be in auto mode listed under LOAD MONITOR function button. I know it used to be an option but has become standard on P200 and newer controls. I'm not sure if it was standard yet on the P100, but could definitely be added. Load monitor and tool life management can be combined so that an overload can trigger tool expiration by simple parameter setting. This will allow you to use a count number of 100, but if overload occurs at 90, it will flag the tool no good and try to switch to the next available redundant tool.
    If your AUTO SET button and MONITOR buttons are non functional, you probably need to add the option. If they are functional, you would run your program once with AUTO SET on to capture normal load values, then turn on MONITOR once normal values are captured. I have a program that will tweak the auto set values, so let me know if you have the option and which machine you are on and I will send it.

hy wizard > : D < ... what "tweak" do you have ?

Typically when auto setting load values, the Okuma uses based values times a % value that is set in your parameters. By default they are 110 and 120%. This works great if your load values are about 60%, but works poorly if your load is around 10% or at 95% because the values will be set too tight or too loose. I've requested to Okuma to have them auto set to Base plus a fixed value, but to no avail so far. So I got creative and wrote a routine called AUTOSET-FIXR.MIN that does just what I want. Now instead of a 99% chance of failure after auto set, it's 99% chance of sucess using based + fixed values.

I've attached a copy of the program written for a LT300-MY. To use it, run your program through using fresh tools & AUTO SET. Then run the AUTOSET-FIXR program. It will go through all 64 registers for every axis and adjust them to Base + fixed value in a matter of seconds. Next call up your program again turn off AUTO SET and turn on MONITOR and away you go!

If your machine doesn't use all of the axis this machine does, just put what you don't need in parenthesis to skip what your machine doesn't have.

I would have attached this earlier, but was responding from my phone, so I didn't have access to the file.

Best regards,

AUTOSET-FIXR.MIN

G13
    G140
    (THIS PROGRAM CHANGES LOAD MONITOR VALUES TO BASE+ FIXED VALUES
    RATHER THAN BASE * PERCENT VALUE
    IT WILL ALSO ZERO OUT 1ST AND 2ND LEVELS IF BASE IS ZERO
    USE AMT1 AND AMT2 FOR 1ST AND 2ND LEVEL SETTINGS OVER BASE LOAD
    TLN = STARTING VLMON# ETLN= ENDING VLMON#)
    (********)
    TLN=0 AMT1=7 AMT2=14 ETLN=64 (PARAMETER SETUP FOR A TURRET)
    (********)
    NSTRT TLN=TLN+1
    NETLN IF [TLN GT ETLN] NEND
    NCKAL TOTB=VLMSB[TLN]+VLMWB[TLN]+VLMXB[TLN]+VLMYB[TLN] +VLMZB[TLN]+VLMMB[TLN]+VLMCB[TLN]+VLMBB[TLN]
    TOT1=VLMS1[TLN]+VLMW1[TLN]+VLMX1[TLN]+VLMY1[TLN] +VLMZ1[TLN]+VLMM1[TLN]+VLMC1[TLN]+VLMB1[TLN]
    IF[[TOTB+TOT1]EQ 0]NSTRT
    NMSB IF [VLMSB[TLN]EQ 0]NZS ( SPINDLE )
    VLMS1[TLN]=VLMSB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMS2[TLN]=VLMSB[TLN]+AMT2
    GOTO NMWB
    NZS VLMS1[TLN]=0 VLMS2[TLN]=0
    NMWB IF[VLMWB[TLN]EQ 0]NZW ( W-AXIS )
    VLMW1[TLN]=VLMWB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMW2[TLN]=VLMWB[TLN]+AMT2
    GOTO NMXB
    NZW VLMW1[TLN]=0 VLMW2[TLN]=0
    NMXB IF[VLMXB[TLN]EQ 0]NZX ( X-AXIS )
    VLMX1[TLN]=VLMXB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMX2[TLN]=VLMXB[TLN]+AMT2
    GOTO NMYB
    NZX VLMX1[TLN]=0 VLMX2[TLN]=0
    NMYB IF[VLMYB[TLN]EQ 0]NZY( Y-AXIS )
    VLMY1[TLN]=VLMYB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMY2[TLN]=VLMYB[TLN]+AMT2
    GOTO NMZB
    NZY VLMY1[TLN]=0 VLMY2[TLN]=0
    NMZB IF[VLMZB[TLN]EQ 0]NZZ ( Z-AXIS )
    VLMZ1[TLN]=VLMZB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMZ2[TLN]=VLMZB[TLN]+AMT2
    GOTO NMMB
    NZZ VLMZ1[TLN]=0 VLMZ2[TLN]=0
    NMMB IF[VLMMB[TLN]EQ 0]NZM ( M-AXIS )
    VLMM1[TLN]=VLMMB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMM2[TLN]=VLMMB[TLN]+AMT2
    GOTO NMCB
    NZM VLMM1[TLN]=0 VLMM2[TLN]=0
    NMCB IF[VLMCB[TLN]EQ 0]NZC ( C-AXIS )
    VLMC1[TLN]=VLMCB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMC2[TLN]=VLMCB[TLN]+AMT2
    GOTO NMBB
    NZC VLMC1[TLN]=0 VLMC2[TLN]=0
    NMBB IF[VLMBB[TLN]EQ 0]NZB ( SPINDLE 2 )
    VLMB1[TLN]=VLMBB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMB2[TLN]=VLMBB[TLN]+AMT2
    GOTO NLOOP
    NZB VLMB1[TLN]=0 VLMB2[TLN]=0
    NLOOP GOTO NSTRT
    G14
    G141
    (THIS PROGRAM CHANGES LOAD MONITOR VALUES TO BASE+ FIXED VALUES
    RATHER THAN BASE * PERCENT VALUE
    IT WILL ALSO ZERO OUT 1ST AND 2ND LEVELS IF BASE IS ZERO
    USE BMT1 AND BMT2 FOR 1ST AND 2ND LEVEL SETTINGS OVER BASE LOAD
    TLNB = STARTING VLMON# ETNB= ENDING VLMON#)
    (********)
    TLNB=0 BMT1=7 BMT2=14 ETNB=64 (PARAMETER SETUP FOR B TURRET)
    (********)
    NSTRT TLNB=TLNB+1
    NETLN IF [TLNB GT ETNB] NEND
    NCKAL TOBB=VLMSB[TLNB]+VLMWB[TLNB]+VLMXB[TLNB](+VLMYB[TLNB]) +VLMZB[TLNB]+VLMMB[TLNB]+VLMCB[TLNB]+VLMBB[TLNB]
    TOB1=VLMS1[TLNB]+VLMW1[TLNB]+VLMX1[TLNB](+VLMY1[TLNB]) +VLMZ1[TLNB]+VLMM1[TLNB]+VLMC1[TLNB]+VLMB1[TLNB]
    IF[[TOBB+TOB1]EQ 0]NSTRT
    NMSB IF [VLMSB[TLNB]EQ 0]NZS ( SPINDLE )
    VLMS1[TLNB]=VLMSB[TLNB]+BMT1 VLMS2[TLNB]=VLMSB[TLNB]+BMT2
    GOTO NMWB
    NZS VLMS1[TLNB]=0 VLMS2[TLNB]=0
    NMWB IF[VLMWB[TLNB]EQ 0]NZW ( W-AXIS )
    VLMW1[TLNB]=VLMWB[TLNB]+BMT1 VLMW2[TLNB]=VLMWB[TLNB]+BMT2
    GOTO NMXB
    NZW VLMW1[TLNB]=0 VLMW2[TLNB]=0
    NMXB IF[VLMXB[TLNB]EQ 0]NZX ( X-AXIS )
    VLMX1[TLNB]=VLMXB[TLNB]+BMT1 VLMX2[TLNB]=VLMXB[TLNB]+BMT2
    GOTO NMYB
    NZX VLMX1[TLNB]=0 VLMX2[TLNB]=0
    NMYB(IF[VLMYB[TLNB]EQ 0]NZY)( Y-AXIS )
    (VLMY1[TLNB]=VLMYB[TLNB]+BMT1 VLMY2[TLNB]=VLMYB[TLNB]+BMT2)
    GOTO NMZB
    NZY VLMY1[TLNB]=0 VLMY2[TLNB]=0
    NMZB IF[VLMZB[TLNB]EQ 0]NZZ ( Z-AXIS )
    VLMZ1[TLNB]=VLMZB[TLNB]+BMT1 VLMZ2[TLNB]=VLMZB[TLNB]+BMT2
    GOTO NMMB
    NZZ VLMZ1[TLNB]=0 VLMZ2[TLNB]=0
    NMMB IF[VLMMB[TLNB]EQ 0]NZM ( M-AXIS )
    VLMM1[TLNB]=VLMMB[TLNB]+BMT1 VLMM2[TLNB]=VLMMB[TLNB]+BMT2
    GOTO NMCB
    NZM VLMM1[TLNB]=0 VLMM2[TLNB]=0
    NMCB IF[VLMCB[TLNB]EQ 0]NZC ( C-AXIS )
    VLMC1[TLNB]=VLMCB[TLNB]+BMT1 VLMC2[TLNB]=VLMCB[TLNB]+BMT2
    GOTO NMBB
    NZC VLMC1[TLNB]=0 VLMC2[TLNB]=0
    NMBB IF[VLMBB[TLNB]EQ 0]NZB ( SPINDLE 2 )
    VLMB1[TLNB]=VLMBB[TLNB]+BMT1 VLMB2[TLNB]=VLMBB[TLNB]+BMT2
    GOTO NLOOP
    NZB VLMB1[TLNB]=0 VLMB2[TLNB]=0
    NLOOP GOTO NSTRT
    NEND M2

In your part program, for load monitor, you will need to put the VLMON[#]=## before the cut you wish to monitor. After the cut, you will need to enter VLMON[Same number as before]=0. If you don't and you try to do another VLMON[##]=## you will get an alarm.
    When you use it during a LAP cycle, you will most probably need an M216 for "load monitor G00 ignore ON". 217 for off. Otherwise during rapid, the load may register as too high and alarm, or if you choose to "Auto set", your load may be too high to see a broken tool.
    You can manually enter the values in the limit levels screen you see in one of the pics the kitten attached.
    Your "auto set" is controlled by parameters in Optional Parameters Load Monitor 1, so you can fine tune how the machine populates the values.
    Below those is "Over load alarm in tool life management". Set to "Tool life flag on". Above the percent parameters are some timers. Over load alarm is for flagging a tool in TLM, tool breakage, self explanatory.
    The system variables for setting these values in a program are:
    VLMXB[##]=###
    VLMX1[##]=###
    VLMX2[##]=###
    The "X" will be replaced with whatever axis you are manually setting the level for. I have operators who like to change values so they don't have to change inserts, so I always program them in. Then there's forgetting to turn "Auto set" off.
    On the P300 I literally JUST did this on (hence the detail), VORD[0001C] is for Monitor on/off (1/0 respectively). VORD[0001B] will be your auto set on/off. (1/0).

That said, load monitor and TLM are not exclusive or. It isn't one or the other (assuming your machine has both options). You can use multiple tool life counters based on number of parts, cut time and wear offset. I usually set up both Time and number of parts. At the beginning or end of your program you will need to put "TLID".
    Doesn't matter where. This will check the tool life for the tools using TLM in the program and trigger an alarm to alert the operator. If he ignores it here, it will again alarm when the tool that is expired is called until it is addressed.
    If you cannot see the TLM pages in your tool data screens, press "Display Change", then black arrow over (extend). You will see "Menu Change" under F1. Check the box for "All Display". There is a series of rows and columns that need some data. Time is listed in Hours:Minutes. Fill in the Set column for what you're using. Now, on the left you will see "turret station number" or something then some blank boxes (maybe some numbers if someone in time changed them). The tool in position 1 needs to be monitored for life, you need to give it a group number here. Doesn't matter what it is. For arguments sake, we'll make it 1. So you will have turret pos. 1, tool group 1, say 50 parts under number of parts set, and 0 for actual. You also need to put an offset number under OG1. This will match your tool number or whatever offset you wish to use. At this point it is CRITICAL you press INIT (initialize). then the group number 1 and OK. Otherwise the control will not use the data and you will most probably get a series of confusing alarms. That said, if you have a redundant tool in position 8, you will arrow down to that row. Under tool group, you will also put "1". fill in the data, and when you get to the OG1 column, put 8 to match the tool number. Then INIT tool 8 as well.
    In your program, you will reference TG=1 OG=1. It will find the turret position that has a 1 in it for group number, and index to that, then look at the column for OG1 and use the offset number in that column for that turret position. Once tool life expires, it will search for the next tool in OG1, which is tool 8, index to that position, then use the offset number under OG1 for turret position 8, which is 8. Once life expires on both, an alarm will occur.
    Load monitoring will trigger the tool life flag on this page if the first load limit is exceeded for longer than the parameter. This will "skip" that tool even if it has life left based on the settings.

If you have a tool you don't want to monitor, you will keep your tool calls as T##XX@@ for wear offset, turret position and length offsets respectively, whereas if you do want to monitor a tool, you will replace that with the above mentioned TG=# OG=#.
    A sample of the code I have used before (in INCH for this part) is below. Also, I use the VLMON[1]=1+2 format so I can easily tell which axes are being monitored for more than one. Otherwise, you may see VLMON[1]=35 and have to spend some time figuring out that is the W axis, Z axis and X axis all being monitored:

NTR01 G97 S=3.82*750/2.05 TG=7 OG=1 X2.05 Z.05 M4 M61 M63
    G96 S=750 M8M101M89
    VLMON[1]=2+1
    G85 NFAC1 D.05 U0 W0.005 F.012
    NFAC1 G82
    G0Z0
    G1X.125
    G80
    VLMON[1]=0
    G0 Z.1
    X2.05 M61 M63
    VLMON[2]=2+1
    G85 NROUG D=.125 U.06 W0.002 F.015
    NROUG G81
    G0 G42 X1.125-.06 Z.05
    G1 Z0 F.024
    X1.125 Z-.03
    X1.125 Z-1.03
    X2
    Z-1.5
    G40
    G80
    VLMON[2]=0
    G0 G97 S1000 M4 X5 Z5 M61 M63 M64 M102M88
    M1

Sorry for the wall of text. The machine I'm working on went down before I could get to it today so I've got some time to burn while that's being fixed.
    Hope that helps.

(Wrote this apparently while Wiz was writing his up, so some info is redundant. Sorry)

Tea hole,

Good post and sample.

1 correction:

M216 = Load monitor G00 ignore ON
    M215 = Load monitor G00 ignore OFF (usually not needed)

Best regards,

Good catch. I'm an idiot.
    Usually I put M216 on one of my first few lines and never turn it off.

That said, that's a slick macro.
    Because I always hard code the values per part so my operators don't "run into any random machine events" (otherwise known as "screw with stuff they shouldn't touch") I'd never looked into anything like that.
    If you don't mind, I'd love to add it to my macro tool box. It sure would be useful in determining the values to hard code!

nice tips tea and wizz ... TLM i didn't used it yet, because i am not into such mass production

Of course feel free to use the macro and pass it on. I put it in every Okuma that I touch that has Load Monitoring. It saves tons of time and headaches.

Best regards,

Page 1 of 2 12