495,938 active members
8,955 visitors online
Register for free
Login
495,938 active members
Page 1 of 3 123
    Neuer Benutzer

Can anyone recommend a VFD brand and a good supplier?

After my difficulties with my VFD (Here's the thread if your interested: [url]https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spindles-vfd/372480-huanyang-gt-inverter-starts-doesnt-stop.html[/url]). I am going to buy a new VFD.

I would like to know what are some brands you have had good experience with and what to stay away from. And do you have any recommendations for a good supplier. I don't have a lot of experiance with VFD's so a good supplier is important.

What is important to me is:
    Well made product that does not need tinkering (A set it and forget it).
    A supplier who can sell me the correct product, (being able to size it etc.)
    A supplier/company with good tech support that would be willing to walk me through every step of setting it up if needed.
    Price is always a concern, but I am willing to pay more for a good product.

I will be avoiding the Huanyang brand after this.

I've attached a picture of my Spindles plate if interested.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]408902[/ATTACH]

Registered

Re: Can anyone recommend a VFD brand and a good supplier?

Do you have 3 phase power available?

Registered

I cannot vouch for customer service but real vfd manufacturers have manuals that are way way better than the junk packaged with generic Asian import ones. Step one, ignore most of the vfds on Amazon and buy one from an actual process control place like Automation Direct

I've heard great things about the Lenze SMvector drives.
    The WEG Cfw300 is a good one, same with durapulse gs3, and maybe a small step down, TECO.
    You should not have to oveesize with a good vfd. Just buy the one with the same hp rating (and amp rating) as your spindle.

The ones I have used in the past that also have good customer support:
    Hitachi
    WEG
    Mitsubishi
    also Allen-Bradly and Telelmecanique, at higher $$.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Neuer Benutzer

I don't have 3 phase. As seen in the picture it is only 6.6 hp. My power to the unit can handle 60 amps conservatively.

Looks like a 18,000rpm spindle 380v 3ph.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered

[QUOTE=TTalma;2247716]I don't have 3 phase. As seen in the picture it is only 6.6 hp. My power to the unit can handle 60 amps conservatively.[/QUOTE]

The reason I asked the question is because the motor is 380V (400V class) so this limits your options a bit. Most 400V class VFDs require 3 phase input. There are some 230V single phase in and 380V out VFDs, but most are from Asian vendors. Not sure if there are any mainstream manufacturers that supply a VFD like that.

If I needed to run that motor, I would install a rotary phase converter and a transformer to get 3 phase 400V power available. Then your VFD options increase dramatically, and in that case I would go with a Automation Direct GS3 VFD.

Neuer Benutzer

I've done a little checking. I haven't made any calls, but It looks like Danfoss, Hitachi, and Delta make a VFD that I can use. I was looking for a TB Woods one, but apparently they sold their motor control division to Danfoss.

I do not know a lot about motors but from what I can gather from online discussions etc, I need a VFD that takes 240V in and can put out 380V. And since I would be using 2 phase rather than 3 phase I would need one rated for double the Kw draw (or double the hp) since the current draw on the 240V will be double, and the math supports this.

And in most instances a VFD that is 3 phase will work with single phase 240V input. But I need to verify this with the manufacturer.

But mainly since I am not sure I will definitely need to make a call before I order one. If you had to call someone to select one for you who would you call?

Out of the selection I have only used Hitachi, and received good service when contacting them via Hitachi USA site.
    Al.

Albert E.

Gold Member

[QUOTE=TTalma;2247686]After my difficulties with my VFD (Here's the thread if your interested: [url]https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spindles-vfd/372480-huanyang-gt-inverter-starts-doesnt-stop.html[/url]). I am going to buy a new VFD.

I would like to know what are some brands you have had good experience with and what to stay away from. And do you have any recommendations for a good supplier. I don't have a lot of experiance with VFD's so a good supplier is important.

What is important to me is:
    Well made product that does not need tinkering (A set it and forget it).
    A supplier who can sell me the correct product, (being able to size it etc.)
    A supplier/company with good tech support that would be willing to walk me through every step of setting it up if needed.
    Price is always a concern, but I am willing to pay more for a good product.

I will be avoiding the Huanyang brand after this.

I've attached a picture of my Spindles plate if interested.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]408902[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

If you had of posted your spindle spec's in your other thread, you may not of messed up the other VFD drive, going by what I can see from this Combo Spindle spec's, you had all the main Parameters set wrong, if this is the same spindle you where trying to run on the other VFD Drive

It does not matter what brand of VFD Drive you buy, very few tech support people know how to setup VFD Drives for High Speed Spindles
    Mactec54

Gold Member

[QUOTE=TTalma;2247952]I've done a little checking. I haven't made any calls, but It looks like Danfoss, Hitachi, and Delta make a VFD that I can use. I was looking for a TB Woods one, but apparently they sold their motor control division to Danfoss.

I do not know a lot about motors but from what I can gather from online discussions etc, I need a VFD that takes 240V in and can put out 380V. And since I would be using 2 phase rather than 3 phase I would need one rated for double the Kw draw (or double the hp) since the current draw on the 240V will be double, and the math supports this.

And in most instances a VFD that is 3 phase will work with single phase 240V input. But I need to verify this with the manufacturer.

But mainly since I am not sure I will definitely need to make a call before I order one. If you had to call someone to select one for you who would you call?[/QUOTE]

Well that's not going to happen, what you put in in this case is what you get out, the only way you can do this is with a transformer 240v to 380v and then a VFD drive that is 380v

But even then this may not work very well, you really need 380v 3 phase for this Spindle

[U]All 3phase VFD Drives can run on single phase[/U], up to the max that you can get from your supply as single phase, 12Hp is around the limit for most Single Phase supplies

Buy a Spindle and VFD to suit your Power source which seems to be 240v single phase and 4.5Kw would be around the max Spindle you could run
    Mactec54

Neuer Benutzer

[QUOTE=mactec54;2248140]If you had of posted your spindle spec's in your other thread, you may not of messed up the other VFD drive, going by what I can see from this Combo Spindle spec's, you had all the main Parameters set wrong, if this is the same spindle you where trying to run on the other VFD Drive

It does not matter what brand of VFD Drive you buy, very few tech support people know how to setup VFD Drives for High Speed Spindles[/QUOTE]

This is the spindle that I had on the other forum. I still haven't ordered a new one yet, If you are able to point me in the right direction concerning the settings I am willing to try them. The on I am most interested in getting working is how to make the spindle stop when I press the stop button. I currently have nothing connected to the VFD other than power and and the spindle. So I would like to be able to get that working. and would very much appreciate the help in doing that.

I am surprised by your comment that very few tech support know how to setup high speed spindles. I spoke with people from several suppliers and while I was switched to a couple of different tech because it was a high speed spindle, in every call there was someone familiar with the spindle and exactly with what I am trying to do, apparently it's very common.

Page 1 of 3 123