585,557 active members*
3,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 14 12311

Ordering a lathe.

Guys, I decided to get the Tormach lathe. I had initially wanted to get this a few years down the road, but found I have an immediate need. I have actually needed it for awhile. I just did n't realize just how much until I ran the numbers of parts we make each week.
    All manually cycled of course. I built a small cnc lathe a while back. It makes these parts well, but uses a 7/12 spindle head. Can't easily automate that.

I was intending to wait until Tormach produced an auto closer for this. That would be the main feature lacking in my little lathe. Bar puller could have been easily implemented on it and will be on the Tormach.
    My production parts are all brass and Delrin. Nothing hard to machine. No coolant, though that will be handy later.
    I didn't spring for the Turret or full enclosure. I really like gang tooling. It's what I am used to and comfortable with. No learning curve for the turret.
    That is a luxury that may come at a later time.
    I did order the QCTP. The starter gang kit and a few extras. I did order the 3 jaw chuck just in case I ever want to turn stuff that will not fit into a collet. That will be rare.

Anyway, they should receive the check one day next week.
    Probably close to Friday. How long after order confirmation does delivery usually take?
    II know my mill took only 5 days from Canada.
    Lee

Re: Ordering a lathe.

Congrats! I look forward to hearing your opinions about it and seeing what you do with it.

Thanks.
    I think I will like it a lot.
    While my little one is okay, it is pretty much dedicated to production of my parts. One key difference in the Tormach is that it will be able to do many different kinds of parts with the same setup, just by having extra tools on board.
    This area will be where I have to do some more learning. I am not really up to speed on all the different turning and threading tools available. On my 7/12, I basically just used brazed tools or HSS bits that I ground myself. A few HSS threading tools as well.
    I didn't order any tools with the lathe.
    I do have a few here and will order some more, but only after a bit of research.
    Should be interesting. Looking forward to it.

Also looking forward to getting some of the dead weight out of the shop.
    My cnc router still works okay, but it needs a BOB. Really needs a new electric cabinet. Would not hurt to tear it all down and install all new skate bearings.
    Rather than all that, I will either sell it or moth ball it.
    I built a quick install table on the plasma cutter and it does double duty now. Even doing both plasma cutting and routing, it only works a couple hours a week doing one or the other.

I have the HF round column geared head mill that I have never used.
    Both of those are taking up very valuable shop real estate. The lathe should fit very comfortably in that space.
    Lee

I have looked around to see how Tormach will make an auto closer on the collet, but haven't actually seen the prototype yet.
    I have some air cylinders and controls here that I bought when I was playing with a PDB on my little mill a few years back.
    I am thinking that I could use one of those to actuate the lever arm. Thoughts on that?
    In the mean time, I will check out the commercial closers. They are a little pricey though so far.
    Lee

No other thoughts yet?
    I am unfamiliar with 5C collets and closers anyway. I have seen them, but never actually used one. I don't know too much about the auto chucks either and what type of base plate is needed to be able to mount and use one.
    All of that stuff sounds extremely expensive. I do not think I need an auto chuck. At least not initially. It sounds like an auto collet closer is a less expensive investment.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    No other thoughts yet?
    I am unfamiliar with 5C collets and closers anyway. I have seen them, but never actually used one. I don't know too much about the auto chucks either and what type of base plate is needed to be able to mount and use one.
    All of that stuff sounds extremely expensive. I do not think I need an auto chuck. At least not initially. It sounds like an auto collet closer is a less expensive investment.
    5C collets are great if your stock is <= 1-1/8 and consistent and well sized for OD. They don't work so well on material like PVC round stock that tends to be oversize and highly variable on OD. An air chuck with soft jaws should work for everything else that will pass through the spindle bar. As you say they are pretty expensive, but I picked up a used Northfield for $450 in anticipation of getting the SBL. I hope to do that soon.

How long did it take from order until your lathe shipped?

Mike

I decided just to lease it. It is basically a lease to own though. I used the same leasing company that I used on the Novakon mill. Most of the forms were redundant, so a lot less paperwork. This can work out better for you when you file taxes. Depends on the situation of course, but it might be work investigating. at the end of the lease, it becomes yours for something like salvage price. They call it fair market value, but as it was explained to me, machine of this price range are basically too far gone after 4 years of production. So about $50.00 makes you the new owner. Great. Especially since it will already be at home.
    The bank just confirmed today that they are sending the full payment to Tormach. I don't yet have a confirmation from Tormach. I'll let you guys know when I get the ship date.

I will know more about what to buy after a bit more research I think.
    Especially once I see the lathe. That was a great price on that chuck.
    It may be an item I will have to keep watching Ebay for.

I think the tolerances on my brass rod and the Delrin are good. We will see about that though.

PS.
    Tolerances for the Delrin is .005" and for the brass is .003". That should work out okay.
    Lee

I guess an air chuck would have to have a D1-4 mount for the Tormach?

I would have to know more about the details of the lathe to even begin looking for a collet closer with the right mounting. I think an air collet closer mounts at the rear of the spindle. I am not certain what all might be needed for an air chuck, but no matter what, they will all require air controls. I think I have those already. I never did get far enough along to integrate my air solenoids to cnc. I take it that is done with an SSR? I have a good selection of stock on those too. It's the kind of stuff you start accumulating when you start building your own cnc machines.
    Lee

Here is a good thread on collet closers, and a couple options implemented by individuals here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post1607600
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Thanks, Tim.
    I was already subscribed to that thread. It is where I got my first sticker shock on closers and one reason I really wanted to wait for Tormach to release their official one. I decided it was just better to get the ball rolling already and get something working.
    I will see what I can do first with the lever DB that will come with the lathe.
    I also noticed that the monitor stand is now out of stock.
    I had one in my quote, so I hope that doesn't slow things down.
    I'm okay with that item being on backorder.
    Lee

In that closer thread, Tormach Rep mentions how the closer is activated by Gcode. Mcode rather. Since the controller is already setup for that, then a relay will not be needed. My air solenoids are 120 VAC already, so they should work. My air cylinders are just single acting with spring return. 1.5" stroke. .75" bore.
    I will have to see how that will work. I may actually need a double acting cylinder. Then of course, an air regulator like what Don is using.
    Lee

I guess an air chuck would have to have a D1-4 mount for the Tormach?

I would have to know more about the details of the lathe to even begin looking for a collet closer with the right mounting. I think an air collet closer mounts at the rear of the spindle. I am not certain what all might be needed for an air chuck, but no matter what, they will all require air controls. I think I have those already. I never did get far enough along to integrate my air solenoids to cnc. I take it that is done with an SSR? I have a good selection of stock on those too. It's the kind of stuff you start accumulating when you start building your own cnc machines.
    I hope that D1-4 is OK for the air chuck because that is what I ended up with. I remember check the spindle mount type with my cell phone while standing at the used dealer's vendor table to see if it was a match.

The Mesa board in the PathPilot controller seems to have (or can be upgraded to) plenty of spare I/O lines so the hardware part of hooking up accessories like air-operated chucks should be pretty simple. Adapting the PathPilot software and screens for additional functionality might be trickier but I know nothing of LinuxCNC so am just guessing. I have a programmer friend who might be leaned on to help in that area. I'm hopeful that 3rd party pendants can also be implemented eventually, either officially or by user intervention.

The Spindle nose is definitely D1-4. The video on installing the chuck makes that clear. You lucked out with that chuck you have. Do you have a couple pictures of it?
    I think it is becoming clearer to me as well that you either automate the collet closer or the chuck. Since you can't really use both at the same time, they need a different system for each. Maybe the same air system with quick disconnects like Don showed. Who can afford BOTH types?

Since I am just turning small bar to start with, the logical one for me is the collet closer. Now what I do not know is what size that would be on the back side of the spindle. It can't be a standard size, because I see a lot of different ones on Ebay. I will try actuating the draw bar first though.
    I haven't messed with Linux either, so I will depend on it being ready to go for the most part.

I received confirmation from Tormach today that they received the funds. They have to wait 5 days for bank clearance and the lathe should ship out Thursday. Looking forward to it.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    The Mesa board in the PathPilot controller seems to have (or can be upgraded to) plenty of spare I/O lines so the hardware part of hooking up accessories like air-operated chucks should be pretty simple. Adapting the PathPilot software and screens for additional functionality might be trickier but I know nothing of LinuxCNC so am just guessing.
    The SPL15 lathe control cabinet has a 115V outlet that is relay controlled by M-code, designated for use by the pneumatic closer. Also controlled by GUI buttons on the PC. So essentially you just need a 115V pneumatic solenoid to make your air operated chuck work.

Quote Originally Posted by ag53711 View Post
    The actual M codes for the collet closer are “M64 P2” for ON and “M65 P2” for OFF. These will change the state of the outlet marked "closer" on the back of the lathe.
    ------------
    They have to wait 5 days for bank clearance and the lathe should ship out Thursday. Looking forward to it.
    Awesome. Look forward to seeing the pictures. All this makes me want to get my hands on one too. Just installed a new kitchen sink and stove, so maybe it is my turn....
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I'll make sure to document everything. I'm sure they still have one with your name on it, Tim.
    Lee

One thing that I do not see very much of is photo's and details of certain parts of the lathe. I will make sure that I document as much as possible with some detailed photo's. There are always questions that you might have when ordering a machine simply for logistics and feasibility of certain add ons or fixtures.
    I was considering using some extra heavy duty casters on it, but now I think I will just get a bigger pallet jack. I bought one a while back that only has an 1100 pound rating. It's a mini. A full size would not have fit under the Pulsar anyway. A full size pallet jack will not work under the lathe without some cross bracing because of the placement of the tank.

The videos available are pretty good though. Nothing that cannot be worked around. We will see what I come up with.
    Lee

Correction to above. A full size pallet jack does work from the end without additional bracing. I want to place it so that my existing work bench is to the right of the lathe. It will have about 8' of space then to the south wall of the shop. I plan on using half bars so I will need to design some sort of bar holder to stop whipping. That won't be an easy task since the control cabinet sits below there and needs to swing away to access the spindle motor. Hmm. It will be a challenge.
    Lee

The Spindle nose is definitely D1-4. The video on installing the chuck makes that clear. You lucked out with that chuck you have. Do you have a couple pictures of it?
    Here you go. My manual lathe has an L-00 spindle nose so I haven't been able to machine with the Northfield yet, but I did hook compressed air up to and it seemed to actuate just fine.

Looks like you will be getting the lathe this coming week. New machine days are always fun!

Mike

Attachment 283382

That looks cool.
    The lathe will be arriving at the dept tomorrow and I delay shipment a day because of issues with the skid steer rental.
    It will be kinda slow progress setting it up.
    No need to rush it really.
    Lee

It will be interesting to hear how it works out for you. Sounds like installation should be pretty straight forward if you can use a skid steer to move it around.

Mike

Page 1 of 14 12311