584,817 active members*
4,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Anilam crusader m control problem.
Page 1 of 4 123

Anilam crusader m control problem.

Hi everyone I am trying to figure out why I'm not getting power out of my PCB 801 board, when I set it up on the bench with the 24v power supply hooked up to it and 110v powered into. When I do this I get the 110v power coming out of the board. Now when I put it back into the panel and wire it up the power out is zero and those power out wires go directly to the transformer, could I have a bad transformer and that's why the power out is zero. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Mike

Re: Anilam crusader m control problem.

What you might be reading on the bench is the leakage from the SSR. It is unlikely that the transformer is bad. Check all of the fuses, that was normally what happened to mine. Is the E-stop and reset relays pulling in with those buttons?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    What you might be reading on the bench is the leakage from the SSR. It is unlikely that the transformer is bad. Check all of the fuses, that was normally what happened to mine. Is the E-stop and reset relays pulling in with those buttons?
    Thanks Jim, I forgot to mention that I had put the wrong power to it, it is 120v and I powered it at 240v and blew a variristor, not sure what else went, that's why I'm thinking maybe the transformer because I over powered it. I feel like an idiot after doing that, but it's done now.

Well that changes things a bit

Even at that, the transformer is about the last thing I would expect to fail. First should be a fuse, then the veristor, then the SSR. You can check the transformer with an ohmmeter, should read near 0.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Well that changes things a bit

Even at that, the transformer is about the last thing I would expect to fail. First should be a fuse, then the veristor, then the SSR. You can check the transformer with an ohmmeter, should read near 0.
    OK thanks Jim.

Hey Jim, I tried running power directly to the transformer and everything powers up, so it must be the board, which I just bought to replace the old one, I checked all the fuses and I have tried 3 different SSR and nothing. Would you say it's the board also?

That is a pretty simple board, so I'm going to say a component(s) on the board has failed and should be pretty easy to troubleshoot. Unfortunately I don't have one else I would guide you through the trouble shooting. I eliminated mine when I upgraded the system. I don't remember exactly what signals are required to get the SSR to turn on, I know the E-stop, and I think the reset button was connected in there some way, but I think it also requires a ''system ready'' signal from the computer.

As I recall, that SSR is a 120V 25 Amp Opto22 unit with zero crossing turn on, with a 3 to 32V DC input side. I would confirm if the SSR is OK. On the bench, connect the output to a 60W or so light bulb, don't just go by a voltmeter, and try to turn it on with a DC signal on the input. You may find that you have bad SSRs.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

That is a pretty simple board, so I'm going to say a component(s) on the board has failed and should be pretty easy to troubleshoot. Unfortunately I don't have one else I would guide you through the trouble shooting. I eliminated mine when I upgraded the system. I don't remember exactly what signals are required to get the SSR to turn on, I know the E-stop, and I think the reset button was connected in there some way, but I think it also requires a ''system ready'' signal from the computer.

As I recall, that SSR is a 120V 25 Amp Opto22 unit with zero crossing turn on, with a 3 to 32V DC input side. I would confirm if the SSR is OK. On the bench, connect the output to a 60W or so light bulb, don't just go by a voltmeter, and try to turn it on with a DC signal on the input. You may find that you have bad SSRs.
    Hey Jim, I am not going to be using the old control or the old servo drives, would it be easy enough to just eliminate this board, the only reason I was going to use it was for ease, I was going to get rid of the stuff I don't need and wire up the new servo drives with the Mesa 5i25 and 7i77 boards.If you could help me out I would gladly pay you for your time.
    Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by CATCH22 View Post
    Hey Jim, I am not going to be using the old control or the old servo drives, would it be easy enough to just eliminate this board, the only reason I was going to use it was for ease, I was going to get rid of the stuff I don't need and wire up the new servo drives with the Mesa 5i25 and 7i77 boards.If you could help me out I would gladly pay you for your time.
    Thanks Mike

Again, that changes everything. Post a parts list of what hardware you are going to use, and I'll get you started

I'm in the shop right now, but I'll pull up the schematics for my machine when I get back to my desk
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Again, that changes everything. Post a parts list of what hardware you are going to use, and I'll get you started

I'm in the shop right now, but I'll pull up the schematics for my machine when I get back to my desk
    Sorry I didn't get right back to you Jim, my son had his hockey banquet. OK so I will be using the Mesa 5i25 and 7i77 and AMC 25a20 servo drives. I'm also going to use the A10 glass scales and the tachs. I'm going to use the original power supply that is 140vdc and the original SEM brushed servo motors also. I would like to use the original contractors too. Eventually I want to install a vfd but funds are tight right now so I will worry about that later. I am going to run the mill with Linuxcnc or try too. Lol
    Thanks so much Jim.

Sounds like a good combination of parts, very similar to my system. Are you going to use the original servo motors? If so, the original servo drives are quite robust and are easy to use with any analog output controller like the Mesa 7i77, I'm still using mine and they work very well with the original motors and my new controller.

I would use a simple 3 wire control to energize the servo power. But you want to connect the E-stop and power on (through relays) back to the controller for monitoring so the controller knows the condition of the servo power and E-stop. You also might want to add a run permissive (controller ready) signal through a relay that is in series with the E-stop. That way the controller can power down the servos in case of a problem.

I would also use the SSR to power up the servo power supply, the zero crossing turn on minimizes the inrush to the circuit.

Here is a quick overview of my system, might be useful to get some ideas. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/knee-...24874-cnc.html
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Sounds like a good combination of parts, very similar to my system. Are you going to use the original servo motors? If so, the original servo drives are quite robust and are easy to use with any analog output controller like the Mesa 7i77, I'm still using mine and they work very well with the original motors and my new controller.

I would use a simple 3 wire control to energize the servo power. But you want to connect the E-stop and power on (through relays) back to the controller for monitoring so the controller knows the condition of the servo power and E-stop. You also might want to add a run permissive (controller ready) signal through a relay that is in series with the E-stop. That way the controller can power down the servos in case of a problem.

I would also use the SSR to power up the servo power supply, the zero crossing turn on minimizes the inrush to the circuit.
    OK is that what the 3 little Relays were for on that board that I can't get working?
    And I will try the original servo drives, but I heard they are really noisy.

OK is that what the 3 little Relays were for on that board that I can't get working?
    I think so, I never really did figure out exactly how that board worked. But I just used 3 small relays in its place.

If you take a look here https://www.cnczone.com/forums/knee-...24874-cnc.html you can see where I have the SSR hanging on the panel and it was then wired into the relays that that power up the system (not installed yet in the pictures)
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Here is a drawing of the basic control circuit. The SSR is not shown, nor is the permissive input from the controller, but I think you'll get the idea. Just turn on the SSR with C2

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schmatic.jpg  
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I think so, I never really did figure out exactly how that board worked. But I just used 3 small relays in its place.

If you take a look here https://www.cnczone.com/forums/knee-...24874-cnc.html you can see where I have the SSR hanging on the panel and it was then wired into the relays that that power up the system (not installed yet in the pictures)
    Hey Jim, looking at the picture of your panel, are the wires coming off of the SSR on number 2 and 3 going directly to the transformer?

Hey Jim, looking at the picture of your panel, are the wires coming off of the SSR on number 2 and 3 going directly to the transformer?

No, it just looks that way in the picture. 1 and 2 (output) break the ''hot'' side of the 120V line to the transformer. 3 and 4 is the input to the SSR
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

No, it just looks that way in the picture. 1 and 2 (output) break the ''hot'' side of the 120V line to the transformer. 3 and 4 is the input to the SSR
    OK so I would have my relay wired in before 3 and 4 right and when the relay is turned on it will alow power to 3 and 4 on the SSR therefore letting the power flow through to the transformer?

OK so I would have my relay wired in before 3 and 4 right and when the relay is turned on it will alow power to 3 and 4 on the SSR therefore letting the power flow through to the transformer?
    That is correct. The reason you need a relay in the circuit is to provide the ''seal in'' contacts so you can use the momentary ''Reset'' button that exists in your panel.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hey Jim, I dont see the three little Relays in the panel anywhere, am I just missing them?

Hey Jim, I dont see the three little Relays in the panel anywhere, am I just missing them?
    They weren't installed yet in that picture. The original 801 board is gone, I used some small DIN rail mount relays I had kicking around. Similar to this one https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...082-ND/4755334
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Page 1 of 4 123