584,826 active members*
5,080 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > China NEMA 34 motor kit problems
Page 1 of 3 123

China NEMA 34 motor kit problems

I have tried everything I can think of to fix the issue
    I bought this kit off ebay US Free! Wantai 3Axis Nema34 Stepper Motor Dual Shaft 1600oz-in&Driver 7.8A CNC | eBay
    This may be my mistake to start with...
    https://youtu.be/g5CCSTHG9co
    This is the video of the issue. If you turn up the sound, you can hear the motor BUMP or skip a little every 10 secs or so but then it will just start grinding and stall. It stalls on all axis no matter if you go slow or fast speed but can only get 80 IPM out of the motors without missing a bunch of steps.

Things I have tried,
    Tested all power supplies 60VDC good
    Checked all wiring
    Changed setting on drives with amps (3.5 amps) to pules per inch (right now set at 2730)
    Attachment 359140

I see where other people was having issues with the Breakout Board so I bypassed the optoisolation on the board.

My question is, do I need a new Break out board and which is the best to get or do I need something else
    I lean to the break out board because all motors will stall at different times
    What do you guys think.

Re: China NEMA 34 motor kit problems

That looks like a mid band resonance stall to me. Add a load to the shaft and see if it improves. If not, I would lean towards the drivers, not the breakout board.

But in general:
    "China NEMA 34 motor kit problems"
    ^^^^^^ that's your problem right there!
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

I think you're right - buying those motors was your mistake. While the holding torque number seems good at 1600 oz-in, the 22mH of inductance it takes to give you that at 3.5 amps means that these motors are starved for voltage, which is probably why they're performing so poorly. Unless you're willing to give them something approaching the 150v they really want (and you can find drives that can handle it) then starting over with different motors would probably be your best bet. If you like shopping on Ebay, these ones, for instance, with about 1/3 the inductance and more amperage, would give you a little more holding torque but much better performance at 60v (although they'd be happier with 85 volts or so.)
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    . If you like shopping on Ebay, these ones, for instance, with about 1/3 the inductance and more amperage,.)
    Thanks for the info Seems like I would learn but the last ebay china motors set worked great, By the way your link didn't work and eBay is not a big deal Just like to have something that will work with the drives and power supplies.
    If someone could point me into the right motor place so I can get this finished.
    Just to let you guys know, I changed out a NEMA 23 system to get faster speed that worked great at 70 IMP. Now I cant get 80 IMP without stalling. Don't want to scrap $500.00 but can replace the motors. The drives look good and have more amps, but thinking I am tapped out with 60 VDC

Got any ideal on what to get to match these drives
    Thanks for all the help

Hmm - that link doesn't seem to have made it into my post. I'll try again: Nema 34 Stepper Motor 1700oz in 5a (7.5mh Inductance) 1/2in Single Shaft | eBay I'm not endorsing this particular seller (or Ebay in general); it was just an example of a similar motor with less inductance and more torque.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

OK with new motors it will do the same thing. I will run the motors at any speed and you can hear the motors skip. Does it at about the same time. I changed the DB25 breakout board, the drivers, and the motors but the same problem.?.?
    https://youtu.be/MtDzF3EsSwE
    If you turn on the sound for the video you can hear it skip twice if I try to run it fast, the motors will stall
    I have a G540 but can you just hook up one motor to one output to test and see if it does the same thing or should I try something else.
    Thanks for the help

Hi dear .
    Did u try to change ur pc , and change the specs im nach 3 at system speed , u can try 100000khz .

Just change the kernel speed to 100k with no change. Also changed to a gecko drive 540 and does the same thing.
    Guess I need to find a different computer to try with a printer port.
    Anyone else have any ideals??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Run Drivertest.exe in the Mach3 folder, and see if you get a flat line, with no spikes, and a steady pulse rate.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Not really sure how to get The results from the driver test because at the end it just says test complete but here is a picture of one Spike. is this bad??
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...63ecd276ee.jpg

I was having same problems , was from pc , and paralel port , now i use uc300eth , and all go smooth now .
    U can try another pc , maibe an old one .

I was having same problems , was from pc , and paralel port , now i use uc300eth , and all go smooth now .
    U can try another pc , maibe an old one .
    Do you have the same motor with 22 mH of inductance ? or different motor with a lot lower inductance.

Motors doesnt count , for me , because i used some tipes of motors , and with all making same noise , the problem was my pc giving some interupts to paralel board some times , after i use an old pc , and i changed controller , all go smooth and easy .

What I have tried
    Motors with different mh some with 22mh others with 4.2mh also a NEMA 23 and NEMA 34

Different Drivers from a 7amp China to a gecko drive g540

Different power supplies from home built to a 10amp 60 VDC

3 different Breakout boards but all with the 25 pun printer cable

All these changes had not effect on the problem

Going to try changing the computer today and if that doesn't work. Guess I will order the ethernet board and see if that works.

Going to try changing the computer today and if that doesn't work. Guess I will order the ethernet board and see if that works.
    You have to have your basic DB25 work first before installing Ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    You have to have your basic DB25 work first before installing Ethernet
    Everything works with the DB25 all the input and outputs. the only issue is that the motors will skip on all axis. If I keep running the axis then the motor will stall. The skipping and stall will happen at any speed.
    Still working on a computer. Having issues finding one that works.
    Going to cal CNC4pc.com today and see if they think the ethernet card will work. This the only thing I have not tried.

Have you run the motors connected to a machine? With a motor just sitting on a bench, they can be susceptible to resonance, which is what you are seeing.
    Try drilling a hole in a hockey puck and pressing it on to the shaft, and see if it still does the same thing. It will act like a damper and may help, if resonance is the issue that you are seeing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have run it on the CNC but the motors will stall while running a code and you can hear the motors do the same little buzzing sound then they will stall.

Trell,
    Just use a laptop for a quick test install Mach3 trial and spin the motors if that error with the stalling disappears it is a PC issue. You could go with something like an Ethernet Smoothstepper which really takes the PC out of the picture since it generates all the pulses electronically on board. Some PCs just struggle to be used as a CNC controller, try an older PC often will work just fine. You need to pin point the basic cause of the problem and then move forward.
    Russ

Update of where I am at now
    Ordered the UC300ETH and having an issue getting it connect to the computer. I am using a old E machine running Vista but it will not connect to the network. Got a crossover cable and all the lights blink like it is going to connect, but doesn't connect or see the card. I wonder if it is Vista causing the issues or something else. If it is the computer I will put a video of me shooting it with a ar15 and Colt 45

Page 1 of 3 123