585,667 active members*
4,025 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Alibre XPress

Anyone able to give me some pointers on how to draw a perforated tube using Alibre Xpress, can't seem to find anything that would do this in the manual apart from a helical cut offset from the tube.

How many holes and what sort of pattern? I use Alibre Expert, but Express may allow you to drill one or more holes and then pattern them radially around the tube.

Mike

Smile

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply.

I was thinking of something that would look like the end of some WWII machine guns ( I'm trying to design a high efficiency oil burner - and this is the flame tube of the combuster ).

There will be various diameter holes at different zones down the tube, radially in a pattern right round the tube.

( Just looked in the manual under 'Patterns' linear and radial, will have a stab at it althought the manual does'nt go into much detail ).

Update....

Just managed it, looks way cool. Now I just have to work out what airflow I need at different areas of the tube.
    And here's a picture of what I was trying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails combustor_tube.jpg  

Well, here's the way I would try it in Alibre Expert. Create the tube and then insert a plane that is tangent to the outside circumference. Use the plane to create a row of holes along the axis of the tube, and then use circular pattern to create additional holes around the tube.

I'm attaching a zip file with an example Alibre part. You should be able to import into Alibre Express if you have updated to version 9.1.

A couple of comments:

It might be structurally better to create alternating rows of holes that are offset from each other by half the radial spacing, sorta like this:

o
    o o
    o
    o o

If you need to do that I think that you will have to create two or more planes that tangent to the tube circmference and offset by the angular offset between the hole patterns.

You might also need to create different sets of holes if the diameters will vary at different locations.

Hope that helps a bit - I'm not real good at explaining this stuff.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Isn't that free program so cool! Anyhow if you need to get the extras remember they have modules you can purchase for Xpress. You can buy as you go to get the features you need like enhanced 3D and import/export abilities.

That's Cool, I've been playing around with design express since it's first release and didn't even dream that it could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    Isn't that free program so cool!....You can buy as you go to get the features you need like enhanced 3D and import/export abilities.
    I'm a big Alibre Design fan, too. I used to use Pro/Desktop, which was a free version of PTC's CAD software, but they stopped offering it for free, and the free license even expired completely -- leaving me basically high and dry. I "discovered" Alibre Design about 1.5 years ago and haven't turned back since. The free version is GREAT and there's even an API for programming. (It's the same API for Xpress and full versions, so the programs work just as well in both.)

Kudos to Alibre for offering a free version. And I like that you can step up to more functionality as you need it.

They also have design challenges every once-in-a-while with prized for winners.

I have fired up my Xpress and have to say it is a nice little program for free. But when I hit my max quota of parts in an assembly, I went to Alibre to purchase the option to allow more parts. Evidently, they no longer sell this as an option. The minimum upgrade costs about $1000. Am I missing something?

And no, creating subassemblies did not allow me to have more parts than my quota.

Steve

The options to buy as you need features was apparently costing too much to maintain with few people requesting them.

Anyhow it was pulled some time back due to this. The free version was given more functionality with some import/export and more part in the assembly at no charge.

It is a wonder this thread has not been updated since then but most people use the Alibre forum and not this one.

As for the cost well they have a pretty good deal offered to anyone who registers and signs up to receive their email. They quite often will give large discount offers to those who are signed up.

For a temporary help you could do the trick others have in the past. Unite the assembly into a single part (I think they used booleans but maybe it was an export to iges). It does create a big dumb solid but it allows the assembly to be shown because that is now one big assembled part and graphically you could not tell the difference.

BTW: Wait till you see the Version 10 that will be coming out! Nice features and if you buy ask about the special they have. V10 is way faster with several more features added including a built in CAM.

Thanks TJones.

I was not complaining, just pointing out the lack of upgrades to Xpress, as it seems that you had posted about adding features just 9 months ago. I am registered and get emailed codes to enter to get reduced prices (like Design Expert right now), but I don’t remember anything less than 1K. Please let me know if I am missing something. I can handle something in the several hundred dollar range, but it is hard to sneak a grand out without the misses noticing.

Still a pretty cool little program and I can not blame them for charging for their hard work.
    Steve

I tend to delete most of the email offers I get without reading them, but they used to all be offers for about $500. I'll check the next time I get one.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

They changed the pricing without me even noticing for the first month. I brought this up to them before they ever did it because it was the same for me. It was my program not where I work. The special email offer they give is usually less than the price of a few upgrades options they did offer. Yes the emails I still get (registered for 4 Xpress versions I have installed on many systems for myself, my boss, and my kids) are around the $500 for the standard.

I got lucky and was able to win the basic full version in their contest. Now my job has upgraded me to Expert and paid for a full 3 yrs of maintenance. They really see the benefits of having Alibre and they had been offered those higher priced ones but laughed when they got the quotes.

We use Alibre to model solids for manufacturing. We can use Alibre to design, send to Bobcad for machining of part or electrodes, inspection, but the biggest advantage we have was for Sales.

Alibre has some really nice PDF capabilities and we even do designs for some large companies who have to get their corporate office to approve the work. They love being able to use the 3D PDF files in their presentations to corporate.

Thanks guys.

You are right. I trolled old emails and I did see some offers last fall for the smaller versions for a reduced price. I guess I did not pay attention to them back then. I'll just wait around and see if they repeat their offer.

Steve

Well, well. Speak and you shall be heard.

Alibre Xpress Plus - $250

• 3D parametric solid modeling and associative 2D drafting.
    • Up to 30 unique parts in an assembly.
    • Advanced part modeling tools including 3D sketch, design Booleans, surfacing tools, and shelling.
    • Exchange data between systems in major CAD formats such as STEP, IGES, and SAT, or with our extended 3D publisher.
    • Set of 4 training CDs filled with easy-to-follow instructional videos, as well as built-in tutorials within the program.

http://www.alibre.com/store/pc-85-4-...ress-plus.aspx

Steve

here's a way to work round the part limit if you think it is worth the hassle.

The limit applies to unique parts by the way - not instances of the same part.

It will let you open an assembly with more then the parts limit of parts - but only as read only.

You can make an assembly that contains a few sub assemblies, and save it while it is below the parts limit.

Then close that and open the sub assemblies. you can add more parts into them and save them until each individual sub assembly is at the parts limit.

Now open the main assembly. It will give a warning about the parts limit being exceeded, and open read only. But it will be updated and contain the compolete sub assemblies. you can't save it in this form, but each time you open it it will reflect the latest sug assembly changes.

Of course unless you are careful about maintianing the mates between the sub assemblies, things may go wrong. Then you have the hassle of deleting parts from the sub assemblies to get a savable top level assembly again, then restoring your sub assemblies.

After a bit of this hassle you will be ready to pay $250 I'm sure!

alibre design

i bought alibre design xpress the disk for 5.00 and it works is it limited wil it work on cam software
    don't know much need data mike c

Xpress (even the registered free version) will save in stp format. Most CAM packages will read this export.

Alibre doesn't really "do" 2D CAD. You create a 3D model, and it automatically creates the 2D drawings.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Alibre doesn't really "do" 2D CAD. You create a 3D model, and it automatically creates the 2D drawings.
    You must have it too, LOL. I must admit that switching to Alibre is difficult at first, but once you get used to the GUI things get better.

I only wish they had a Free From Surfacing Feature like BCC. Then I would make the full transition.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Alibre is doing much better at 2D. They have improved and added features to make 2D very usefull. And you get it free with Express too. Try out V10.

Page 1 of 2 12