534,924 active members*
2,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    718

    8L Lathe is out

    Got an email today, the new 8L lathe is for sale now. Base p[rice $6500 with packages going to $10000.

    Terry

  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    665

    Re: 8L Lathe is out

    That one caught me by surprise. Looks nice, but suspiciously like some of the existing chinese stuff. Couldn't quite bring myself to spend on the bigger one for the limited needs I have, but this might be just the ticket if the details are good.

    There are NO pictures of the construction and details of this thing. Are there any out there? Looks like its NOT purpose designed like the bigger one, but just a mini-lathe in an enclosure?

    I don't see a collet closer or bar puller even as options - critical for actually making a bunch of little parts.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    117

    Re: 8L Lathe is out

    The price and size of this thing definitely have my mind going. Problem is getting past the idea of a rapid turn in my mill though. Most of the same capabilities, much less money, way less space to store it when not in use. If I were in the market for a proper lathe though, the 8l would definitely win over the 15.

  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    718

    Re: 8L Lathe is out

    I saw somewhere on the website that they have an automatic 5C collet closer "coming soon".

    I like a lot of thing about it, but the max work length seems awfully short, even for a mini lathe. I suppose most CNC lathe work isn't done on long shafts and such, but I wish they had pushed it out to 20" or so.

    Terry

  5. #5
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3065

    Re: 8L Lathe is out

    It has a 1-1/2 HP motor, which substantially more than the mini-lathes that I've seen.

  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    527

    Re: 8L Lathe is out

    Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    I saw somewhere on the website that they have an automatic 5C collet closer "coming soon".

    I like a lot of thing about it, but the max work length seems awfully short, even for a mini lathe. I suppose most CNC lathe work isn't done on long shafts and such, but I wish they had pushed it out to 20" or so.

    Terry
    It has about the same length the SL15 has, although I agree for a toolpost lathe that's aimed at hobby work, some more length would be nice.

    Adding a 5C air-closer is calling up Dunham and figuring out how to bolt it to the back of the spindle.. The air-closer code is already in PP for the SL15. Without a bar puller, all it does is speed up manual stock changes which might not be all that important to many customers..

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    117

    Re: 8L Lathe is out

    Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    It has about the same length the SL15 has, although I agree for a toolpost lathe that's aimed at hobby work, some more length would be nice.

    Adding a 5C air-closer is calling up Dunham and figuring out how to bolt it to the back of the spindle.. The air-closer code is already in PP for the SL15. Without a bar puller, all it does is speed up manual stock changes which might not be all that important to many customers..
    I'm no lathe guy, but I've seen a bar puller made from nothing more than a toolholder and a piece of appropriately shaped material. The arrangement requires that a small groove be cut in the stock after parting off the last piece. The "puller" then hooks into the groove and pulls the material to advance it. It's not terribly precise but following the pulling with a facing operation to clean off the groove gives you a precise 0 to start the next cycle.

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    527

    Re: 8L Lathe is out

    Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    I'm no lathe guy, but I've seen a bar puller made from nothing more than a toolholder and a piece of appropriately shaped material. The arrangement requires that a small groove be cut in the stock after parting off the last piece. The "puller" then hooks into the groove and pulls the material to advance it. It's not terribly precise but following the pulling with a facing operation to clean off the groove gives you a precise 0 to start the next cycle.
    Yeah, there's lots of ways to pull stock, but with the 8N, unless you make up a gang tool block, you'd have to remove the tool in the toolpost to install the puller, do the pull, remove the puller, install the tool for the first op into the toolpost and then start.

    Somebody will do that work no doubt, but a lot of the customers are just going to drive the first tool to Z-zero and pull the stock up to it manually or use one of the sliding-gauge things.

    I see most people using this mostly for one-offs and small batches where changing tools and resetting stock isn't a big deal.

  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1998

    Re: 8L Lathe is out

    Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post

    I see most people using this mostly for one-offs and small batches where changing tools and resetting stock isn't a big deal.
    The peddle operated collet would be like a pdb is on a mill. Make stock change fast anyway!

    If the part is small enough and small form factor tools and gang plate setup. I dont see why you cant squeeze it in. I could see doing a custom dedicated small gang plate riser to hold 3-4 small tools. it would need to work inside that 4.5" of travel. A small enough part and with experience. I bet you could get a full automated gang setup going. Even make a series of custom gang risers blocks that are optimized in shape and tools for the parts your doing. Switch collet, gang plate and program and away you go. Just some ideas to consider. In short you not going to get to many cxa tools in that work space

  10. #10
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    527

    Re: 8L Lathe is out

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    The peddle operated collet would be like a pdb is on a mill. Make stock change fast anyway!

    If the part is small enough and small form factor tools and gang plate setup. I dont see why you cant squeeze it in. I could see doing a custom dedicated small gang plate riser to hold 3-4 small tools. it would need to work inside that 4.5" of travel. A small enough part and with experience. I bet you could get a full automated gang setup going. Even make a series of custom gang risers blocks that are optimized in shape and tools for the parts your doing. Switch collet, gang plate and program and away you go. Just some ideas to consider. In short you not going to get to many cxa tools in that work space
    Yeah, it's doable, but I'm not sure how many Tormach customers are going to want to do it with this machine, which maybe why they haven't announced anything. A production shop is probably going to look at a SL15 or something more industrial like a GT27 or CL-1 and so on. That said, Taig makes a little 5C gang-tool lathe setup on their CNC mill base. Short parts only, but lots of X, so somebody seems into the idea.

    I think tool clearance to the spindle is going to be a concern on the 8L with gang tools and limited X travel. I already see it on my Yellinized SL15. If you work close to the spindle, you have to be careful not to crash the tools you aren't using into it (he had a 5C chuck as well to get more clearance for that sort of thing).

    If I got an 8L, I'd probably leave it with a toolpost and put a lever-closer on it like an old chucker. I don't do much production work, but do prototypes with curves, odd threads and angles all the time. YMMV..
    .

  11. #11
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    534

    Re: 8L Lathe is out

    Short parts only, but lots of X
    So, a disc brake rotor truer then? :-D

  12. #12
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1998

    Re: 8L Lathe is out

    Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Yeah, it's doable, but I'm not sure how many Tormach customers are going to want to do it with this machine, which maybe why they haven't announced anything. A production shop is probably going to look at a SL15 or something more industrial like a GT27 or CL-1 and so on. That said, Taig makes a little 5C gang-tool lathe setup on their CNC mill base. Short parts only, but lots of X, so somebody seems into the idea.

    I think tool clearance to the spindle is going to be a concern on the 8L with gang tools and limited X travel. I already see it on my Yellinized SL15. If you work close to the spindle, you have to be careful not to crash the tools you aren't using into it (he had a 5C chuck as well to get more clearance for that sort of thing).

    If I got an 8L, I'd probably leave it with a toolpost and put a lever-closer on it like an old chucker. I don't do much production work, but do prototypes with curves, odd threads and angles all the time. YMMV..
    .
    I agree! I dont do production.
    I ordered one because imho this is a perfect size system to get results from. The machine is 1" smaller footprint then the manual lathe i use now. Manual tool changes are part of my work flow anyway with mill and router so no big deal on lathe. I waited to long to buy a sbl15 and the cost just went above what I wanted to spend for a cnc lathe. Didnt want to make that mistake again. Just bite the bullet and do it and then use it! If I do see a need for production then I can sell and buy bigger system .
    But get it making parts and get good use out of this one first!
    As t-step would say it is a solution in need of a problem at this point.

Similar Threads

  1. Single Purpose Lathe Conversion-Gang Lathe Setup
    By Aaron Moss in forum CNC "do-it-yourself"
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-24-2019, 05:37 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2018, 04:14 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2017, 06:45 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 01:05 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 07:47 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •