554,066 active members*
4,056 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    Registered

Question 20CrMnTi welding shaft build up

Hi guys !

I need to build up a splined shaft from 52mm(top of spline is 60mm) up to 70mm O.D over a length of about 110mm then, anneal it, bore it 50mm I.D, turn it, carburize it, heat treat it and grind it for a bearing fit... 20CrMnTi Material is close to SAE3115 or 20MnCr5.

I have an AC stick welder and my welding buddy is a TIG welder by trade..

What welding/filler rod should I use for this job ?

Thanks very much !

Registered

Re: 20CrMnTi welding shaft build up

Up !!!

I tried to repair a cast aluminum mailbox with these welding rods and failed miserably.A couple of months ago, I bought a Forney Easy Weld 140 FCI for various household chores. I can say that this device is very cool, it's quite powerful and convenient. You don't want to try instead of the TIG welder, MIG? On this site prowelderguide.com you can see the best MIG welder up to 500 dollars. They are all good in usage, some suitable for beginners and others for more experienced professionals.I'm sure you'll find something suitable.

Arc welding is easy...or atleast i think so...i picked arc up a lot quicker than i did Mig, and i taught myself initially with no knowledge of welding at all...

i did an EAL course and found i could already meet their standards so was pointless really.

It all depends on your hand eye co-ordination really as you have to move the rod at the right speed and also feed it in, so not only are you moving across but the rod is always getting shorter so you have to move in to the work too...

doesnt take long to get it though.

.i only bought a mig as i see a need in the future to weld cars again...because i have an old ish ford...

MMA (Arc) welding really isnt suited to anything thinner than 2mm really...and even 2mm might be a struggle with a buzz box...

I have welded 2mm fine with my stick welder however it is a very well made inverter and i can run it DCEN or DCEP...DCEN is prefered for thinner stuff and i can light a 2.5mm rod up at 45 amps and keep it going...i would struggle to do this with a cheap buzz box...my father has a years old AC stick welder and i struggle to light that up at 70 amps with the same rod.

When selecting a torch, you must understand the welding applications for which you intend to use it. What type and thickness of metal you will be working with more often, as well as the current load characteristics of the semiautomatic welding machine with which you plan to use the torch. Look also for reviews on weldzone. Semi-automatic welding torches come in two types: water-cooled and air-cooled. Water-cooled torches are purchased if they will be used for large, heavy-duty jobs. Air-cooled torches are suitable for all welding applications.

My COMPANY PROVIDE 3d welding table https://www.bcweldingtables.com/,YOU CAN CHOOSE HERE