585,763 active members*
4,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Building a Latche CNC... need help withunderstanding electronics requirements

Building a Latche CNC... need help withunderstanding electronics requirements

I'm going to attempt to automate a lathe and wanted some user input and experiences on what electronics I should use.

I currently use a G540 on my CNC and have found it very reliable but I'm struggling with the parallel port connectivity and that its for 4 axis, 2 un-needed. I'm also design unaware, meaning the G540 is nice package in that I just need to connect the servo's to the unit, power it and go. With steppers and drivers it's a little more complicated.. I think the setup is a Motion controller, BOB?, steppers, drivers and power source... is a BOB needed???

I'd like to be able to use my laptop (Windows) and I would probably shy away from Linux.

So, my questions are in no certain order...

- Does it make sense to go G540 again and use UC100 to interface to my laptop?
    - Is it cheaper to simply go with 2 steppers and drivers and an inexpensive BOB?
    - If going the 2 steppers and driver route, are there suggestions for good reliable inexpensive equipment? I'm not looking for top dollar just reliability. I have Keeling motors on my current machine and have no issue with them, are there alternatives?
    - What Motion Controller should I be looking at? Warp9, UC300, K flop, etc.?
    - Reliability and ease of use, recommendations?

Appreciate any input...

Adam,
    Gecko G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X and A axis, 1/2-10 5 Start Acme-Z Axis
    4-THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48 48V

Re: Building a Latche CNC... need help withunderstanding electronics requirements

Please delete this thread...

thanks,
    Gecko G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X and A axis, 1/2-10 5 Start Acme-Z Axis
    4-THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48 48V

Re: Building a Latche CNC... need help withunderstanding electronics requirements

Quote Originally Posted by adam_m View Post
    I'm going to attempt to automate a lathe and wanted some user input and experiences on what electronics I should use.

I currently use a G540 on my CNC and have found it very reliable but I'm struggling with the parallel port connectivity and that its for 4 axis, 2 un-needed. I'm also design unaware, meaning the G540 is nice package in that I just need to connect the servo's to the unit, power it and go. With steppers and drivers it's a little more complicated.. I think the setup is a Motion controller, BOB?, steppers, drivers and power source... is a BOB needed???

I'd like to be able to use my laptop (Windows) and I would probably shy away from Linux.

So, my questions are in no certain order...

- Does it make sense to go G540 again and use UC100 to interface to my laptop?
    - Is it cheaper to simply go with 2 steppers and drivers and an inexpensive BOB?
    - If going the 2 steppers and driver route, are there suggestions for good reliable inexpensive equipment? I'm not looking for top dollar just reliability. I have Keeling motors on my current machine and have no issue with them, are there alternatives?
    - What Motion Controller should I be looking at? Warp9, UC300, K flop, etc.?
    - Reliability and ease of use, recommendations?

Appreciate any input...

Adam,
    A G540 may be a bit much seeing you only need 2 Axis for the Lathe, you still could use Gecko drives though, there are many good Stepper Drives also Leadshine make a good stepper Drive.

If you already are using a UC100 then that is your motion controller, all you need then is the software Mach3, a Breakout Board and a Stepper Driver to suit the steppers you are going to use plus Power supplies

I would use the Acorn Control which has a good lathe software package, UCCNC does not have CNC Lathe software and Mach3 Lathe software is not that great.
    Mactec54