585,758 active members*
4,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Brand New 220v 2.2kw Huanyang Spindle wont activate.

Brand New 220v 2.2kw Huanyang Spindle wont activate.

Hello,

I am an Industrial Arts teacher that has never done maintenance on a CNC machine, so bear with me,

The school that I started working at this year has a Laguna IQ CNC router that had been sitting for some time. Everything worked on it except for the spindle, which would cut, but was very loud, and coolant could not be pumped through it (someone probably forgot to turn on the pump and ruined it years ago). I ordered a brand new spindle that came in today. It is a Huanyang water cooled 220v 2.2kw 24krpm 400hz. I hooked it up correctly as far as I know, but when I test the spindle It will not run.

The Laguna IQ seems to come with its own built in series inverter with all of the required terminals to hook up to. I soldered the correct wires to the aviation plug pins and matched up the 1, 2,and 3 pins with the U, V, and W terminals.

When I power on the system and controller, and test the spindle, nothing happens, I can hear the series inverter turn on, and the led indicator says that the spindle is running.

My main hunches is that somehow I incorrectly hooked up the wires to the spindle or that the Laguna IQ series Inverter from 2013 isn't compatible with the new Huanyang spindle.

I'm stumped as to why it wont activate? Is there something I'm missing

Thank you!

Re: Brand New 220v 2.2kw Huanyang Spindle wont activate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickj23 View Post
    Hello,

I am an Industrial Arts teacher that has never done maintenance on a CNC machine, so bear with me,

The school that I started working at this year has a Laguna IQ CNC router that had been sitting for some time. Everything worked on it except for the spindle, which would cut, but was very loud, and coolant could not be pumped through it (someone probably forgot to turn on the pump and ruined it years ago). I ordered a brand new spindle that came in today. It is a Huanyang water cooled 220v 2.2kw 24krpm 400hz. I hooked it up correctly as far as I know, but when I test the spindle It will not run.

The Laguna IQ seems to come with its own built in series inverter with all of the required terminals to hook up to. I soldered the correct wires to the aviation plug pins and matched up the 1, 2,and 3 pins with the U, V, and W terminals.

When I power on the system and controller, and test the spindle, nothing happens, I can hear the series inverter turn on, and the led indicator says that the spindle is running.

My main hunches is that somehow I incorrectly hooked up the wires to the spindle or that the Laguna IQ series Inverter from 2013 isn't compatible with the new Huanyang spindle.

I'm stumped as to why it wont activate? Is there something I'm missing

Thank you!
    Your spindle is 3 Phase as most are it sounds more an Inverter ( VFD Drive problem ) post some closeup Photos of the VFD Drives connections wiring Etc. It might be a simple fix

Ground must be connected also, does it have a shielded cable from the VFD Drive to the Spindle, this is normally a requirement, they should have a 4 wire shielded cable from the VFD Drive to the Spindle
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Your spindle is 3 Phase as most are it sounds more an Inverter ( VFD Drive problem ) post some closeup Photos of the VFD Drives connections wiring Etc. It might be a simple fix

Ground must be connected also, does it have a shielded cable from the VFD Drive to the Spindle, this is normally a requirement, they should have a 4 wire shielded cable from the VFD Drive to the Spindle

The wire that ran the previous spindle was only three wire, and I assumed that the 4th wire wasn't needed. I am posting a picture of my crappy attempt at soldering the wires on, It probably doesn't help that the tools I am using are probably older than I am.

I am also Posting a picture of the included VFD Drive, It that is even what it is. From my understating It has most if not all of the same connections, and connects to a display on the front of the unit that shows spindle settings.

The next step I planned to take was to remove the existing wire and re-attempt the connections

Quote Originally Posted by Nickj23 View Post
    The wire that ran the previous spindle was only three wire, and I assumed that the 4th wire wasn't needed. I am posting a picture of my crappy attempt at soldering the wires on, It probably doesn't help that the tools I am using are probably older than I am.

I am also Posting a picture of the included VFD Drive, It that is even what it is. From my understating It has most if not all of the same connections, and connects to a display on the front of the unit that shows spindle settings.

The next step I planned to take was to remove the existing wire and re-attempt the connections
    Yes that will have to be cleaned up some and you have to use shrink tubing over each connection so there can not be any possible connection between the wire connections

The spindle has to have a Ground wire that is what the 4th pin in the connector is for, this normally goes back and connects at the VFD Drive Ground

What is the name on the VFD Drive or spec's

The spindle 4th pin will have to be checked to see it is has continuity to the spindle body, if this is not connected it will have to be corrected
    Mactec54