547,633 active members*
2,743 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC Wood Router Project Log > 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build
Page 1 of 2 12
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1

    4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    Heres my build log in pictures.

  2. #2

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    Continued

  3. #3

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    Still going

  4. #4

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    and going
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-06-06 16.19.45.jpg  

  5. #5

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    and going ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-06-08 16.57.44.jpg  

  6. #6

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    and going ... ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-07-27 16.31.47.jpg   2018-07-27 16.31.58.jpg  

  7. #7

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-08-23 13.19.11.jpg   2018-08-23 13.19.19.jpg   2018-09-04 16.17.24.jpg  

  8. #8

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    .......

  9. #9

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    These pictures span about 3.5 years of time

  10. #10

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    starting electronics here

  11. #11

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    I had never welded before this project (as probably can be seen in some pics), nor had I done any sort of electronics/wiring of any kind. What I have learned since deciding to give this a shot is worth well more than the money Ive spent.

  12. #12

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    My first hobart welds with shielding gas vs miller multimatic 220 and 3 more years of experience LOL

  13. #13

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    liquid cooling and more electronics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021-08-06 16.50.20.jpg   2021-08-06 16.51.04.jpg  

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3304

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    Hi Rogers - Well done, have you made sawdust yet? Peter

  15. #15

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Rogers - Well done, have you made sawdust yet? Peter
    Not yet! But I hope really soon. Here is some background on what I am doing and where I am at:


    Welded steel base
    8020 X & Y Axis
    Joes CNC Z axis
    Joes CNC X & Y plates
    Nema 34 Clearpath SDSK enhanced servos (6400 steps/rev)
    CNC RP rack and pinion drives
    Pepperl & fuchs limit sensors
    UC300Eth-UB1
    Huanyang 2.2 kw spindle & VFD
    Thermaltake liquid cooling pump/reservoir
    UC CNC
    Solidworks
    Solidworks CAM

    The only software above I have experience with is Solidworks and have been using it for about a decade. I have yet to attempt Solidworks CAM, but should have a license for that included with my Solidworks license. UC CNC is my first control software to try to use. It seems like I will be using the default screenset until Gerry finishes his most up to date screenset.

    I see a lot of people using EMI filters for their VFD/spindle, but I do not have one. Not sure if this will give me problems down the road.

    The most important issue for me to solve right now involves Clearpath servos connecting to UB1 & UC CNC. I have the servos tuned using the Teknic MSP software and it went really well. Right now I have HLFB wired in series between all 4 servos, -HLFB on one end of the series going to 0V, +HLFB on the other side of the series to x109 (my next available input on UB1). I do not know how to get UC CNC to recognize this HLFB input. At first I thought it was the current hi/lo in axis setup options, but anytime I apply settings with those ports and pins entered, it resets to 0-0. I also am not sure how others using clearpaths use limit sensors and the integrated hard stops in the clearpaths. I am assuming I should be using the limit sensors as homes and the hard stops for the clearpaths as the limits?


    Next projects to tackle:
    Installing spoilboard and T slots for clamping
    cutting liquid cooling lines to proper length and making it all look nicer and cleaner
    Programming VFD
    Running wires from control box for touch off plate/zeroing plates
    Installing Kent's dust shoe
    Setting up Xbox controller with basic functions to jog machine

    Here is what I have found so far in my research on programming this Huanyang VFD for my 2.2 kw spindle:

    Description Options My choice
    PD000 Parameter lock 0 = Invalid, 1= Valid
    PD001 Source of Run Commands 0 Operator, 1 external terminal, 2 comm port 1
    PD002 Source of Operating Frequency 0 Operator, 1 external terminal, 2 comm port 1
    PD003 Main frequency set to spindle specs 0-400 Hz 400
    PD004 Base Frequency set to spindle specs .01-400 Hz 400
    PD005 Max operating frequency set to spindle specs 50-400 Hz 400
    PD007 Min frequency set to spindle specs 20
    PD008 Max voltage 220V 220
    PD009 intermediate voltage 15
    PD010 Min voltage 8
    PD011 Frequency lower limit 120
    PD013 PARAMETER RESET SET TO 8 TO RESET ALL
    PD014 acceleration time seconds 12
    PD015 deceleration time seconds 12
    PD044 FORward set to 1 to turn the spinlde on to forward from external source
    PD072 higher analog frequency set to spindle specs 400
    PD073 lower analog frequency set to spindle specs 120
    PD141 Motor rated voltage 220V 220
    PD142 rated motor amps set to spindle specs 8.5
    PD143 Motor pole number set to spindle specs 2
    PD144 rated motor revolution set to spindle specs 60 hz to 24000 rpm? 3000

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12862

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    Quote Originally Posted by arogers1987 View Post
    Not yet! But I hope really soon. Here is some background on what I am doing and where I am at:


    Welded steel base
    8020 X & Y Axis
    Joes CNC Z axis
    Joes CNC X & Y plates
    Nema 34 Clearpath SDSK enhanced servos (6400 steps/rev)
    CNC RP rack and pinion drives
    Pepperl & fuchs limit sensors
    UC300Eth-UB1
    Huanyang 2.2 kw spindle & VFD
    Thermaltake liquid cooling pump/reservoir
    UC CNC
    Solidworks
    Solidworks CAM

    The only software above I have experience with is Solidworks and have been using it for about a decade. I have yet to attempt Solidworks CAM, but should have a license for that included with my Solidworks license. UC CNC is my first control software to try to use. It seems like I will be using the default screenset until Gerry finishes his most up to date screenset.

    I see a lot of people using EMI filters for their VFD/spindle, but I do not have one. Not sure if this will give me problems down the road.

    The most important issue for me to solve right now involves Clearpath servos connecting to UB1 & UC CNC. I have the servos tuned using the Teknic MSP software and it went really well. Right now I have HLFB wired in series between all 4 servos, -HLFB on one end of the series going to 0V, +HLFB on the other side of the series to x109 (my next available input on UB1). I do not know how to get UC CNC to recognize this HLFB input. At first I thought it was the current hi/lo in axis setup options, but anytime I apply settings with those ports and pins entered, it resets to 0-0. I also am not sure how others using clearpaths use limit sensors and the integrated hard stops in the clearpaths. I am assuming I should be using the limit sensors as homes and the hard stops for the clearpaths as the limits?


    Next projects to tackle:
    Installing spoilboard and T slots for clamping
    cutting liquid cooling lines to proper length and making it all look nicer and cleaner
    Programming VFD
    Running wires from control box for touch off plate/zeroing plates
    Installing Kent's dust shoe
    Setting up Xbox controller with basic functions to jog machine

    Here is what I have found so far in my research on programming this Huanyang VFD for my 2.2 kw spindle:

    Description Options My choice
    PD000 Parameter lock 0 = Invalid, 1= Valid
    PD001 Source of Run Commands 0 Operator, 1 external terminal, 2 comm port 1
    PD002 Source of Operating Frequency 0 Operator, 1 external terminal, 2 comm port 1
    PD003 Main frequency set to spindle specs 0-400 Hz 400
    PD004 Base Frequency set to spindle specs .01-400 Hz 400
    PD005 Max operating frequency set to spindle specs 50-400 Hz 400
    PD007 Min frequency set to spindle specs 20
    PD008 Max voltage 220V 220
    PD009 intermediate voltage 15
    PD010 Min voltage 8
    PD011 Frequency lower limit 120
    PD013 PARAMETER RESET SET TO 8 TO RESET ALL
    PD014 acceleration time seconds 12
    PD015 deceleration time seconds 12
    PD044 FORward set to 1 to turn the spinlde on to forward from external source
    PD072 higher analog frequency set to spindle specs 400
    PD073 lower analog frequency set to spindle specs 120
    PD141 Motor rated voltage 220V 220
    PD142 rated motor amps set to spindle specs 8.5
    PD143 Motor pole number set to spindle specs 2
    PD144 rated motor revolution set to spindle specs 60 hz to 24000 rpm? 3000
    This VFD Drive Parameter it is what I have been posting for years, this is the Basic required to get you running

    The EMI Filter I recommend should be used regardless of whether you have any problems or not, Not all EMI Power Filters are created equal

    Problems normally only happen from poor wiring practices, Grounding / Bonding component's correctly is a must, for a reliable system

    Shielded Cable Grounding is important how it is done for it to be successful

    Low voltage wires in there Twisted pairs
    Mactec54

  17. #17

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    This VFD Drive Parameter it is what I have been posting for years, this is the Basic required to get you running

    The EMI Filter I recommend should be used regardless of whether you have any problems or not, Not all EMI Power Filters are created equal

    Problems normally only happen from poor wiring practices, Grounding / Bonding component's correctly is a must, for a reliable system

    Shielded Cable Grounding is important how it is done for it to be successful

    Low voltage wires in there Twisted pairs
    Yes I do see this list in various places, thanks for posting then! I have double checked it with all of my parameters, so these values should work. Do you have any EMI filters youd recommend for my setup? (2.2 kw huanyang spindle/vfd)

    For anyone else viewing this thread, I am really stuck with the HLFB, clearpath, and inputting in UC CNC where I have connected HLFB for the clearpaths. I have scoured the web for this info and cant find anyone saying exactly how they accomplished this. Thank you everyone for help and suggestions!!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12862

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    Quote Originally Posted by arogers1987 View Post
    Yes I do see this list in various places, thanks for posting then! I have double checked it with all of my parameters, so these values should work. Do you have any EMI filters youd recommend for my setup? (2.2 kw huanyang spindle/vfd)

    For anyone else viewing this thread, I am really stuck with the HLFB, clearpath, and inputting in UC CNC where I have connected HLFB for the clearpaths. I have scoured the web for this info and cant find anyone saying exactly how they accomplished this. Thank you everyone for help and suggestions!!
    My Parameter lists have been copied hundreds of times they can also be found on some resellers web sites also

    The Filter is a TDK Lambda RSEN-2030L this needs to be mounted as close to the VFD Drives input Power connection as possible Twist all Power wires where possible

    As for Clearpath wiring you best is to contact them for your connection wiring or your Breakout Board manufacture or both

    HLFB is ClearPath's configurable High Level Feedback output. The output is optional, meaning you can run the motor without wiring it to anything
    Mactec54

  19. #19

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    My Parameter lists have been copied hundreds of times they can also be found on some resellers web sites also

    The Filter is a TDK Lambda RSEN-2030L this needs to be mounted as close to the VFD Drives input Power connection as possible Twist all Power wires where possible

    As for Clearpath wiring you best is to contact them for your connection wiring or your Breakout Board manufacture or both

    HLFB is ClearPath's configurable High Level Feedback output. The output is optional, meaning you can run the motor without wiring it to anything
    Yes, I have reached out to CNC Drive forums (they produce the UC CNC software), Joes CNC forums (where my initial build log is), emailed two different people with the company that makes the UC300eth-ub1, and also the reason I started the thread here because I believe this forum has more traffic and a better chance to run into someone with the same setup! No responses anywhere yet, but I will keep trying to find the solution myself until someone with more experience than me using clearpaths chimes in lol

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    30

    Re: 4x8, steel frame, 2.2 kw spindle, clearpath, UC-300Eth build

    Hi arogers1987,

    I’m an applications engineer at Teknic and I came across your post yesterday. First of all, I’m sorry to hear about the difficulty resolving this issue. While I’ve never used a UC300Eth before, I, or one of my colleagues, may be able to help you wire the ClearPath HLFB output to it. We’re happy to help sort out ClearPath wiring issues, but we probably can’t offer much when it comes to using the UC CNC software (you can view example wiring schematics on page 49 of the ClearPath manual located here: https://www.teknic.com/files/downloa...ser_manual.pdf). In reading this forum though, there appears to be a number of friendly, knowledgeable people here that can help with the controller and software configuration.

    I also wanted to mention that mactec54’s description of the HLFB output and his assertion that you can operate your ClearPath motors without wiring to the HLFB are both technically correct. That said, running without monitoring the HLFB output (i.e. not using it as an “alarm” input to your board) can lead to other problems. For example, I’ve seen cases–in an “HLFB unmonitored” machine–where one motor experienced a safety-related shutdown, and all the other motors continued the job because the system had no way of knowing about the one that shut down. This situation lead to a crash, resulting in a broken machine tool, a damaged work piece, and damaged mechanics (which were expensive and time consuming to fix).

    Ideally, your ClearPath motors would be wired such that if one motor experienced a shutdown, the controller would receive an alert and immediately turn off the enable signal to all of the motors, and/or remove motor power, depending on your system’s features and capabilities. By wiring all of your HLFB outputs in series, as you described earlier in this thread, it sounds like that’s your strategy. I’d encourage you to stick with it if at all possible.

    Please feel free to reach out to Teknic by calling 585-784-7454, or send us a contact request if we can help: https://www.teknic.com/contact/.

    Good luck with your project!

    Jim W. - Teknic Servo Systems Engineer

Page 1 of 2 12

Similar Threads

  1. Welded steel frame router build
    By jones in forum DIY CNC Router Table Machines
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-12-2021, 02:10 AM
  2. 150x100cm Steel frame router build
    By Nikolaguca in forum CNC Wood Router Project Log
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 02-26-2021, 09:35 AM
  3. Steel Frame Router Build
    By trailerparkboys in forum CNC Wood Router Project Log
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2016, 01:53 PM
  4. new steel 4x8 build
    By slowdigits2 in forum CNC Wood Router Project Log
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2015, 01:27 PM
  5. New 4x8 Steel CNC router build
    By Ernie34 in forum DIY CNC Router Table Machines
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 01:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •