585,978 active members*
4,397 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coaxial Indicator

So... was at the Tormach open house and was shown the Heimer coaxial indicator for dialing in your drills and boring tools on your gang tool. My question is, which version do you folks recommend. At nearly $600 I just thought the 3 axis Heimer was high (even though I own one and love it).

Tormach version $550:
    Haimer CENTRO Precision Centering Device

Travers $220:

Co-Ax Type | Travers.com

Thoughts? Or other ideas for a fairly new guy. A better way to skin the cat????

Later,
    Awall
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Re: Coaxial Indicator

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    So... was at the Tormach open house and was shown the Heimer coaxial indicator for dialing in your drills and boring tools on your gang tool. My question is, which version do you folks recommend. At nearly $600 I just thought the 3 axis Heimer was high (even though I own one and love it).

Tormach version $550:
    Haimer CENTRO Precision Centering Device

Travers $220:

Co-Ax Type | Travers.com

Thoughts? Or other ideas for a fairly new guy. A better way to skin the cat????

Later,
    Awall

Since you wont be using it very often i would just get a cheapo.

I got this for 60 bux on amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/All-Industria...xial+indicator

looks same as the tavers. Works well and free shipping if you have prime.

Get some nicer tooling with the money saved imo.

Jesse

Been looking at one for a while. Would like one for finding centers more accurately on mill and for future lathe setups also.

I got mine from Enco for about $85. It works well. I use it in the lathe all the time.

Buy Centering Test Indicator Sets (607-4907) from UseEnco

I have a used Blake co-ax indicator in addition to a Haimer 3D Taster and usually the Haimer when finding the ID of bores or the OD of bosses in the mill. I prefer the Haimer to center gang tool holders as well. Maybe my Blake got abused by the previous owner but it doesn't seem to find centers as accurately as the Haimer.

From what I've read the import co-ax indicators aren't as well built as the actual Blakes and tend to have a rough movement but that may depend on the QA for a particular import source.

I like German made tools period! My hamier probe was well worth the money. And I see no difference with the center finder system. Precision is everything in this craft.

I just use a dial indicator to sweep the holes in the tool holder. I use a three position tool holder which is on 1.25 centers (2.5" because of diameter mode) in theory. Real world, they are slightly off, so if you sweep all three and get the variances, you can make a note and put it on a sticky note ( or dymo tape ) on your monitor. In my case hole 1 to hole 2 is 2.5004 ( diameter mode ), 2 to 3 is 2.4997, 1 to 3 is 5.0001. This way, before a run, you only have to sweep the first hole and apply the correct offsets for the other two in your tool table. I use a Haimer on the mill, and this thing is just gold. I never thought of using it to center that first hole, but it's a great idea.

Very true adamvs!
    I just watched ox on youtube sweep with an indicator and a little lever attachment! very cool very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by adamvs View Post
    I just use a dial indicator to sweep the holes in the tool holder. I use a three position tool holder which is on 1.25 centers (2.5" because of diameter mode) in theory. Real world, they are slightly off, so if you sweep all three and get the variances, you can make a note and put it on a sticky note ( or dymo tape ) on your monitor. In my case hole 1 to hole 2 is 2.5004 ( diameter mode ), 2 to 3 is 2.4997, 1 to 3 is 5.0001. This way, before a run, you only have to sweep the first hole and apply the correct offsets for the other two in your tool table. I use a Haimer on the mill, and this thing is just gold. I never thought of using it to center that first hole, but it's a great idea.
    I can never get my dial indicator even close enough to sweep my gang block holes.Seems like you'd have to be really close to even start sweeping with an indicator?