585,987 active members*
4,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Building cnc don't know which electronic components to get

Building cnc don't know which electronic components to get

Hi i am building a cnc machine 4foot by 4foot for cutting out woden name signs the cnc will be made out of steel tube. But I don't know which stepper motors to get and other electronic components. The mechanism to move the x axis I was thinke of using a threaded bar with the nut welded on to the x axis. The stepper motors will have to be fairly powerful because it will be heavy and I also need it to be quick to cut out the signs quick

Re: Building cnc don't know which electronic components to get

wayne17,
    Skip the threaded bar and nut idea. Just buy yourself some Chinese ballscrews they come in all lengths, they are pretty cheap and they are much more accurate. If you go the other route the amount of backlash and slop with lead to very poor results on your signs. Since you have no parts look on ebay they sell complete kits for machines with the stepper motors, power supply, breakout board, etc. Some kits sell you everything you need for a 4x4 machine.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    wayne17,
    Skip the threaded bar and nut idea. Just buy yourself some Chinese ballscrews they come in all lengths, they are pretty cheap and they are much more accurate. If you go the other route the amount of backlash and slop with lead to very poor results on your signs. Since you have no parts look on ebay they sell complete kits for machines with the stepper motors, power supply, breakout board, etc. Some kits sell you everything you need for a 4x4 machine.

Russ
    thanks I will look into the ballscrews and find kit