585,729 active members*
4,429 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Cool YOSHIDA YMC-60V Vertical Machining Centre Retrofit

Hello Zoners,
    I'm back posting again and I've been VERY excited about my next project. Some time ago an extremely generous friend of mine GAVE me an old Vertical Machining Centre. The machine is not in running condition but I have recently been able to spend some time pulling the machine apart and I am pleased to say it is in good condition for a machine of it's age.

This thread will follow the strip down, clean up, paint, refurbish and retrofit of this old YOSHIDA YMC-60V Vertical Machining Centre.

Here are some pictures of where the machine was stored.
    Attachment 255396
    Attachment 255398

The machine has a custom full chip enclosure complete with chip auger. I set aside some time to start stripping everything off it that may be damaged while moving it to my place.
    I laid out a floor plan in my machine shop to allow the machine to fit in with my other machines and went about figuring out how to get such a large machine into the shed through a door much smaller than the machine. First was to remove the chip enclosure. There's no power where the machine is stored so a few seized bolts were quickly sliced with a cut off disc on a portable generator and the chip enclosure was gone.

Attachment 255404

After this I removed all the old FANUC electronics and cables from both boxes on the sides of the column, Then I removed the boxes.

Attachment 255408Attachment 255410Attachment 255412

I will post more pictures of my progress tomorrow.

If anyone is interested, some of my other machines are here at CNCZone:
    Hafco Metal Master HM-52 Knee mill CNC Conversion http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...onversion.html
    And my FEMCO Durga 25-E CNC lathe. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...urga-25-e.html

Much More to come,
    Hope you enjoy,
    Chich

Time to split the beast.

More progress,
    The total height of this machine assembled is 2600mm tall. The door I need to pass it through is 2000mm tall. I could either take the front of my shed off, roll the machine on it's side OR split the machine at the column to base joint and move it in 2 pieces. One of the owners of the property the machine was stored at owns a forklift and a dump truck with a Hiab truck mounted crane on it. He VERY kindly lent me this equipment to load, transport and unload the Mill to my place which is less than a kilometre away. Excellent!! Because of this I didn't have to waste time and money hiring a crane from 3 towns away to do the move! I cant stress enough how much I appreciate their kind offer to use their machinery for the day NOR the time taken by the previous owner of the Mill to help me split it.

Firstly, I made a smaller puller to remove the taper pins locating the tool changer assembly. This was basically a tube that's bigger than the taper pin diameter and a bolt that pulls the taper pin into the tube. Then it was time to remove all the bolts and lower the tool changer assembly to the ground with the forklift.
    Attachment 255532

I went around the column bolts and cracked them loose with a flogging spanner which weren't really that tight.
    Attachment 255524

Then the owner of the Mill helped me split the mill in 2 pieces with the use of the forklift. We placed a piece of 2" bar to lift from through the lifting hole at the top of the column and raised the column off the base with the forklift. To prevent any uncontrolled movements we tied the column back to the forklift using 2ton tie down straps back to the forklift mast and some wood to hold the column straight.
    Attachment 255526Attachment 255528

We rested the column down on a flat surface and surprisingly enough, it stayed upright!!!!! Just to make sure I placed a prop under the front and placed a tarp over it for the night. You cant see it but inside the column is a huge counterweight that offsets the weight of the Z axis head.
    Attachment 255530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1110910 (Custom).JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	255536

That was it for the day as we didn't start till mid afternoon and had to leave early as well.

Chich

Re: YOSHIDA YMC-60V Vertical Machining Centre Retrofit

I am in to see how it goes...if I only lived closer I could really keep an eye on progress

Russell.

Haa haa! Good one Russ!
    Ill post some more tonight.

Chich

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Next step was to lay the column over on it's back for transport. I did this using a HIAB truck mounted crane and some help from my brother-in-law.
    We placed timber under the column to make it easier to get onto the truck with the forklift.
    The base was first to go on the truck followed by the column. Then a short trek down the road and we were home.

Attachment 257020 Attachment 257022 Attachment 257024

Once I got the Truck home I walked back to the forklift and drove that slowly to my place. I removed the column from the truck and poked one end if the column into my shed. Using 20T load skates, I moved the column into my machine shop.

Attachment 257026 Attachment 257028

I made sure I packed the column up high enough on the load skates so there was enough height to get my hydraulic jacks under it to lift it off the skates and lower it onto timber.

Attachment 257030

Next came the Base. It travelled at the back of the truck. I used the forklift to remove the tail gate and took the Mill base out of the truck.

Attachment 257032

I poked the base into my shed and placed it onto the load skates.

Attachment 257034

I then pushed the base into the shed and jacked it up to remove the load skates.

Attachment 257036 Attachment 257038

That's where I am up to so far but plenty more to come!

Chich

Shop Gantry Crane

The 2 halves of this machine are heavy at around 1.5Ton each. I have returned all the equipment I used to get it into my shed so now I need a way of moving it on my own and be self sufficient. Some time ago I decided I'd make my own mobile gantry crane capable of lifting each piece so I can disassemble the machine at my leisure. The gantry will need to be Tall enough to put the column back on the base BUT also be low enough to be able to get it in my shed!!! I decided to make an "A" frame gantry on wheels but also make it telescopic so that I can do course height adjustments so it fit's anywhere inside the roof space of my shed. If in the future I need to work on one of my other machines, or move a lathe I can do it on my own easily. SO.......

Firstly I measured the maximum span the gantry needs to pass. In this case its the outsides of the YOSHIDA chip enclosure at 2800mm, plus 100mm of clearance each side. This made the inside span 3000mm. I drew up a plan and took it to the structural engineer where I work and asked him to calculate the beam size I need for 2 ton over 3000mm. He also calculated the size of the material for all the other parts of the gantry.

Here is my 3D plan of the gantry.

Attachment 258526

From my plan, I ordered the steel and had it cut to length except for the legs. A quick trip to TONKIN Steel and I was back home unloading.

Attachment 258528 Attachment 258530

After that I was straight into it. I fabricated the 2 box sections that the uprights telescope into.

Attachment 258532 Attachment 258534

More to come!!!!!

Chich

Shop Gantry Crane Continued

The legs of the "A" frames are 125mm X 75mm Rectangular Hollow Section (RHS) with a 5mm wall thickness. I had them cut so I could get 2 legs out of each length to reduce waste as off cuts. The angle was 23.5 Deg which I cut with a 1mm cutting disk in an angle grinder. I then packed them up on my steel bench and tacked them to the telescopic box.

Attachment 258658 Attachment 258660

After some time and welding I finished the 2 "A" Frames

Attachment 258662

I suspended both A frames from the roof in the shed with rope and painted them both with RUSTMASTER which is a metal treatment product that prevents rust.

Attachment 258664

I machined up 2 pin's to take the load which are 37mm Dia.

Attachment 258666 Attachment 258668

Chich

Making tools to make tools to make tools to make something

Cool thread. Thanks for sharing it.
    Regards,
    Mark

Yes Mark, that sure is the way its going...
    I've done more on the gantry. Next was the uprights which I drilled with a Holemaker 50 magnetic based drill. The holes are not equally spaced because each hole is in a position that is relevant to where the crane will fit in my shed. For instance, the top hole is the fully collapsed position which fits under the roller door. The next hole is when the crane fits up close to wall height in the shed, and so on.........

Attachment 259032

I tacked all the clamping plates together and match drilled them.

Attachment 259034

Then I buffed and ground everything up clean and wiped it all down with Turpentine. I metal prepped all the parts with RUSTMASTER and let it dry overnight ready to be painted.

Attachment 259036 Attachment 259038

Chich

Onto the Painting. It took me a whole day to paint with Enamel single part epoxy. I must say the mucking around with Enamel is a pain compared with the ease of using 2 Pack products. Any way I got it painted and let it sit for 2 days.

Attachment 259044 Attachment 259046

Chich

Gantry Assembly Time!!!

Today was the last day of Gantry build. First thing this morning, I placed all the parts in the sun to help bake the paint a bit.

Attachment 259048 Attachment 259050

This afternoon, my wife and I put my creation together. I am happy how it turned out. We tied the A frames to the fence posts and slid the telescoping uprights into the A frames. The pin was then put through the hole to set the height. After that we placed the beam on top of the A frames and tightened it down with the clamp plates.

Attachment 259052 Attachment 259054

Tomorrow I will put the wheels on and the beam trolley.

Chich

So here is the finished Gantry. I put the castors on and lowered the gantry onto them.

Attachment 259630

This next photo shows how the telescopic part of the A frame works. A come-along or lever block is placed in the lug on the side and the hook goes under the upright. Once weight is taken on the lever block, the load pin is removed and the upright can be raised or lowered to its new position. After the load pin is inserted in it's new position, the gantry can then be used as normal.

Attachment 259632

So as I mentioned, here is the finished gantry, in my shed. It's currently set at one if it's lower heights which in this case is my shed wall height. I parked the gantry over the top of my Femco Durga 25-E CNC Lathe. You will see that I have fitted the RED 2 ton beam trolley that the hoist will attach to.

Attachment 259634 Attachment 259636

Hope you enjoy,
    Chich

I hope that Toshiba box is a nice big shed telly for the cricket season....

Haa haa. Yea so do I. Its an airconditioner for my lounge. Had a serious decision to make....... Install an airconditoner for my wife OR Build a workshop gantry for my CNC............... Well I guess you can see who won.

I'm not sure how you got away with that, but well done man!
    Gantry looks great, cant wait to see the workshop finished and making stuff. Is it going to be an income, or are you just a serious tinkerer?

Just a serious tinkerer. All my mates have reef fishing boats, I have a CNC shop instead. :thumbup:

Hi Chich2
    I have recently purchased two of these machines, Yoshida YMC 60V.
    Working through some diagnostic issues at the moment, would like to know how your going with your project.
    Regards Tony & Bill

Tony & Bill,
    Wow! 2 of them!!!!!!! Its nice to know that there are still some more of them around. Sounds like they are complete from what your saying. What controll is fitted to yours? Im starting from scratch. Ill be running LinuxCNC as a control coupled with Classic Ladder thats in LinuxCNC for everything else. Ive started collecting bits and pieces like switches, din rail terminal blocks, relays and basically everything else I can think of. Servo drives will be locally made by a friend with a huge 3 phase transformer powering them. I will probably purchase an off the shelf VF drive for the spindle. Soon, ill start stripping the machine further and starting the overhaul.

What is the condition of your machines? Will you be starting a thread here on cnczone for the machines. It would be good if you did. There are many people here that have great knowledge to share on pretty much any issue you may have with a machine and control. I also cannot see any youtube video's for these machines running. I hope to post many. Haa haa.

Great to hear from you and thank you for your post.

Chich

Quote Originally Posted by chich2 View Post
    Tony & Bill,
    Wow! 2 of them!!!!!!! Its nice to know that there are still some more of them around. Sounds like they are complete from what your saying. What controll is fitted to yours? Im starting from scratch. Ill be running LinuxCNC as a control coupled with Classic Ladder thats in LinuxCNC for everything else. Ive started collecting bits and pieces like switches, din rail terminal blocks, relays and basically everything else I can think of. Servo drives will be locally made by a friend with a huge 3 phase transformer powering them. I will probably purchase an off the shelf VF drive for the spindle. Soon, ill start stripping the machine further and starting the overhaul.

What is the condition of your machines? Will you be starting a thread here on cnczone for the machines. It would be good if you did. There are many people here that have great knowledge to share on pretty much any issue you may have with a machine and control. I also cannot see any youtube video's for these machines running. I hope to post many. Haa haa.

Great to hear from you and thank you for your post.

Chich
    Hello Chich,
    The control on both is a Fanuc 3M. Both machines have a Not Ready issue on Start Up. I have a listing of the Ladder, but no Verbose description of the Ladder I/O symbol abbreviations. This document is normally supplied in the Electrical Manual, which I don't have. Some of the symbol abbreviations are logical but many are not. Would you happen to have a copy if your original control was a Fanuc Series 3M?

Regards,

Bill

Bill,
    Im sorry to say that I do not have any literature from the old control. I do have some old hardware though. There is a moderator here on cnczone called "Al The Man" he knows ton's about Fanuc Controls. You could PM him as he probably has manuals he may email to you.
    Where are you based? Country? State?

Page 1 of 2 12