585,997 active members*
5,187 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach scanner

G'day guys,

I thinking of buying the scanner package, but I noticed it comes with Windows software .... not so good on PP.

Just wondering if anyone has managed to get theirs working properly.

Michael

Re: Tormach scanner

I asked Tormach about this as I am wanting for a scanner, but have moved to PathPilot.

They suggested waiting until they get this figured out for PP. Not sure if there are other solutions available, but I could use one. For now I am going to try to scan objects on a scanner, create paths in Aspire then try to precisely scale those to some known dimension on the object.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
    I asked Tormach about this as I am wanting for a scanner, but have moved to PathPilot.

They suggested waiting until they get this figured out for PP. Not sure if there are other solutions available, but I could use one. For now I am going to try to scan objects on a scanner, create paths in Aspire then try to precisely scale those to some known dimension on the object.
    I have had success in the past with this. For example, recently I restored an old 14" bandsaw and had to create a new gasket for the gearbox. I took a few good pictures of the gearbox and imported one to my CAD software, overlayed it with a line of a known dimension (measured from the gearbox itself) and scaled the image to fit. At that point, I could easily trace the outline, print, and use it as a template to cut my gasket. Just remember to try and take your picture at an orthogonal or normal to the part, try not to shoot the picture at an angle or you will skew the image.

I realize this is not nearly as precise as the scanner, but it got me through and hopefully will help someone else out there.

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    I have had success in the past with this. For example, recently I restored an old 14" bandsaw and had to create a new gasket for the gearbox. I took a few good pictures of the gearbox and imported one to my CAD software, overlayed it with a line of a known dimension (measured from the gearbox itself) and scaled the image to fit. At that point, I could easily trace the outline, print, and use it as a template to cut my gasket. Just remember to try and take your picture at an orthogonal or normal to the part, try not to shoot the picture at an angle or you will skew the image.

I realize this is not nearly as precise as the scanner, but it got me through and hopefully will help someone else out there.
    Glad to hear it can work.

I will be using a flat bed photo scanner. As long as the plane I want to scan is at the glass, it should be accurate enough to go.