564,988 active members*
3,540 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > C-Axis Orientation / Lock
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    118

    C-Axis Orientation / Lock

    I have OSP700L, OSP7000L, OSP U10L and OSP U100L. A new job I'm putting in does not use the draw bar for clamping. The fixture has strap clamps to hold the part. I'm looking for a way to orient the spindle and lock it in place for load. The M19 does not work on them for orientation. I think I could use a threading cycle at the end of the program to get the orientation. But I still need a way to lock it to tighten the clamps. I could use any of the above machines to run it. So it it possible on any of them? If so how?


    Edit:
    None of these machines have live tooling.
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."

  2. #2
    Neuer Benutzer
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    I have OSP700L, OSP7000L, OSP U10L and OSP U100L. A new job I'm putting in does not use the draw bar for clamping. The fixture has strap clamps to hold the part. I'm looking for a way to orient the spindle and lock it in place for load. The M19 does not work on them for orientation. I think I could use a threading cycle at the end of the program to get the orientation. But I still need a way to lock it to tighten the clamps. I could use any of the above machines to run it. So it it possible on any of them? If so how?
    Usually the chuck has two functions, internal and external jaw clamping. To reverse the function there is usually a hand valve to reverse the chuck function. However, M10 is always clamp and M11 unclamp in both modes. Perhaps you can use the opposite function and C axis?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    118

    Re: C-Axis Orientation / Lock

    Attachment 488066Attachment 488068

    Pics added. Just need to lock the spindle so it doesn't move while clamping the part.
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."

  4. #4
    Neuer Benutzer
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    Attachment 488066Attachment 488068

    Pics added. Just need to lock the spindle so it doesn't move while clamping the part.
    Can you select C axis in jog handwheel mode, dial the spindle desired lock pin position and note the position (ie 100°) ?

    Then in program

    G01 C100 F1000
    M19 or M01 to open the door ?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    118

    Re: C-Axis Orientation / Lock

    Thanks for trying to help. According to Okuma's applications department. In order to get both orientation and servo lock of the spindle you need to have the Spindle Orientation option turned on.
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."

  6. #6
    Neuer Benutzer
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    Thanks for trying to help. According to Okuma's applications department. In order to get both orientation and servo lock of the spindle you need to have the Spindle Orientation option turned on.
    Errmm.. I took that as done :-)

  7. #7
    Flies Fast
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2932
    Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    I have OSP700L, OSP7000L, OSP U10L and OSP U100L. A new job I'm putting in does not use the draw bar for clamping. The fixture has strap clamps to hold the part. I'm looking for a way to orient the spindle and lock it in place for load. The M19 does not work on them for orientation. I think I could use a threading cycle at the end of the program to get the orientation. But I still need a way to lock it to tighten the clamps. I could use any of the above machines to run it. So it it possible on any of them? If so how?


    Edit:
    None of these machines have live tooling.
    The last line says it all .... you needed some axis control on the spindle motor, and a spindle clamp/braking method

    Not having live tooling means that C-axis control is not required on the machine. They are just 2 axis (XZ) lathes.
    M19 is a type of axis control not required on a 2 axis machine.

    A threading cycle is just a timing signal of when to engage a feedrate at a set RPM, finishing the cycle ends any timing algorithm.

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1245

    Re: C-Axis Orientation / Lock

    I think the only way is to turn on the spindle orientation function and use the M19. It is software only and requires no hardware.

    Maybe Kurmay can grant your wish?

    Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Similar Threads

  1. M02 unlock spindle orientation lock
    By kurmay in forum Okuma
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2022, 08:34 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2021, 02:45 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2016, 11:07 AM
  4. How to lock z-axis when power isturned off
    By mikefalkner in forum DIY CNC Router Table Machines
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-29-2013, 11:11 AM
  5. ez trak z axis program lock
    By Mikael! in forum Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 03:19 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •