540,361 active members*
1,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Best alternative to Fusion 360 ??
    Registered

Best alternative to Fusion 360 ??

Just retired and setting up my little hobby machine shop. I had always assumed I'd use Fusion 360 since it seemed to be the package suggested on every forum I ever read. However, they've changed the rules and started rent-seeking behaviour on hobbyists, and I'm not a huge fan of being tied to cloud-based products either.

So, I'm after suggestions for alternatives. I have ZERO interest is running Linux, so LinuxCNC is out.

Probably should list my equipment and intended usage, so the replies are targeted accurately.

1. I have a 7 x 12 mini-lathe which will probably be converted to CNC eventually.
    2. I am a retired electronics guy, and will want to be able to route PCBs. To that end I bought a 3018 CNC router.
    3. I am designing a plastics injection moulding machine, so will need to be able to mill out aluminium dies on the 3018 as well.

I've already downloaded the Siemens Solid Edge Community Edition, but sadly it doesn't appear to have CAM integrated, that's a separate package. However I did spend 10 years running a lasercutting business in the 80s and wrote raw GCode so crude conversion programs may be an option.

Any non-cloud and preferrably free option will be considered. I'm not running a business here and my pension won't stretch to commercial offerings.

If you suggest something, please tell me WHY you think it's a good choice.

Cheers,

Rob

Registered

Re: Best alternative to Fusion 360 ??

Brain fade. I forgot to mention that I also have a 3D printer. I plan to use Ultimaker Cura with that, but it would be nice if whatever is suggested also worked with it.

The 3D printer I have is a delta style device, although the name ecapes me. I haven't even opened the box yet. Mini Kossel maybe?

Hi Rob - Look at FreeCAD. It has a CAM module and various other interesting stuff. Its getting better and better and will always be free. Peter

Registered

I have two low cost options for you.

The first is to join the Experimemtal Aircraft Association EAA for $40 per year. This gives you access to one year of Solidworks Education Premium. This is a full featured version of Solidworks which also has 2.5 D integrated CAM.
    https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membersh...esource-center

The second option is to sign up for a one year educational access to Autodesk software, which incidentally includes access to Fusion360. I am a retired engineer taking just a single class at the local community college, and I was able to sign up for the Autodesk educational access. Alternatively you could get access if your children are in high school or college.
    https://www.autodesk.com/education/e...eatured&page=1

Hi Rob- Here's some free CAD alternatives - Peter

https://www.sculpteo.com/en/3d-learn...are-selection/

Registered

I do wonder how many overseas members of the EAA sign up just for the bargain access to Solid Works.