537,761 active members*
3,063 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1677

    Dust collector

    I have been cutting a lot of wood lately and the dust has to be collected otherwise its all over everything in the shop, as well as breathing the stuff! I ordered one of those cyclone Chinese thingys, I have read where they work well at keeping the filter clean in the shop vac. I would like to hear if someone has experience with one of these??

    I saw them originally for 25 bucks or so, I found one for 39 and change delivered on Ebay, made an offer of 30 dollars and they snapped it up right away. Just a heads up if someone needs one, I thought I would try the barganing system, and it worked in this case!

    I made a dust shoe from PVC 4" pipe, clamped to the spindle and seems to work well.

    I thought coolant was messy but its nothing compared to this fine wood dust, hopefully this thing will keep the filter clean or cleaner in the shop vac for a longer period of time.....
    mike sr

  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    184

    Re: Dust collector

    It works great, I use it all the time. Your ShopVac might crap out if you run it for hours, but other than that its way to go. I used ShopVac with this at first but then bit down the bullet and upgraded to Festool vacuum which really kicks butt in this configuration and bag last for a year...

  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    624

    Re: Dust collector

    I've got a couple. They are functionally equivalent to the higher-priced US cyclones from Oneida, at 30 bucks instead of 3x that. Several ideas:

    -get a collector bucket with a SCREW ON lid (pool chemicals in 100 lb pails have these). Not absolutely required, but much easier to live with than the 5 gal snap cap lids.

    -hook it up with 2" PVC. You'll need to do some adjusting of various bores to make these fit. That's why you're a machinist. It's trivial. For a machinist....(I do this for woodworker buddies, and the gratitude is downright embarrassing).

    -Use a cheap, Craigslist shop vac with "5 HP".

    Yes, it works great. I've been cleaning my shopvac filter for years; no longer.

    BTW: there is absolutely no reason any decent machinist can't make a perfectly viable cyclone out of a couple pieces of stovepipe. But this is easier.

    And for what it's worth, this is a fabulous way to handle the chips from your DeWalt 735 planer.

  4. #4
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2148

    Re: Dust collector

    I spent months working out what the best extraction solution would be, as I was sick of mucking around with makeshift clamps on my extractor filter bag so I didn't have to throw it out every time I filled it, and in every test and review I found the Dust Deputy always came up trumps. So I have the Oneida one bought when they were the only thing available in this country, and one of the cheaper Chinese ones bought later, and they are absolutely worth they're weight in gold. And I can't really see any significant difference worth worrying about between them.

    I've emptied my dust extractor only one time since I bought it many years ago, and that was only because I didn't notice the Dust Deputy bucket had completely filled up during a job.

    For such a small amount of money that saves so much hassle and the cost of filter bags, I wouldn't consider not using one.

    cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    29

    Re: Dust collector

    I built one of these for my table saw work and will be using it with my CNC. J. Phil Thien's Cyclone Separator Lid w/ the Thien Cyclone Separator Baffle It works extremely well and all that lands in my Shop Vac is the tiniest bit of very fine dust, almost a powered. I only need to blow out the Shop Cac once a year, and then it really doesn't need it. I also used an old leg of ultra sheer panty hose over the Shop Vac's filter to keep the fine dust from entering the motor, and hey it makes my Shop Vac look sexier : )

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1677

    Re: Dust collector

    Thanks guys for all the positives, I have never done much wood machining in the past, but I have made 1500 of these little wood block game things and the dust is all over everything! the chips arent a problem but the fine dust is, and it sticks to everything including me, kind of an electrostatic thing maybe??

    I made a dust shoe out of 4" pvc for the spindle and put up a 2" PVC piping system, I made adapters for the hose as it will not fit the 2" pvc. I will take some pics and post them when I get a bit of time.
    I am keeping 99.9% of the chips sucked up now but it clogs the filter rather quickly with the fine dust.

    I made the various vacuum tables out of 2x4 wood as well, they work much better than I expected, as this is definitely a low budget job ha!

    I also found out that pvc can be cold swedged/swagged, I experimented with my 2 1/2 x 2 stainless reducer dies, worked like a champ. I did find out that the 2 1/2" vacuum hose is different sized by a few thousanths depending on who makes it........
    I use a Gast vacuum pump 3/4 hp oilless model, I think this is a bit of overkill though, borrowed from a buddy at his insistence.

    I have a 1 1/2 hp shop vac on it now and it seems to work OK, I also have 4 hp model that I can use as well if needed. Sure is fun playing with this vacuum stuff, and I am learning a lot as well.

    I am sure glad to hear the good reports on the cyclone/vacuum thing, I priced the dust filters at Menards and they are a bit pricey for what they are......

    Tis a fun project and keeps the old guy off the street ha!

    The fine dust in flour mills, coal dust and several other things are explosive, any input on this appreciated as well.........
    mike sr

  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    777

    Re: Dust collector

    Personally I think the cyclones are great if you plan on using a 25ltr bucket. If you use say an oil drum the pressure drop is much higher and the majority of chips will fall with a better efficiency than a 25ltr bucket with cyclone. Until theres there's just 25ltrs of room left in the drum. With an oil drum they take a fair amount of chip and only need emptying every 4 days with continuous use. Quite heavy full but you get the same vacuum with larger capacity for less money.

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    21

    Re: Dust collector

    I have a dust deputy, same as Ian bough from a local supplier rather than a Chinese one, connected to a Pullman heavy duty vac (haven't emptied the vac since). I have run 63mm PVC pipe from the cyclone to my machine with a "T" piece in an easy to get to location that I have another hose that plugs in for vacuuming the floor and any other dust accumulation points. A good idea is to run a copper wire inside the PVC pipe from end to end with an earth wire connected to my shed in this case ground it will stop static and keep the tubing cleaner inside and out.
    Philip

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1677

    Re: Dust collector

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon.N.CNC View Post
    Personally I think the cyclones are great if you plan on using a 25ltr bucket. If you use say an oil drum the pressure drop is much higher and the majority of chips will fall with a better efficiency than a 25ltr bucket with cyclone. Until theres there's just 25ltrs of room left in the drum. With an oil drum they take a fair amount of chip and only need emptying every 4 days with continuous use. Quite heavy full but you get the same vacuum with larger capacity for less money.
    I can get a 55 gallon oil drum with a removable lid, but would be a bear to handle though...........
    I would like a 25 gallon type translucent plastic container, I can get those but the lid isnt removable, and I wonder if the vacuum would suck the sides in on that large of a plastic container?? lots more area than a bucket etc.
    mike sr

  10. #10
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I can get a 55 gallon oil drum with a removable lid, but would be a bear to handle though...........
    I would like a 25 gallon type translucent plastic container, I can get those but the lid isnt removable, and I wonder if the vacuum would suck the sides in on that large of a plastic container?? lots more area than a bucket etc.
    It would be okay up until you get a block. Even a steel oil drum will compress slightly with a 1.5kw shop vac (won't crumple but does suck in a bit) I used a steel drum, without removable lid, cut a circle out of the top upto the outside of the drums plug holes just leaving a flange that was the top. I then cut a 10mm acrylic disk larger than the hole but small enough to allow hold down clamps to be fixed to the top of the drum to hold down the acrylic disk. I also cut a recess around the outside of the disk to take an o ring that I fashioned from multiple o rings cut and superglued to make one big enough. 3" pipe in through the acrylic, shop vac pipe out. Works great. I leave it sat on a sack truck but it is a two man lift into a wheely bin.

    I had a cyclone on a bucket originally but on 8x4 router it needed emptying every four hours which got a bit tedious.

    You could put the cyclone on the drum but it doesn't really need it, better use of the room sitting the vac on top instead.

    25gallon plastic container may need fortifying, some steel straps maybe.

    My next dust collector I plan to build a box with filter outside that a 1100ltr wheely bin will fit underneath, a drop down seal to stop dust leaving and just blast the chips in there with a dust extractor fan. Lift seal, pull out close lid and it's ready for collection.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1677

    Re: Dust collector

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon.N.CNC View Post
    Personally I think the cyclones are great if you plan on using a 25ltr bucket. If you use say an oil drum the pressure drop is much higher and the majority of chips will fall with a better efficiency than a 25ltr bucket with cyclone. Until theres there's just 25ltrs of room left in the drum. With an oil drum they take a fair amount of chip and only need emptying every 4 days with continuous use. Quite heavy full but you get the same vacuum with larger capacity for less money.
    Jon,
    Your saying that using a 55 gallon drum the cyclone isnt needed? If so how do you position the inlet hose or just run it straight into the top or side of the drum?
    mike sr

  12. #12
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2148

    Re: Dust collector

    Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Jon,
    Your saying that using a 55 gallon drum the cyclone isnt needed? If so how do you position the inlet hose or just run it straight into the top or side of the drum?
    He's meaning for you to do the same thing most people with a cyclone do, fit the cyclone on a much larger drum than the 20litre bucket it comes with by default, so you can go a lot longer without emptying it.

    cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

  13. #13
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Jon,
    Your saying that using a 55 gallon drum the cyclone isnt needed? If so how do you position the inlet hose or just run it straight into the top or side of the drum?
    The cyclone on a 55gallon drum only seems to be of benefit when there's about 25ltrs of room left in the drum. If you don't mind 25ltrs of the drum not filling up which is like 5% then no you don't need a cyclone as the pressure in the larger drum is that much lower that the chips drop anyway. It makes no difference to vacuum.

    Read through my last post again, I explained how I did it, but basically just plum you 3" pipe into the top of the drum and your shop vac also into the top of the drum on the other side, you can stick a 90degree bend inside on each pipe to reduce the amount of fine chips that find there way into the vac. I didn't bother, I still need to empty the fine stuff from the vac once before the drum fills but once a week emptying both is no bother.

  14. #14
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1006
    It is a crime how the Chinese government lets their companies rip off patented designs with impunity. It is just as big of a crime that they are 'allowed' to re-sell these rip-offs back to US.
    This has been the primary 'competitive edge' the Chinese have.


    Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    I spent months working out what the best extraction solution would be, as I was sick of mucking around with makeshift clamps on my extractor filter bag so I didn't have to throw it out every time I filled it, and in every test and review I found the Dust Deputy always came up trumps. So I have the Oneida one bought when they were the only thing available in this country, and one of the cheaper Chinese ones bought later, and they are absolutely worth they're weight in gold. And I can't really see any significant difference worth worrying about between them.

    I've emptied my dust extractor only one time since I bought it many years ago, and that was only because I didn't notice the Dust Deputy bucket had completely filled up during a job.

    For such a small amount of money that saves so much hassle and the cost of filter bags, I wouldn't consider not using one.

    cheers, Ian

  15. #15
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1006
    It is a big mess cutting wood. I have a dust deputy I am going to try. So far my approach has been lots of air ventilation and filtering. I have (2) 300 clear fans that pull air across the back of the tormach and straight outside. I also have a KDS air filter mounted directly above the tormach. With all of that I still get a good layer of fine dust in the shop.

    My only concern is if the dust deputy and shop vac will hold up over time. Some of my wood cuttin ops can be 4-5 hours long (really).


    Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I have been cutting a lot of wood lately and the dust has to be collected otherwise its all over everything in the shop, as well as breathing the stuff! I ordered one of those cyclone Chinese thingys, I have read where they work well at keeping the filter clean in the shop vac. I would like to hear if someone has experience with one of these??

    I saw them originally for 25 bucks or so, I found one for 39 and change delivered on Ebay, made an offer of 30 dollars and they snapped it up right away. Just a heads up if someone needs one, I thought I would try the barganing system, and it worked in this case!

    I made a dust shoe from PVC 4" pipe, clamped to the spindle and seems to work well.

    I thought coolant was messy but its nothing compared to this fine wood dust, hopefully this thing will keep the filter clean or cleaner in the shop vac for a longer period of time.....

  16. #16
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    It is a big mess cutting wood. I have a dust deputy I am going to try. So far my approach has been lots of air ventilation and filtering. I have (2) 300 clear fans that pull air across the back of the tormach and straight outside. I also have a KDS air filter mounted directly above the tormach. With all of that I still get a good layer of fine dust in the shop.

    My only concern is if the dust deputy and shop vac will hold up over time. Some of my wood cuttin ops can be 4-5 hours long (really).
    9-10 hours of ply cutting a day with dust boot, large 3kw centrifugal extractor fan, ribbon curtain and a door and I still get dust in my office area. I've resulted in wearing a mask and blowing it off keyboard desk screens etc with a garden vac once a week. Lol

  17. #17
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    184

    Re: Dust collector

    When cutting wood I really recommend doing your lungs a favor and wearing full face respirator mask with at least P100 filters. I use 3M Full Face mask with organic vapor/acid gas P100 filter.

  18. #18
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeetek View Post
    When cutting wood I really recommend doing your lungs a favor and wearing full face respirator mask with at least P100 filters. I use 3M Full Face mask with organic vapor/acid gas P100 filter.
    I use the same ones especially with Mdf. But wearing one all day I don't think is very good for you either, breathing in your own vapour. Not to mention being uncomfortable over a couple of hours.

    The flexible pvc ribbon curtain between Machine and rest of workshop with extractor in the curtained area helps a lot. It's a pain loading and unloading machine as you have to walk material through it but keeps the dust down considerably elsewhere. And noise surprisingly. I'd say around 35-40% db reduction with a 1.5mm thick curtain 1" overlaps.

  19. #19
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3071

    Re: Dust collector

    Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Thanks guys for all the positives, I have never done much wood machining in the past, but I have made 1500 of these little wood block game things and the dust is all over everything! the chips arent a problem but the fine dust is, and it sticks to everything including me, kind of an electrostatic thing maybe??
    Don't forget to clean the motor and fan. Mine got pretty heavily coated with wood dust after just a few dozen parts.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1677

    Re: Dust collector



    pics of the reducer and dust shoe and 2" pvc vacuum piping


    thanks for all the useful information guys, I will figure it out as I go, I have it pretty much under control now, hopefully the cyclone will keep the filter clean/cleaner. I installed a 2" PVC piping system for the shop vac to each machine area, I made up some nifty reducers to go from the 2" PVC to the shop vac hose, its 2.100" ID and isnt even close to slipping over the 2" PVC.

    The finish sanding I do outside with a belt sander and a fan behind me, seems to work well and the dust is kept outside.
    mike sr

Page 1 of 2 12

Similar Threads

  1. Router / Dust shoe without vacuum or dust collector / Wind Deflector
    By ajean in forum DIY CNC Router Table Machines
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2015, 07:42 AM
  2. Dust Collector ?
    By Concepts_Design in forum Tormach Personal CNC Mill
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2015, 01:01 PM
  3. Dust collector
    By Roctech-Mercy in forum Roctech CNC Routers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2015, 04:02 AM
  4. Need a dust collector
    By Dark-Angel in forum Composites, Exotic Metals etc
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2008, 02:35 PM
  5. Let’s see that’s dust collector
    By automizer in forum DIY CNC Router Table Machines
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2006, 01:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •