584,862 active members*
5,354 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

DM 2400 refit.

OK after having a DM 2400 for a year or more and many other machines in various states of conversion I have decided to complete something before moving on. I just received a G0704 that I fully intend on converting much like Hoss or Ellik but too many projects are in the way. Plus it would be nice to have operable machines making parts for the conversions. This machine was purchased on Ebay and had everything but the pc and software. It originally had an error code that prevented further operation. Turns out cleaning a limit switch corrected this issue. I was able to machine using the built in membrane controller. It produces good finishes and is very sturdy for a benchtop. I spent many hours, weeks and or months trying to understand drip feeding and line limits etc. Finally I got fed up up gutted the controller. I refitted the power supply (not necessary as the original was still operable) and used a Gecko G540. I reused all of the steppers and limit switches. Again I just want to finish it and get it up and running so I can move on. This is how it was received.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0106.jpg   IMG_0107.jpg   IMG_0108.jpg   IMG_0109.jpg  

Some of these might be duplicates, but here is a video of it in action. This was the homing routine built in.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZrw-okobKY"]YouTube - ‪Dyna Myte 2400‬‏[/nomedia]

This is the obligatory manufacturers badge built into the controller. A good test to see how the machine is working.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZbK2Xx8gNY&NR=1"]YouTube - ‪Dyna Myte DM 2400‬‏[/nomedia]

Ok that just goes to show you speeds and feeds are important. You wouldnt believe how well that plastic stuck to that end mill. Here it is complete.
    YouTube - ‪CncObsession's Channel‬‏

Here it is cutting steel T nuts down to fit.

After months of tinkering trying to learn how to overcome Dyna's 900 line limit via drip feeding and DNC file transfer. I finally overcame my hesitancy to gut the electronics and move on to modern electronics. I have converted a machine with a Hobby CNC Pro board and 1 machine with a G540 so I knew there was an easier way. I just thought I could interface with it in stock form. I am sure a person with more experience than I could have done it but frustration set in. So here is some video in case someone needs to see an all original machine and its electronics.

Here are the original electronics removed and since sold to fellow zoners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0141.jpg   IMG_0143.jpg   IMG_0389.jpg   IMG_0039.jpg  

Then I installed a Gecko G540 on top of the original heat sink. This is during testing trying to gain spindle control. I am able to operate the spindle manually and believe with further testing I should be able to control it thru Mach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0023.jpg  

Time for a real enclosure!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0031.jpg   IMG_0027.jpg  

Dont you see something odd? A whimsical idea but I just had to attempt it.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krJV9ujImbk"]YouTube - ‪Auger Flight Cutting‬‏[/nomedia]

Maybe a little color?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0032.jpg   IMG_0036.jpg  

Does the machine fit in there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0043.jpg   IMG_0046.jpg  

More pictures to follow. I have an 80/20 upper enclosure for full flood. Unfortunately at the moment the machine is buried under electronics and tools. I have the enclosure removed to button up some electronics.

Fastest1,
    I'm curious if you are happy with the new chip tray? I'm going to need to build one and wondered if you were satisfied.
    Not as interested in the chip auger, even though it is really cool, I'm wondering more if it does a good job catching the spray of chips with flood coolant. Would you do anything differently if you did it again?

Thanks
    Bo

Bo, If I were to do it again. I would not use 80/20, or if I did I would make sure it didnt sit on that rim. I cant seem to make it watertight, it always drips just a little. I have used some tubing in all of the open channels of the 80/20 but the build up of coolant inside the frame run to the nearest corner and onto the floor. I would probably build 4 L shaped uprights (at each corner) that allowed a piece of plexi to slide in and still be on the inside of the pan. It would save a bunch of money as 80/20 isnt cheap unless you buy the scraps on ebay. Dealing with them as an individual isnt worth it. If I thought about it alot, I would slope the entire floor to the rear with a gutter or trough there. I would elevate the machine off of the floor of the pan a few inches for cleaning and such. Maybe on some rectangular tubing welded parallel to each other the width of the base of the machine going from front to back in the pan. The auger was just a whimsical idea I got at the last moment. I have never used (or finished) it yet. I would have actually lowered the augers tube as it might interfere with the Y stepper if I install a support bearing for the auger. I could let it be unsuported at that end with no issues.

Question Information about 2400 upgrade

I am working on upgrading a Dyna 2400 with a Gecko G540 board and have run into problem due to my lack of experience and am wondering how you wired the db9 plugs from the original motors. And it appears that you removed the following part and I wondered why that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Then I installed a Gecko G540 on top of the original heat sink. This is during testing trying to gain spindle control. I am able to operate the spindle manually and believe with further testing I should be able to control it thru Mach.

I actually didn't remove the transformer from the system, I just relocated it. I will
    look up my wiring on those steppers. Most likely wired in half coil.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Istecker, is this your first machine? Any familiarity with CAD, CAM, Mach etc? Just curious. If it is your first and you need some very basic info, we could arrange a phone call. I will walk you thru what little I know. Pm me a number if you are interested.

Istecker, Sorry for the delay. I hope this information will be of some help. I have found that not all Dyna's are not wired the same (strategy or color), double check. In my case all 3 steppers are Portescap P532 258 0.7 14's. I have them wired in bipolar series according to my notes.There are the wires coming from the steppers and the wires coming from the factory harness, the colors are different and this will add confusiion but here goes.
    Orange and Blue are tied together at the stepper, not connected to anything else and insulated from contacting anything else.
    Same for the Red and Green, again these are the wires coming out of the stepper not the Dyna harness.

Stepper wiring is
    Gray to A+ (assigned to pin 9 in my case) the harness wire color is Brown on my machine
    Brown to A- (pin 8) Orange/White
    Yellow to B+ (pin 6) Red
    Purple to B- (pin 7) Brown/White

I hope this makes sense. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Re: DM 2400 refit.

I recently decided to pull this machine apart to investigate a few noises. I was/am still getting pretty good results just didnt like a few noises and didnt really understand where they are coming from. I needed to verify the hardware in my machine as I have seen 3 different sets of lead screws and nuts.

Attachment 292282Attachment 292284

I really like the simplicity and effectiveness of the backlash adjustment in this system. A precision lead screw with a captured nut in 1 side of the mounting block. A bore in the block very close to the OD of a 2nd nut, the nut has a recess and ledge that a bolt pushes down allowing you to take up slack in the thread. Brilliant.

Page 1 of 2 12