585,581 active members*
3,752 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 5 2345
    Hello everyone,
    I've been doing a lot of reading on CNC and I am very interested in the KL-6090. I'm enlisted in the Army (aka poor) and I can't afford to be wrong about this machine. I will be making my first CNC purchase and I don't plan on having to buy another for several years to come.

I build acoustic guitars and I am interested in cranking out inlay jobs in Abalone and Mother of pearl into ebony and rosewood primarily. I'll also be fabricating laminated necks made from woods of different densities.

I think this machine is probably overkill, but that is a good thing IMO. Like I said, I only want to make one purchase.

Thanks,
    Joey

Joey,

Save your money and sanity and go with Gecko.

If you want I have some KL6050's (3), two that appear to work and one that appears to work, but when you actually run a program...I believe the microstepping on that one unit has some problem. You pay the postage from 78664 and you can have all 3 KL6050's.

I just bought 3 Gecko's to replace them.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX View Post
    Joey,

Save your money and sanity and go with Gecko.

If you want I have some KL6050's (3), two that appear to work and one that appears to work, but when you actually run a program...I believe the microstepping on that one unit has some problem. You pay the postage from 78664 and you can have all 3 KL6050's.

I just bought 3 Gecko's to replace them.

Paul
    Is the KL-6050 similar to KL-6090?
    I'd gladly pay shipping if you are serious.

Thanks,
    Joey

Joey,

The KL-6090 will certainly do what you're looking for, as long as you keep in mind that the gantry mass is large so you won't get much more than 60-100 inches-per-minute cut speed for very fine work that has very quick reversals. (like luthiery) If you do buy a machine, there are a few tricks that can help you optimize that. We (myself and others on this forum) can help you with those when the time comes.

The other thing I feel obligated to point out is that the machine weighs around 500lbs in the crate and isn't exactly portable... Not my business, but it seems I remember soldiers having to move around a lot. :-)

Regards,
    --jim (KL-6090 owner)

Quote Originally Posted by Fingerstyle1978 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I've been doing a lot of reading on CNC and I am very interested in the KL-6090. I'm enlisted in the Army (aka poor) and I can't afford to be wrong about this machine. I will be making my first CNC purchase and I don't plan on having to buy another for several years to come.

I build acoustic guitars and I am interested in cranking out inlay jobs in Abalone and Mother of pearl into ebony and rosewood primarily. I'll also be fabricating laminated necks made from woods of different densities.

I think this machine is probably overkill, but that is a good thing IMO. Like I said, I only want to make one purchase.

Thanks,
    Joey

Quote Originally Posted by jbarber View Post
    Joey,

The KL-6090 will certainly do what you're looking for, as long as you keep in mind that the gantry mass is large so you won't get much more than 60-100 inches-per-minute cut speed for very fine work that has very quick reversals. (like luthiery) If you do buy a machine, there are a few tricks that can help you optimize that. We (myself and others on this forum) can help you with those when the time comes.

The other thing I feel obligated to point out is that the machine weighs around 500lbs in the crate and isn't exactly portable... Not my business, but it seems I remember soldiers having to move around a lot. :-)

Regards,
    --jim (KL-6090 owner)
    Thanks for the response. I do realize that this machine is large and very heavy, but the Army hires movers to move my stuff when the time comes. I have the same problem with my bandsaw, drum sander and table saw. Fortunately I haven't had to move in about 5 years now. I will be moving soon though and this is a purchase that I am going to make after I get settled in at my next assignment.

I was looking at a Romaxx machine, but at 270 lbs and a much less powerful router for roughly the same price it just seems that the rigidity and extra power would be the way to go.

If you have a suitable computer available, and don't mind learning at least the minimum about Mach3, then I have no problem at all recommending the KL-6090 to you. Now whether you decide to stay with the included stepper drives or change them out for Geckos is a different subject. Both use DIN mounts and have the same connections, so you could swap them out at any time.

GL with your new assignment! I first learned engineering attached to the Signal Corps, but that's been an embarrassingly long time ago. :-)

Regards,
    --jim

Thanks for the response. I do realize that this machine is large and very heavy, but the Army hires movers to move my stuff when the time comes. I have the same problem with my bandsaw, drum sander and table saw. Fortunately I haven't had to move in about 5 years now. I will be moving soon though and this is a purchase that I am going to make after I get settled in at my next assignment.

I was looking at a Romaxx machine, but at 270 lbs and a much less powerful router for roughly the same price it just seems that the rigidity and extra power would be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jbarber View Post
    If you have a suitable computer available, and don't mind learning at least the minimum about Mach3, then I have no problem at all recommending the KL-6090 to you. Now whether you decide to stay with the included stepper drives or change them out for Geckos is a different subject. Both use DIN mounts and have the same connections, so you could swap them out at any time.

GL with your new assignment! I first learned engineering attached to the Signal Corps, but that's been an embarrassingly long time ago. :-)

Regards,
    --jim
    I've got a lot of reading to do!

Is there an issue with the steppers? Speed isn't a huge priority for me. The machine is primarily going to carve necks and MOP inlay. I'll also probably knock out some jigs and things, but if speed is the chief complaint with this machine I'm not overly worried about it. Everyone here seems to like this machine with only one exception so far.

The only thing I'm not excited about is the fact that I can't use my Mac and I'll have to buy a PC laptop or something.

Someone had recommended Gecko stepper drives (drives are the electronics boxes that drive the motors, not the motors themselves) over the stock KL-6050 units, so I was just commenting that the conversion could be done later or not at all at your convenience. I personally have had fairly good luck with the stock Keling drives. (one failure in three years of heavy service)

One other thing: Seeing your comments, I would not recommend a laptop. A PC for driving this machine must have (A) a *STANDARD* parallel printer port and (B) standard hardware with low-latency drivers. You may find a laptop that works, but the odds are stacked fairly high against it.

Sorry for the stepper/drive confusion.

--jim

I've got a lot of reading to do!

Is there an issue with the steppers? Speed isn't a huge priority for me. The machine is primarily going to carve necks and MOP inlay. I'll also probably knock out some jigs and things, but if speed is the chief complaint with this machine I'm not overly worried about it. Everyone here seems to like this machine with only one exception so far.

The only thing I'm not excited about is the fact that I can't use my Mac and I'll have to buy a PC laptop or something.

Hi Guys,

I have a few questions on the Keling router, thanks:

1) What is the difference between the mold making machines and the others. The weight is more so would assume a bit more rigid. I am sure there are other differences anyone know what they are?

2)The 3090 machine looks interesting and have several question on that model

2a) What guide system is used. Is it T style rail and car type or is it round linear rods? What size rails or rods?

2b) Mach3 controller is listed. Does this mean there is a control PC included or is that something additional that is needed?

2c) Is the Mach3 a full version or just the demo version?

2d) Is the spindle under control of MACH3 for speed and also on/off?

2e) What size steppers? Frame size and torque rating?

2f) Is the drive ballscrew or rack and pinon?

2g) If ballscrews are used, what type (rolled or ground) and precision?

2h) Is the coolant pump on/off under MACH3 control?

2i) I assume the electronics are mounter under the machine, is this correct?

Thanks,
    Robert

for the KL-6090 machine:

2a) What guide system is used. Is it T style rail and car type or is it round linear rods? What size rails or rods?

it is a 20mm linear rods

2b) Mach3 controller is listed. Does this mean there is a control PC included or is that something additional that is needed?

PC is not included. but we can offer it

Mach3 can be full version

We can offer a Spindle/Relay control box using mach3 to control

NEMA 34 640 oz-in motor

Ballscrew

Precision Ballscrew

It has a seperated controller box

Quote Originally Posted by Kelinginc View Post
    for the KL-6090 machine:

it is a 20mm linear rods

PC is not included. but we can offer it

Mach3 can be full version

NEMA 34 640 oz-in motor

Ballscrew

Precision Ballscrew

It has a seperated controller box
    CNC Router KL-6090, Special $4399.95 in Chicago

Does anyone have any closeup photos of this router???? I am seriously interested in this router, but the technical information and photos are very poor.

Thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by RTP_Burnsville View Post
    Does anyone have any closeup photos of this router???? I am seriously interested in this router, but the technical information and photos are very poor.

Thanks,
    Robert
    tell me your email, I will take more pictures for you
    http://www.kelinginc.net/CNCmachines6090.html

My KL-6090 is still covered up after our last move. We have power and heat in the new small-job shop now, but it still needs paint, cabinets, benches, lighting etc. Right now I'm busy doing more design work than prototypes, which is why I haven't finished the shop.

I hope the KL-6090 and my other machines don't corrode/rust! I'm keeping the shop between 50 and 55 degrees F.

--jim

Talking ... and after 32 months of use

The machine is still running fine. The accordion cover that goes over the X-axis linear bearings and ballscrew wore out, so I removed it and kept going. (many machines don't have one anyway)

I plan to use the machine quite a bit this spring, so I cleaned it and lubricated all the guides and ballscrews, then ran an accuracy test. After 32 months, (2 years 8 months) and thousands of hours and cutting feet, it still holds around +,- 0.001" (0.-254mm) accuracy cutting 3/4" acrylic. The accuracy may actually be even a little better than that, but the finish I get from the spiral-cut endmill I use on thick acrylic is about that rough.

The actual parameters were 8000 RPM spindle speed, 10 IPM feed, 5 IPM plunge rate, 200 IPM X-axis rapids, 136 IPM Y-axis rapids, 50 IPM Z-axis rapids.

Still the best money I've ever spent.

Regards,
    Jim Barber
    Silicon Pixels, Spokane WA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KL-6090 Test_1024.jpg  

One last accuracy test photo

Here's another accuracy test photo, my last one.

I milled this rectangle of 1/2" acrylic from a larger piece. The brown paper you see in the picture is the protective backing paper they stick on to keep it from getting scratched.

After I milled it, the accuracy was good enough that the endmill cut clear through the plastic without cutting the paper. Now that's good accuracy!
    (the small hole you see if from a tool I used to life the plastic up off the spoilboard, not from the cutting)

--jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KL-6090 test2.jpg  

CNC Router

We are going to have 15 machines comming to USA

If you are interested, pls email to us

Check here for the update
    CNC Router, Stepper Motor, Servo Motor, Power Supply Automation Technology Inc

We are going to have 15 machines comming to USA on end of May

If you are interested, pls email to us

Check here for the update
    CNC Router, Stepper Motor, Servo Motor, Power Supply Automation Technology Inc

I am intrested in your kl6090 machine but have not gotten response from e-mail questions. Hello! is anyone home??? F. Brittain

Quote Originally Posted by fbrittain View Post
    I am intrested in your kl6090 machine but have not gotten response from e-mail questions. Hello! is anyone home??? F. Brittain
    Pls email to: [email protected]

Automation Technology Inc. | Stepper Motors, Servo Motors, CNC Stepper Motors, Stepper Drivers, CNC Kits, Stepper Kits Automation Technology Inc

Page 4 of 5 2345