525,666 active members*
2,433 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control
Page 1 of 2 12
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    24

    Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    Machine: 2008 Sharp SV2412
    Control: Fanuc Oi Mate MC


    My understanding is that the Oi MC control comes 4th axis ready whereas the Oi Mate MC control does not, but could still have a 4th added to it. Is this true? I'm finding lots of spare parts for these model years and was looking to add a 4th axis to my machine.

    Hardinge has a video on youtube that describes the upgrade process for their 4th on a different machine that uses the same PSU/Servo Combo unit in my machine. I was thinking about buying the parts shown in the kit and then building my own rotary using a compatible fanuc servo motor.



    Drive: A06B-6130-H002 (Approx $700 new from surplus, $350 used)
    Motor: A06B-0034-B077 ($1500 new, $400-700 used)
    Cables: Approx $100

    Am I going to have to pay Fanuc to enable 4th in the control or will it simply be a parameter change? Is my approach way off to even bother considering?

    Thanks,
    Max

  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    619

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    the implementation of the 4th axis is the responsabiility of the MTB of the machine.
    The MTB is creating the ladder and put the push buttons on the operator panel for it and also is activating the Fanuc option ofr 4th axis.(if you do not have it you have to pay to Fanuc to enable it,they can also mount it for you.)
    if you have the buttons and also the ladder prepared for 4th axis ,than is not a big deal to buy and mount the components for it.
    if you do not have it prepared by the MTB than is not an easy job to do it.
    good luck

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    Quote Originally Posted by zavateandu View Post
    the implementation of the 4th axis is the responsabiility of the MTB of the machine.
    The MTB is creating the ladder and put the push buttons on the operator panel for it and also is activating the Fanuc option ofr 4th axis.(if you do not have it you have to pay to Fanuc to enable it,they can also mount it for you.)
    if you have the buttons and also the ladder prepared for 4th axis ,than is not a big deal to buy and mount the components for it.
    if you do not have it prepared by the MTB than is not an easy job to do it.
    good luck
    I'll have to do some more investigating then. My manual jog pendant has a switch for 4th axis so I'm hoping that's a good sign! I'll report back here as I get more info.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    Well bad news, the combo PSU/Servo drive on my machine does not have the extra fiber optic port that the 4th axis drive would connect to. It looks like I might not be able to add a 4th very easily to this machine :-(

    Pictured below is my combo drive with the single fiber optic port circled in red (I need two of these):
    Attachment 445166

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    606

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    0i-Mates don't support the 4th axis option. That's a lower end control. You will have to upgrade to an non mate 0i. Set the number of axes to be controlled by using parameter No. 8130. It will only allow you to turn on the number of axis that the controller will support.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    Quote Originally Posted by drdos View Post
    0i-Mates don't support the 4th axis option. That's a lower end control. You will have to upgrade to an non mate 0i. Set the number of axes to be controlled by using parameter No. 8130. It will only allow you to turn on the number of axis that the controller will support.
    That's what I'm inclined to think too, but I've seen a few people online with a 4th using this control. I'd love to just get the non-mate control since it would just be a grand or two, but obviously getting it hooked up and configured would probably be a nightmare.

    I'm waiting to hear back more info from Sharp on the matter so maybe after the holiday weekend I'll get more answers. I know at the very least this control can index in 4th with m codes

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWeber View Post
    That's what I'm inclined to think too, but I've seen a few people online with a 4th using this control. I'd love to just get the non-mate control since it would just be a grand or two, but obviously getting it hooked up and configured would probably be a nightmare.

    I'm waiting to hear back more info from Sharp on the matter so maybe after the holiday weekend I'll get more answers. I know at the very least this control can index in 4th with m codes
    If you cannot get full 4th axis. Other options are use a Beta I/O link drive to control a rotary table. Or tsudacoma external axis controller.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    Quote Originally Posted by bill4807 View Post
    If you cannot get full 4th axis. Other options are use a Beta I/O link drive to control a rotary table. Or tsudacoma external axis controller.
    That's precisely what I wanted to try and do, but the optic cable from the beta I/O link would have to plug into a spare optic port on my main servo/PSU drive which only has one optic port (being used by the 3 axes)

    Would be nice if I could swap out the logic board for one that has it, but I'm sure there's no way that would work either.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWeber View Post
    That's precisely what I wanted to try and do, but the optic cable from the beta I/O link would have to plug into a spare optic port on my main servo/PSU drive which only has one optic port (being used by the 3 axes)

    Would be nice if I could swap out the logic board for one that has it, but I'm sure there's no way that would work either.
    An i/o link drive does not use FSSB/fiber optic.
    It communicates using I/O link. So it would be hooked to your fanuc I/O string.
    Of course custom logic would need to be written.
    The easier way would be to use a tsudacoma package, and control it through m-codes for indexing or RS232 for table execution.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    Quote Originally Posted by bill4807 View Post
    An i/o link drive does not use FSSB/fiber optic.
    It communicates using I/O link. So it would be hooked to your fanuc I/O string.
    Of course custom logic would need to be written.
    The easier way would be to use a tsudacoma package, and control it through m-codes for indexing or RS232 for table execution.
    Interesting. Shows how little I know about this. I would definitely be interested in adding an I/O link drive. Hell, I'd even enjoy building my own rotary using a fanuc servo and off the shelf gearbox if that wasn't too crazy of an adventure. I've seen a few guys do that on YouTube with decent results. I think I'd just have to calibrate it to match the positioning after the gear reduction.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWeber View Post
    Interesting. Shows how little I know about this. I would definitely be interested in adding an I/O link drive. Hell, I'd even enjoy building my own rotary using a fanuc servo and off the shelf gearbox if that wasn't too crazy of an adventure. I've seen a few guys do that on YouTube with decent results. I think I'd just have to calibrate it to match the positioning after the gear reduction.
    Yeah that seems like an adventure.
    But could be done cheaper than a rotary, tailstock, and base plate from a known supplier.
    If you do that you should build some type of pneumatic table lock as well.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    Quote Originally Posted by bill4807 View Post
    Yeah that seems like an adventure.
    But could be done cheaper than a rotary, tailstock, and base plate from a known supplier.
    If you do that you should build some type of pneumatic table lock as well.
    If you have any more information about hooking up an I/O link I'd like to know more about doing it. Are there any resources for this kind of stuff? I guess just the manuals for the drive I suppose.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    Thinking I could use a Galil single axis control box with a stepper motor and build a custom rotary:
    DMC-3x01x | Galil

    Drawing inspiration from RCaffin https://www.cnczone.com/forums/linea...gineering.html

  14. #14
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    619

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    there is also an option to hook up the beta I/O LINK,need to check that first,if you have it activated .i am just saying...

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    Quote Originally Posted by zavateandu View Post
    there is also an option to hook up the beta I/O LINK,need to check that first,if you have it activated .i am just saying...
    Do you have any experience with beta I/O links? I would love to keep it simple with that if possible. So I just get the drive and connect it to the I/O on the control and im good to go? Match it with an appropriately sized beta servo? Sounds great. I guess the devil is in the details because the Galil controller seems to be well supported with software and PC interfacing, automatic tuning etc. What am I going to run into if I end up going with the all-Fanuc setup?

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWeber View Post
    Do you have any experience with beta I/O links? I would love to keep it simple with that if possible. So I just get the drive and connect it to the I/O on the control and im good to go? Match it with an appropriately sized beta servo? Sounds great. I guess the devil is in the details because the Galil controller seems to be well supported with software and PC interfacing, automatic tuning etc. What am I going to run into if I end up going with the all-Fanuc setup?
    I do not know about galil.
    But i was just making suggestions on how you could get a 4th axis. If you are looking for a DIY or do not have extensive fanuc knowledge and plc advanced programming skills i would not tackle the beta drive option. This an integrator could guide you through. Because you may buy all hardward and be at a standstill.

    The tsudacoma TPC jr. Controller i would suspect could be an option, not knowing your price range.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control



    This is what adding an I/O link would look like on my Oi Mate MC control. Bill you're right though... its super tempting to hook one of these units up, but it would probably take weeks to get it running correctly. I've been speaking with fanuc about it and we'll see how far I can get before they shut me down and start asking for $$$ for the real answers

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    Well this is an interesting development, apparently my ladder has everything needed for a 4th axis. Now they're checking my parameters. More to come...

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

    Ok Here's another (sad) update. The Mate control won't do simultaneous 4th (pretty much expected that) even though the ladder has everything present. Additionally, the I/O link servo drive is not practical for indexing either (its used for things like pallet changers, tool changers, lathe turrets etc). They basically said it would take alot of monkeying with the ladder to get that to work as a 4th indexer and wouldn't be worth the hassle. The best option for Sharp 2412 owners with a Mate control is a standalone 3rd party motion controller and drive for a rotary indexer controlled by spare M codes via RS232

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWeber View Post
    Ok Here's another (sad) update. The Mate control won't do simultaneous 4th (pretty much expected that) even though the ladder has everything present. Additionally, the I/O link servo drive is not practical for indexing either (its used for things like pallet changers, tool changers, lathe turrets etc). They basically said it would take alot of monkeying with the ladder to get that to work as a 4th indexer and wouldn't be worth the hassle. The best option for Sharp 2412 owners with a Mate control is a standalone 3rd party motion controller and drive for a rotary indexer controlled by spare M codes via RS232
    Yes those applications you reference tool changers, pallet changer are typical for that type of drive. A tool changer is basically an indexer, and true non-simultaneous. I assumed you didn't need that by the way you described it, i use the beta drives for these items and others.
    Either way yes extensive ladder work needed.
    I vote 3rd party.
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12

Similar Threads

  1. Adding motion control to my Z-axis
    By hatch789 in forum Servo Motors / Drives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2019, 04:31 AM
  2. Adding fourth axis to Oi-mate MD
    By Harmeet in forum Fanuc
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2008, 04:37 PM
  4. Control-Mate issues
    By mzartop6 in forum CamSoft Products
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2006, 02:14 AM
  5. Help with O mate control
    By Regal in forum Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2006, 12:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •