586,009 active members*
5,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Circuit Board Repair

My 1995 Haas VF3 has axis motor Servo Drive Board that needs repair.

Any one know who could do this. Brief on line search brought up
    ACS Industrial Provides Electronics Repair Service To Businesses
    Anyone tried them?
    Called but they're closed right now
    Regards,
    Tony
    [email protected]
    http://www.xenomechanics.com

We fix electronics break downs in house if its fixable, and it usually is. Typically these type of things can be fixed with about $5 worth of electronic components, sometimes not. Is it an old brushed motor machine or does it have brushless motors? Somewhere around late '94 mid '95 Haas switched to brushless motors. If it is brushless im pretty sure any of the servo drive cards made from the first series of brushless machines to the latest will work fine. So you might pick up a cheap used one on Fleabay or if youre in a hurry you can call Haas and get a new one delivered the next day. Last one i bought new was about $1200 if i remember right.

PS. If you are going to be unwiring one of the brushless drive cards be very careful. There are some capacitors that should be discharged first to safely remove the drive cards if it was powered up shortly before attempting to remove the cards.

It's a Haas Printed Circuit board 93-1077A for my Y axis motor
    I've attempted to attach a picture of it.
    All the components are above or below the board (no printed layers in the middle).
    Tony
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haas93-1077A.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	222322
    [email protected]

Thats a drive card for a brushed motor. What alarm are you getting? Have you verified that the drive itself is the problem? You can switch the wires around on the drive thats suspect with one of the other axes. Just swap the wires on the X and Y cards, you have to switch the wires going to the motor from the drive and also the wires coming into the boards. Then if the problem jumps to the other axes you know positively its the drive card, if the problem stays on the same axes its not the drive but the motor itself. I have a '94 VF mill with brushed motors, ive replaced two motors over the years but never had one of the drivers go bad. Usually brush dust build up in the motor is the culprit.

I believe it's 161-163 alarms.
    Yes I've verified that it's the boards. A month ago I isolated it to my y axis motor PCB. I replaced the board ($600 for the board). Replaced it and it ran fine. Not my Z axis went. I had a feeling they were all going to start going at around the same time. Next is my X axis board.

I have 1995 machine. I expect other machines are going to be having the same problem I'm having.

I realize that the board schematics are not going to be available from Haas, but it's my impression that certain board compontents like capacitors and OP amps are wear out quickly and someone that know what they are doing would know what to look for and rebuild these boards.
    Tony
    [email protected]

If you get stuck and cant find a replacement or no one to fix it for you shoot me a PM.

Any update on the repair services? I have a board that needs fixing and I was considering this same comany.