589,390 active members*
7,882 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Cincinnati FTV 1050-3700 Z Axis dropping mid program.

Cincinnati FTV 1050-3700 Z Axis dropping mid program.

Hi,

I have an FTV which has an intermittent fault where during a program the machine suddenly drops approximately 20mm in the Z axis. The tool carousel door opens and the machine stops (Similar to hitting E-stop). The machine has a fanuc controller, the alarm messages are all coming up as external so i assume its on the machine side. When the problem occurs the control is frozen and the machine has to be powered off at the wall and started again.
    Im not sure which servos are for each axis but when the problem occurs there is an alarm code 24 on one of the servos. (Ill add a picture). The only error message that appears when the problem occurs is (COMM. ERROR: 011 (WATCHDOG ERROR) ) and this is on the handheld pendent. Once the machine is switched on and off it could work away without any fault for days/weeks but seems to be happening more frequently of late.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in giving some direction of where to look.

TIA

Re: Cincinnati FTV 1050-3700 Z Axis dropping mid program.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergal1 View Post
    Hi,

I have an FTV which has an intermittent fault where during a program the machine suddenly drops approximately 20mm in the Z axis. The tool carousel door opens and the machine stops (Similar to hitting E-stop). The machine has a fanuc controller, the alarm messages are all coming up as external so i assume its on the machine side. When the problem occurs the control is frozen and the machine has to be powered off at the wall and started again.
    Im not sure which servos are for each axis but when the problem occurs there is an alarm code 24 on one of the servos. (Ill add a picture). The only error message that appears when the problem occurs is (COMM. ERROR: 011 (WATCHDOG ERROR) ) and this is on the handheld pendent. Once the machine is switched on and off it could work away without any fault for days/weeks but seems to be happening more frequently of late.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in giving some direction of where to look.

TIA
    Contact me at [email protected] (+918168294379 my whatsapp)
    Lets discuss

Fergal, The Original Software done in the UK by GE-Fanuc-Europe had a Z-Drop-Bug in the parameters; that I diagnosed and corrected and tested the parameters to correct the X-Move,Fault, Z-Drop issue.
    This should help reduce the Z-Drop; but will not solve the issues of the servos shutting off due to an error.
    I would look at the Alarm history present at the time of the fault and take a photo, as well as any servo faults; without turning anything off!
    I could not read the fault code on your servo picture. Zoom-In

Fergal, The Original Software done in the UK by GE-Fanuc-Europe had a Z-Drop-Bug in the parameters; that I diagnosed and fixed.
    This should help reduce the Z-Drop; but will not solve the issues of the servos shutting off due to an error.
    I would look at the Alarm history present at the time of the fault and take a photo, as well as any servo faults; with out turning anything off!
    I could not read the fault code on the servo picture.

The alarm code displayed is 24 on the spindle servo drive. I have replaced the optical I/O link and spindle amplifier in the back of the pendent. I have been running the machine again and today it came up with a fault upon start up which displayed 975 Bus Error.

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by gwood View Post
    Fergal, The Original Software done in the UK by GE-Fanuc-Europe had a Z-Drop-Bug in the parameters; that I diagnosed and fixed.
    I would look at the Alarm history present at the time of the fault and take a photo, as well as any servo faults; with out turning anything off!
    I could not read the fault code on the servo picture.

See Attachments for I/O Link Fail

975 Bus Fail: A bus error occurred on the motherboard. The motherboard may be faulty.

I would look at the 24V power supply voltage to the control 1st.
    With power off you could unplug the pendant and power on the control only (It will be in E-Stop from unplugging)

I will look into this tomorrow, the issue is that the machine has being working perfect again now after restarting it after the Bus error was displayed.
    I have been in contact with a technician in Fanuc UK and shared the error codes so hopefully I will hear back from them soon.
    They are thinking its some component within the controller itself that is beginning to fail due to the unpredictability or the different faults and way its behaving.

I will keep you updated on the progress it may help someone else out.