585,665 active members*
3,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tormach News

Page 1 of 18 12311

Tormach News

Tormach claims that a "big announcements" are coming over the next few months and that the first is next week. Any ideas what?

Re: Tormach News

Well, since I just bought my Series III last month....Series IV, 15k RPM spindle, half the price.

Maybe a PCNC22000, 20hp and 15000 rpm? But I want pcnc1100 Horizontal mill with a vertical tombstone that will hold a 5 inch vise on each side.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

"big announcement" sounds like a new machine, not just an incremental upgrade. I doubt that "pneumatic chuck" counts as a BIG announcement.

cnc plasma, anyone? I don't think that Tormach would have much difficulty moving into that field, and could probably dominate it at an affordable price point. I would buy one...

3D Printer? I think the technology is still too much on the hobbyist cutting edge, and machine reliability would probably be something that Tormach wouldn't be ready to attack.

Series 4? Servo upgrade? Some how I doubt that. I think Tormach has the PCNC1100 niche carved out.

PCNC Linuxcnc Software? I expect Tormach will someday release a custom updated PCNC linuxcnc version, based upon their recent experience with their lathe linuxcnc release. That would enable them to upgrade their controller to a modern fast machine and eliminate some of the glitches associated with mach 3. That would also allow them to decouple from mach 4, which is probably going to cause them all sorts of nightmares in the future, with new users wanting the "latest and greatest", not recognizing the amount of care and feeding required for the new release to be functional and bug free. But I suspect linuxcnc is probably a year of more out, plus I don't think that would be a "BIG" announcement.

Horizontal mill? Now that would be cool.... but that isn't really a hobbyist machine... more production oriented, and I wouldn't think Tormach would try to muscle into that market.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Maybe a Series IV with Linear guides and servos instead of steppers?
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Holy smokes. I'm planning to buy a 1100 in the next month or so. Now I gotta wait to find out what this new news is all about.

yep it will more than likely be one of those wish I waited thing`s
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Did you hear about this directly from Tormach Kstrauss?

They will be at the Cabin Fever Show? That is expected rather than being news, but they may reveal a new machine at the show would be big news. Perhaps a new stand and full enclosure package. That is so so on the big news scale.
    Servo's would be big news.

I don't think plasma cutters or large format routers would be such a nice place for Tormach. Right now Tormach enjoys light competition in the small mill and lathe area. Large and small format routers and plasma cutters have a large amount of competition.

Now a hobby sized laser cutter that can cut up to 1/8" stainless steel would be another niche spot depending on the cost. Same for a smaller format water jet. Either of those would be very big news.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LazyMan View Post
    Did you hear about this directly from Tormach Kstrauss?
    It came in yesterday's newsletter email.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Maybe a Series IV with Linear guides and servos instead of steppers?
    Linear guides sounds nice!
    This would be a sealed system and not require way lube correct?
    If so that would reduce that mess and improve coolant system maintenance.

My guess would be some sort of large format sheet material tool like a router, plasma ..........

A new mill controller leveraging the effort put into the lathe controller would be logical, but as others have said not big news imho.

For me I would enjoy a fix to sprutycam post so I don't get annoying error dialog box. little things make me happy
    md

Cant post my guess on facebook as they request. I am one of like 20 people on earth with no account

They are going to be launching their own proprietary control software and will be transitioning away from mach.
    The new siftware will be comparable with all series and has been in beta for a while
    Hurray
    I have been getting to know mach,s bugs too well as of late.
    Best
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Linear guides sounds nice!
    This would be a sealed system and not require way lube correct?
    If so that would reduce that mess and improve coolant system maintenance.

My guess would be some sort of large format sheet material tool like a router, plasma ..........

A new mill controller leveraging the effort put into the lathe controller would be logical, but as others have said not big news imho.

For me I would enjoy a fix to sprutycam post so I don't get annoying error dialog box. little things make me happy
    md

Cant post my guess on facebook as they request. I am one of like 20 people on earth with no account

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    They are going to be launching their own proprietary control software and will be transitioning away from mach.
    The new siftware will be comparable with all series and has been in beta for a while
    Hurray
    Best
    Nathan
    Now this is a stroke of good news!!!! I am curious as to the price of it and when it will be available.
    mike sr

Looking at the lathe, it appears to use a customized version of Linuxcnc. Could be wrong though.

Hummm, this could be interesting. Maybe there has been a reason I've been delayed in getting the ball rolling on my setup of the machine I bought in December (she's been all alone in the garage weeping and crying because know one's showing her any love). And here I thought it was because I was so busy with prep-work for Shot Show!

Ok, I don't want to sound tooooo computer stupid but if they launch a new version and I have their Series 3 computer controller, you think I'll be able to send that box in and have it scrubbed and re-installed (for a fee I know)? I'm not sure how Lunixcnc works.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Hurray
    Best
    Nathan
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Well I perhaps I can make your day! The SprutCam 9 post is available for download from the Tormach home page.
    I say "perhaps" because I'm not sure whether the "PCNC Post only" version can read the .sppx version.

The only differences between the 9'er and the 8.2'er versions are the '-1' correction (see my post in the sprutcam forum), a different text message for the dialog requesting whether to flip the 4th axis and the removal of a LinearApproximation attribute and value (<--your guess is as good as mine).
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Now this is a stroke of good news!!!! I am curious as to the price of it and when it will be available.
    This whole thread is merely idle speculation, because the only thing Tormach has announced is that they will make an announcement... about something....

Quote Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
    Looking at the lathe, it appears to use a customized version of Linuxcnc. Could be wrong though.
    You would be correct. One of the early lathe insider emails talked about the linuxcnc software development.

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Ok, I don't want to sound tooooo computer stupid but if they launch a new version and I have their Series 3 computer controller, you think I'll be able to send that box in and have it scrubbed and re-installed (for a fee I know)? I'm not sure how Lunixcnc works.
    If they do offer new software, I am sure they will release it on a DVD that can be used to self-install on your controller.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

My post about the new tormach control software is not speculation. I was told about it in Wednesday directly.
    Best
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    This whole thread is merely idle speculation, because the only thing Tormach has announced is that they will make an announcement... about something....

You would be correct. One of the early lathe insider emails talked about the linuxcnc software development.

If they do offer new software, I am sure they will release it on a DVD that can be used to self-install on your controller.

If they offer new software (DVD) wouldn't I have to update the controller (CPU) to Lunix vs the Windows OS?
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

I wonder if tormach will come out with a rigid tapping kit then... (linuxcnc would just require an encoder connected to the spindle) (assuming a bunch...)

sam

Page 1 of 18 12311