584,817 active members*
4,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese Spindle Repair

Chinese Spindle Repair

Hi.. I have a 5.5kw ATC Water Cooled Spindle that was damaged...motor guy says windings ng...Does anybody know if these can be repaired? Or do you just have to get new?

Thanks

Re: Chinese Spindle Repair

To have a reputable rebuild shop redo your spindle would probably cost more than a new Chinese replacement. If you are a job shop, might pay to have a replacement on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by paragon61 View Post
    Hi.. I have a 5.5kw ATC Water Cooled Spindle that was damaged...motor guy says windings ng...Does anybody know if these can be repaired? Or do you just have to get new?

Thanks
    Being a 5.5Kw ATC it may be worth doing, but you need to find the reason for this to fail

How long has it been in service

VFD Drive settings
    Mactec54

Hi..thanks for replying...it was running for a year or so..then someone was cutting some carbon fiber with a special cutter and somehow the cutter tried to cut way too much at once and quickly...spindle stopped...thought at the time the inverter alone was fried...didnt use till few months ago...got new inverter (10hp) .started to set up ..didnt work..sent to motor guy..he said windings ng..he said he could rewind but to research replacement stator..asked Helen @vipwindows...she said couldnt supply only option to send back...$1200

So I am researching what I can till I hear from motor guy.

Thanks again

Hi..thanks for replying...it was running for a year or so..then someone was cutting some carbon fiber with a special cutter and somehow the cutter tried to cut way too much at once and quickly...spindle stopped...thought at the time the inverter alone was fried...didnt use till few months ago...got new inverter (10hp) .started to set up ..didnt work..sent to motor guy..he said windings ng..he said he could rewind but to research replacement stator..asked Helen @vipwindows...she said couldnt supply only option to send back...$1200

So I am researching what I can till I hear from motor guy.

Thanks again
    Ok then the VFD was never setup correct is what caused this whole problem if the max spindle amps and max voltage was set correct this would not happen, the VFD would of gone into a fault there are many Parameters that need to be set for the protection of the spindle and the VFD if they are not set this will always happen

Going by what you are saying you may be better off with a new spindle, and look at the possible repair of the damaged one
    Mactec54

It is not so easy for a person to repair a spindle. You could ask for some professional service if you think it is worth doing so.
    There are tow links for your information.
    https://www.setco.com/services/spindle-repair2/
    https://spindlerepair.com/welcome/

P.S. $1200 is a little bit expensive. Another thing, what spindle brand are you using?
    Last edited by QPOWIER; 08-25-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Hi..thanks for reply...it is an ATC so it has even more value to me..the model is by Changzhou... 120TD18Z5.5A

Hi..thanks for reply...it is an ATC so it has even more value to me..the model is by Changzhou... 120TD18Z5.5A
    Steps to completing a rewind:

Fully test windings for any possible problems using the industries top equipment.
    Once unit is approved for rewind, full schematics will be produced to ensure every aspect of the windings is replicated using top materials.
    The unit will then be stripped of the old copper using a cold stripping method to ensure preservation of the laminations.
    Beginning the winding process includes spraying the laminations with varnish and inserting insulation exceeding manufacturer specs.
    Coils are then wound on a computerized winding machine to ensure proper wire layering form.
    Once all the coils are inserted a full connection of the coils will take place replicating factory data.
    Full testing of the windings will take place before the unit is ready for varnish coating.

QUITE DIFFICULT, RIGHT?
    HERE IS THE LINK: https://www.generalservo.com/services/winding/

If they do a rewind they will need custom made wrenches to take it apart also, not using the correct tools will damage your spindle parts and mess up the balance of the spindle
    Mactec54

Hi...it has been a while but today i just decided to try the spindle again after motor guy said windings ng...first try turned 10 seconds..tripped oc1...tried again...ran to full speed..tried again tripped...quit.. but happy seems not to be totaled..spindle is 5.5 kw water cooled 600hz max...12amps@ 380v.. inverter is huanyang gt 7.5kw 220v in 380 v out.

looking for guidance in terms of inverter setup..

Thanks

Hi...it has been a while but today i just decided to try the spindle again after motor guy said windings ng...first try turned 10 seconds..tripped oc1...tried again...ran to full speed..tried again tripped...quit.. but happy seems not to be totaled..spindle is 5.5 kw water cooled 600hz max...12amps@ 380v.. inverter is huanyang gt 7.5kw 220v in 380 v out.

looking for guidance in terms of inverter setup..

Thanks
    What is the rated

Max Rated Speed RPM=

Minimum Rated Speed RPM=
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    What is the rated

Max Rated Speed RPM=

Minimum Rated Speed RPM=
    Hi...max is 18000....no minimum written.

sorry...just saw after cleaning motor off...it is 220v, not 380..20 amps,not 12... still5.5kw

Hi...max is 18000....no minimum written.
    See how this goes for you there may need to be so adjustments

Huanyang
    5.5Kw 380v 600Hz Water Cooled

PD000=0 ( 0 For Parameter unlock ) ( 1 For Locked )

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )
    ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Remote Terminal Control 1-2 jumper connection )

PD003=600

PD004=600

PD005=600

PD006=300

PD007=20

PD008=380 (Motor Rated Voltage )

PD009=190

PD010=12

PD011=120 ( Minimum RPM Setting )

PD13= 08 (is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings )

PD014=8 ( Acceleration Adjust to suit)

PD015=8 ( Deceleration Adjust to suit)

PD023=0 ( Forward Run Only )

PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency up to 10 Max for these Spindle motors)

PD120=120 ( Stall Prevention )

PD141=380 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142=12 ( Motor Max Amps )

PD143=4 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) 3,000= (18,000)

PD070=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD072=600

PD073=120 ( Minimum RPM )

PD174= ??? ( To Be Set to the VFD Drives Max Rated Output Amps )
    Mactec54

Hi...my book from inverter has different parameter prefix..like p2.01=motor rated power..
    Also in checking spindle with multimeter..I get .2 on all 3 wires when checking wire to wire...not sure if that is good or bad?

Thanks