525,431 active members*
2,326 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Hi I am building third cnc machine (almost done). I use 12.5Nm closed loop servo stepers with encoders, water cooled spindle very strong mechanic etc... I use Atmega 2560 on board I designed and GRBL. I have PWM to 0-10V analog for spindle but I left enable and direction signals, no FWD REW. (I used optocouplers for all signals and other psu). I made small PCB DirEna to FwdRew. It works perfect, so if anyone need something like this be free to ask me for DipTrace files of pcb and schematic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	446280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	446282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	446284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	446286

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    11275

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Quote Originally Posted by srmarkovic View Post
    Hi I am building third cnc machine (almost done). I use 12.5Nm closed loop servo stepers with encoders, water cooled spindle very strong mechanic etc... I use Atmega 2560 on board I designed and GRBL. I have PWM to 0-10V analog for spindle but I left enable and direction signals, no FWD REW. (I used optocouplers for all signals and other psu). I made small PCB DirEna to FwdRew. It works perfect, so if anyone need something like this be free to ask me for DipTrace files of pcb and schematic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	446280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	446282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	446284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	446286
    Most of these High speed spindles only run in the FWD direction so REV is not needed and in most cases should be locked with the VFD Drive Parameter
    Mactec54

  3. #3

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    It is good to have REV direction.

  4. #4

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Most of these High speed spindles only run in the FWD direction so REV is not needed and in most cases should be locked with the VFD Drive Parameter
    You are not right. I got for free set of more than 50 unused tools for metal which need REV direction. Well it is Russian set very good steel (probably for an unusual strange machine). Got it for free because no one can use it on FWD machine. Changing m3 to m4 in gcode will make it work.

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    891

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    It's a nice little board, but you could simply reconfigure your VFD inputs to RUN/DIR instead of FWD/REV.

    For a Huanyang VFD:
    PD044=01
    PD045=05

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    11275

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    It's a nice little board, but you could simply reconfigure your VFD inputs to RUN/DIR instead of FWD/REV.

    For a Huanyang VFD:
    PD044=01
    PD045=05
    That is the normal way to control this VFD it has nothing to do with his board which he needed for his method of controlling the VFD Drive he has some left hand cutters so needed it to be able to run in both directions this is the Default for this VFD Drive so nothing more needed just the Breakout Board he made to suit his control
    Mactec54

  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    891

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Mactec, I perfectly understand what the OP did and for what purpose. My point is, the same result could have been achieved without any additional hardware, just by changing two parameters in the VFD.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    11275

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Mactec, I perfectly understand what the OP did and for what purpose. My point is, the same result could have been achieved without any additional hardware, just by changing two parameters in the VFD.
    Your point requires remote buttons to make it work, so you do not understand how it works, the standard default will work perfectly with what he wanted to do, your suggestion would not
    Mactec54

  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    891

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Your point requires remote buttons to make it work, so you do not understand how it works, the standard default will work perfectly with what he wanted to do, your suggestion would not
    No, it does not. I do understand how it works. My suggestion does work and I actually have tried it on one of my VFDs before I posted it.

  10. #10

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    I didn't mention that I paid 0,75€ for components.

  11. #11
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    619

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Quote Originally Posted by srmarkovic View Post
    I didn't mention that I paid 0,75€ for components.
    Thanks, that's a useful device since not all VFDs can be programmed for ENA/DIR mode

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    11275

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    No, it does not. I do understand how it works. My suggestion does work and I actually have tried it on one of my VFDs before I posted it.
    Not in his control setup
    Mactec54

  13. #13

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    It's a nice little board, but you could simply reconfigure your VFD inputs to RUN/DIR instead of FWD/REV.

    For a Huanyang VFD:
    PD044=01
    PD045=05
    Thanks a lot, I check it and you are right. It is P00.16=1 on my YL620-A and X5, X6 inputs but anyway I need to add optocouplers or relays because my logic levels are 5V and as I measured VFD levels are about 15V. Anyway board I made works well, so I leave it this way, lazy to make a new optocoupler board.

  14. #14
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    619

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Quote Originally Posted by srmarkovic View Post
    I have YL-620-A and can not find parameters to reconfigure VFD
    Many drives don't have the capability to run in ENA/DIR mode

  15. #15
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    891

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    Many drives don't have the capability to run in ENA/DIR mode
    I have not seen one personally. All drives I have worked with, be it brand names or AliExpress, had that capability one way or another.

    In YL-620-A, the main FWD/REV inputs are indeed not reconfigurable, but it has 4 configurable multifunction inputs.

  16. #16
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    619

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    I have not seen one personally. All drives I have worked with, be it brand names or AliExpress, had that capability one way or another.

    In YL-620-A, the main FWD/REV inputs are indeed not reconfigurable, but it has 4 configurable multifunction inputs.
    I have seen many, since we sell interface devices, some that have only ENA/DIR/Analog outputs, we have had a lot of experience with this issue

  17. #17

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    I have not seen one personally. All drives I have worked with, be it brand names or AliExpress, had that capability one way or another.

    In YL-620-A, the main FWD/REV inputs are indeed not reconfigurable, but it has 4 configurable multifunction inputs.
    You are right. It is the first CNC I made with spindle. All previous builds were with routers, I had no experience with spindles and their inputs. I made 6 axis control board with Atmega2560 (I will use 3 axis with option for additional rotary one and two other maybe for putting - pushing material on vacuum wasteboard) and all outputs and inputs are through optocouplers with dedicated power supply. I use 24V for inductive limit switches and 5V for other outputs. I put optocouplers on enable and direction pins but I made it that it is zero or 5V output I should leave just optocoupler output unconnected.

  18. #18

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    Attachment 446452
    Attachment 446454
    Attachment 446456
    Raspberry pi with touch screen (but used with remote keyboard and mouse now with Teamviewer and attached usb camera, it is nice to watch youtube in other room and check machine remotely from time to time) as CNC computer
    Attachment 446462
    This is one of my previous light build 750x450x150mm work space with attached 15W laser. Its purpose was woodworking but it does aluminium from time to time. As it can be seen I used router. I work with spindle for the first time. Sorry, I am not a machinist I am BD in EE making software for living and building CNCs for my friends who are doing woodworking and aluminium jobs is my hobby. This new one should make steel molds for casting aluminium, but friend also wants to be able to make wooden parts for casting in sand and maybe adding vacuum table with automatic MDF loading, I hope it will work. All CNCs I made (5 till now) work and work well. I love design electronic circuits and like welding and grinding, I only use CNC when I need part for a new machine or case for electronic so I draw just simple things in Solid works and Fusion, beginner projects in machining holes for connectors or just cutting and drilling aluminium plates.

    Here is new electronics
    Attachment 446458
    Attachment 446460
    New machine 1200x750x200mm work space is almost done it moves fast 10m per minute very fast and strong but I have to attach spindle and lasers and I will post pictures when I finish all.

    So as you see I use spindle in my project for the first time.

    This forum is great because I learned a lot. Thank you all.

  19. #19

    Re: Enable, direction to FWD,REW

    English is not my native language but now I see logical mistake 220V connectors should be labeled ROUTER not spindle because I leave possibility to plug in router or VFD. New electronic is not so pretty looking because I made holes on 4mm aluminium and glued paper on it and not do it good but I am lazy to remove all wiring and connectors to print labeling paper again. Also I need bigger case so friend who ask me to make a machine give me box for home electric installation to put electronic inside. Previous electronic cases I cut on laser from 2mm still sheet then bend it on a press but now I used fabric made case.

    Dill with friends is that they buy all still, bearing and electronic parts needed and I made them machine for free, ok they also do jobs for me for free when I need something.

Similar Threads

  1. cw8060 – works in one direction, not the other direction
    By mikefalkner in forum Stepper Motors / Drives
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2019, 02:59 AM
  2. Won't enable
    By BRAIL in forum K2CNC
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-17-2017, 03:11 PM
  3. Spindle enable only cycled AFTER direction change
    By zerodegreec in forum Mach Software (ArtSoft software)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 06:50 AM
  4. Encoder counting correct in one direction, double in other direction?
    By nworroll in forum General CNC Machine Related Electronics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 05:41 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 03:10 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •