549,839 active members*
2,145 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Canadian Club House > Can I engrave a face model by the 3D models from 3D scanner?

Can I engrave a face model by the 3D models from 3D scanner?

I want to use the CNC to engrave my wife's face on board. My friend has a 3D scanner. So I want to borrow his 3D scanner to scan my wife's face and then engrave her face on board.

Registered

Re: Can I engrave a face model by the 3D models from 3D scanner?

Technically,it is within the bounds of possibility.All you need to do is create a 3D file in a format that your software can read and produce a roughing cut,followed by a finishing cut with a cutter small enough to cope with the finer details.

In practice you will have a lot of work to do because your file will be rather deep and will need to have a base plane introduced.It may be possible to use a scaling function to reduce the depth of the 3d object to something that you machine can traverse and which is within the thickness of your board.

Without knowing more about your machine and the software you use its hard to be specific and I would recommend that you consider looking at photo-engraving as an alternative-if your system can do it.You would need a well lit photograph,saved as greyscale and a fairly small cutter-which takes quite a bit of time to cover the surface-but it is less likely to go through the board and you can usually specify the maximum depth of cut.It is a really easy process with LinuxCNC and I know some of the Vectric software can produce the toolpaths.

Re: Can I engrave a face model by the 3D models from 3D scanner?

If you're talking about engraving and not full 3D relief carving, then I don't think the 3D scan will help much. If you have a 2D CAD program, you can use a regular photo of your wife's face as a background bitmap and trace lines that you can save in DXF format and feed to a CAM program, which will create G-code your engraver can run.
    Andrew Werby
    Website