545,749 active members*
2,306 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    257

    Coolant Pump Replacement

    So I’ve been ignoring my coolant system while favoring my mister & the result is the coolant tank turned to muck & the pump end deteriorated so much it froze up. Could not be repaired.

    So I notice Tormach now has an upgraded 1/8 HP pump but it costs $224.50 – ouch! Anyway I’ve noticed on my unit the stock pump has a 6” immersion depth leaving a lot of coolant below it. So after making some measurement I decided a 7” pump will fit which will increase capacity.

    After some digging I found what appears to be the same pump Tormach offers for half the price (with shipping) from Amazon.

    So it’s on order now.


  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    829

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post

    After some digging I found what appears to be the same pump Tormach offers for half the price (with shipping) from Amazon.

    They all do it. Seek and ye shall find

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1691

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    Sadly that Amazon link ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JN46HDY/ ) reports:
    "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

    Suggestions for an alternative source?

  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    257

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Sadly that Amazon link ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JN46HDY/ ) reports:
    "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
    That's odd, when I click the link they report 7 in stock order soon!

    Anyway the same pump can be had on eBay - This is for the 7" Immersion Depth...

    Pump Info:

    Yu Hseng Electric

    1/8 HP Lathe BandSaw Machine Tool Circulation Coolant Pump, Immersion Length 180mm (7"), NPT 1/2" Thread, Single 1 Phase 110/220V

    Note: The stock pump from my PCNC 1100 was only a 6" or 150mm Immersion Depth leaving lots of coolant capacity at the bottom of the tank.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1691

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    Very strange. If I visit the US Amazon site from here I'm told that it is out of stock. If I use a proxy to appear to be in the US I see that there are 7 available.

  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    554

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    I used a large submersible pond-pump after the Tormach pumps quit working. Worked surprisingly well.

  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    829

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    I used a large submersible pond-pump after the Tormach pumps quit working. Worked surprisingly well.

    Same as.
    I have a 400w submersible version I paid £30 for. Get a hell of a blast from it.
    Generic mill, not a Tormach.

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2088

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    I used a large submersible pond-pump after the Tormach pumps quit working. Worked surprisingly well.
    This type of pump will have a magnetic impellor exposed to coolant and could attract metal chips. A pre filter would help reduce the problem. a fully submerge pump imho would not be a good idea. And even this type of pump plumbed in line and not submerged would not work any better
    Also not a real good motor design to cycle on and off all day long.
    Some things to consider because they are so cheap and easy to find. Not that I would not grab one to use in a pinch on mill or lathe

  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    554

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    This type of pump will have a magnetic impellor exposed to coolant and could attract metal chips. A pre filter would help reduce the problem. a fully submerge pump imho would not be a good idea. And even this type of pump plumbed in line and not submerged would not work any better
    Also not a real good motor design to cycle on and off all day long.
    Some things to consider because they are so cheap and easy to find. Not that I would not grab one to use in a pinch on mill or lathe
    Yeah, on paper it shouldn't have worked very well, but it ran like that for years as I never got around to replacing it. This was an early 1100 with an ill-fitting coolant tank so most of the time the pond pump lived in the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket of coolant which was easier to drag out from under the machine to deal with periodically. The new 1100 stand is much much better at handling coolant. I like to think my complaints helped a bit

    .

  10. #10
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    829

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    This type of pump will have a magnetic impellor exposed to coolant and could attract metal chips. A pre filter would help reduce the problem. a fully submerge pump imho would not be a good idea. And even this type of pump plumbed in line and not submerged would not work any better
    Aren't the chips filtered out anyway as the coolant returns back to the tank?!?!?!
    How do you keep the nozzles from blocking up otherwise?!?!
    My pump has been in there about 4 years untouched.

  11. #11
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    257

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    Well DHL delivered my new pump in a few days from china.
    It fits into the original hole but I did have to drill some new mounting holes - no big deal.
    The motor is taller than the spec sheet indicated but I was able to put some spacers underneath the catch pan to allow clearance.
    Overall I like it and being 1/8HP vs the original 1/10 I should get better flow.
    I don't have anything right now that requires coolant so I'm not going to load it up until I need to.






  12. #12
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    568

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    Aren't the chips filtered out anyway as the coolant returns back to the tank?!?!?!
    There's a steel mesh that captures chips. Then the chips end up on the floor of the tank. Then there's those sieve-holes in the pump intake.

    Will zero chips get through? Seems unlikely. Will very fine particulate chips get through? Absolutely! The pumps are made to be robust and allow for some grit in there -- at least theoretically.

    It still seems like a good idea to make a two-compartment coolant tank, though, where chips settle on the bottom of one half, and then the top of the coolant (with less chips in it) overflows into the part with the pump intake. I haven't set that up, but I acknowledge this as a good idea and as the desired end state!

  13. #13
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    257

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    It still seems like a good idea to make a two-compartment coolant tank, though, where chips settle on the bottom of one half, and then the top of the coolant (with less chips in it) overflows into the part with the pump intake.
    The Tormach coolant tank is setup this way and a submersible pump would probably stay pretty clean.
    I just don't like the idea of putting line voltage into the coolant.

  14. #14

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    Well DHL delivered my new pump in a few days from china.
    It fits into the original hole but I did have to drill some new mounting holes - no big deal.
    The motor is taller than the spec sheet indicated but I was able to put some spacers underneath the catch pan to allow clearance.
    Overall I like it and being 1/8HP vs the original 1/10 I should get better flow.
    I don't have anything right now that requires coolant so I'm not going to load it up until I need to.





    Looks nice.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

  15. #15
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    829

    Re: Coolant Pump Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    The Tormach coolant tank is setup this way and a submersible pump would probably stay pretty clean.
    I just don't like the idea of putting line voltage into the coolant.
    Never thought of that tbf when I fitted my submersible.
    Glad I used a plastic box for the tank!.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-09-2016, 04:55 AM
  2. Great replacement coolant pump
    By Jeff E. in forum Tormach Personal CNC Mill
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2013, 10:46 PM
  3. Coolant Pump
    By david parkhurst in forum Tormach Personal CNC Mill
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-25-2013, 01:37 AM
  4. nm145 coolant pump replacement?
    By t300 in forum Novakon
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 06:01 AM
  5. Replacement Chiller Pump
    By sdfoiler in forum Fadal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 06:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •