585,602 active members*
3,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PathPilot soft limits

I wonder if anyone here knows how to increase the values of the soft limits?

Path pilot works well but I had to move my limit switches quite a bit to get them to work originally, it tripped out today and I noticed its about 3/8 to 1/2" shy of what I was set at before. (right side of the table viewed from the operator side)
    mike sr

Re: PathPilot soft limits

And this is the real issues about not having the setup dialogue boxes somewhere. Only high techies can handle changes.
    I understand why Tormach does it like this. Much less support problems because you know they haven't messed with the basics.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    And this is the real issues about not having the setup dialogue boxes somewhere. Only high techies can handle changes.
    I understand why Tormach does it like this. Much less support problems because you know they haven't messed with the basics.
    Yes sir, thats a fact!

I would think with the restore disk, a fellow could set it back to the defaults though.
    I lost about an inch or so of X travel and about the same in Y, sometimes I need that extra little bit of travel. I also havent a clue how to change the settings. I think this program was a take off of one the goverment or military had, probably works fine but it takes a Rhodes scholar with some goverment training to know what to do with it;, which can only be manipulated by an elite few ha!!.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    can only be manipulated by an elite few ha!!.
    So, Mike, get ready to join the elite club!
    The commands have just been implemented (I think this was new in 1.9.2). They're ADMIN commands but not too difficult:
    ADMIN SET_X_LIMIT value
    ADMIN SET_Y_LIMIT value
    Just replace value with the new distance e.g. ADMIN SET_Y_LIMIT -9.8
    The Y configuration uses a negative value so the distance must also be negative. The values need to be specified in inches regardless of the G20/G21 setting.
    The standard values are 18 for X and -9.5 for Y so use this as a basis for tests.
    Step

Hi Turbo. Where are you finding this info at?
    Is it buried in the Linux side and you dug it out?
    I have the lathe so it is different.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Is it buried in the Linux side and you dug it out?
    I have the lathe so it is different.
    Well that's how "I dig it out" but if you enter just ADMIN on the MDI line and check the error message on the Status tab this will show a list of some of the available commands - its just doesn't provide enough information on its own to be able to use some of them!
    I don't have the lathe but I just checked the code and you appear to be correct. These commands don't appear to have any affect on the lathe configuration, which isn't too surprising because you won't really need to limit the Y axis movement
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    So, Mike, get ready to join the elite club!
    The commands have just been implemented (I think this was new in 1.9.2). They're ADMIN commands but not too difficult:
    ADMIN SET_X_LIMIT value
    ADMIN SET_Y_LIMIT value
    Just replace value with the new distance e.g. ADMIN SET_Y_LIMIT -9.8
    The Y configuration uses a negative value so the distance must also be negative. The values need to be specified in inches regardless of the G20/G21 setting.
    The standard values are 18 for X and -9.5 for Y so use this as a basis for tests.
    Step

I am definitely not in the elite club, however I did think that maybe you would reply on the issue Step!
    It does pay to know what questions have a good chance of getting answered by whom though.

Thanks for your answer and direction, I will see if i can get it figured out.
    Thanks!
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Well that's how "I dig it out" but if you enter just ADMIN on the MDI line and check the error message on the Status tab this will show a list of some of the available commands - its just doesn't provide enough information on its own to be able to use some of them!
    I don't have the lathe but I just checked the code and you appear to be correct. These commands don't appear to have any affect on the lathe configuration, which isn't too surprising because you won't really need to limit the Y axis movement
    Step
    Yeah the lathe has extremely limited Y axis movement.

I did notice though that it does have soft limits in effect for the collet operation. The Z stopped just short of crashing a tool into the spindle at one point. It is possible to still crash some tools. Mine sit pretty close to the table. Maybe a bit more than an inch stickout past the X table. You can still crash them. If you install the chuck, then the soft limits are of zero value. It would really be nice to be able to set them according to how I have it configured. I may not ever use it, but I would like the chance to.
    X axis has soft limits as well, but those would not need to change.
    Lee

It works for me!!
    The machine doesnt need to be rebooted for it to take effect, I just changed the value from the default to 18.75 and it works, 19 does not, I will try adjusting the limit to see if I can get 19 inches, probably will be borderline.

Something new to work on this week.

Edit:
    The settings on X are @18.875 travel, it retains the setting thru exit and reboot.

My X travel is now back to where it was pre soft limits so far I am happy with that part of it.......

I havent worked on Y yet, maybe tomorrow.

Thank You Step for something I didnt know I had and the ability to change it with your help!!
    mike sr

What I have operating on the machine at the present time is: X= 18.75 inches travel, Y= 10 inches travel, using the soft limits.

This is working at present, not tried and true yet..

Edit: My limit switches have all been readjusted as well, I dont think these readings are possible without doing it.
    mike sr

One very important thing these soft limits solved for me was my inability to get used to the table moving to the left when I turn the jog controller to the right, I think it comes from cranking the table around on my old Bridgeport and other manual mills for 50 years ha!

Now if the table doesnt move, I just turn it the other way without tripping the limits.......
    mike sr

Thanks Step. Do you know about and can you explain also how to optimise the homing switch positions relative to the soft limits. I assume both the switch positions and soft limits are set to give clearance back from travel limits over several machines built over the years and so may be well clear on some machines. Although I noticed the X + soft limit was a long way across so maybe Tormach have kept a close control on travels over the years Keen

Oddly enough my short-table 1100 (the first few hundred are shorter than others) auto-set the soft limits without problem when I switched to PP. I figured the software just drove over to the switches, backed off 1/4" or whatever from the switch trip and set the soft limits there because I know I didn't tell it the table length.

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Thanks Step. Do you know about and can you explain also how to optimise the homing switch positions relative to the soft limits. I assume both the switch positions and soft limits are set to give clearance back from travel limits over several machines built over the years and so may be well clear on some machines. Although I noticed the X + soft limit was a long way across so maybe Tormach have kept a close control on travels over the years Keen
    That isnt really a concern, when the machine is referenced it picks up the left side limit, that is then the reference for the first soft limit, the second is set by the distance specified. ( 18" factory default in X).

I set up the left limit so that it trips approximately .100 from a hard stop, the right hand stop is set at about .100 from the right side hard stop.Then enter the new values for the X limit and reference the machine, if it doesnt trip the right hand switch youre good to go, if it does trip the limit enter a lesser value until it doesnt hit the limit.

I did modify the adjustable stop brackets on both ends of the table to get the range I wanted.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hello Keen, I'm not quite sure what you meant about optimising the switch / soft limits but I suspect that Mikes response may have covered your question. Do you still have any questions?
    Step

Thanks Step. Yeah I think Mike has covered it. I have a couple of unclear details that will probably come clear when I get back and start dodling. Keen