585,589 active members*
3,745 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Advice on selecting a chinese 4kw spindle for my 4848 avid pro

Advice on selecting a chinese 4kw spindle for my 4848 avid pro

Hi,
    I am considering a chinese VFD/spindle kit from ebay, etc, for about $700. Is there any repository of reviews or setup guides for such spindles?
    Is there a, perhaps, taiwanese, or italian source for spindles which may be higher quality at a slightly higher price? I would also be open to anyone selling their used 4kw spindle system from avid

Reviews of the chinese ones seem to be amazon clickbait, no real reviews or longevity studies.

I have an avid 4848 at work also, with the 2.2kw spindle (mine at home is a 2.25hp router), the 3kw isn't much stronger, I feel a 4kw may be about right for me, I like milling at lower RPMs sometimes and get too close to stalling it.

Also, is there any info on attaching an aftermarket spindle to drive RPM and on/off from the Avid control box?

Thanks,

Re: Advice on selecting a chinese 4kw spindle for my 4848 avid pro

Quote Originally Posted by Insect View Post
    Hi,
    I am considering a chinese VFD/spindle kit from ebay, etc, for about $700. Is there any repository of reviews or setup guides for such spindles?
    Is there a, perhaps, taiwanese, or italian source for spindles which may be higher quality at a slightly higher price? I would also be open to anyone selling their used 4kw spindle system from avid

Reviews of the chinese ones seem to be amazon clickbait, no real reviews or longevity studies.

I have an avid 4848 at work also, with the 2.2kw spindle (mine at home is a 2.25hp router), the 3kw isn't much stronger, I feel a 4kw may be about right for me, I like milling at lower RPMs sometimes and get too close to stalling it.

Also, is there any info on attaching an aftermarket spindle to drive RPM and on/off from the Avid control box?

Thanks,
    Do you have the Power supply that can drive a 4Kw spindle, this is the first thing you need to know, before you can consider a spindle that size.
    Mactec54

Re: Advice on selecting a chinese 4kw spindle for my 4848 avid pro

I can offer 1 phase, 50 amp, 240v at that location, not 3ph though.