585,687 active members*
4,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Engraving tool holder Nuts

Hi All,

Am thinking about a better system than labels to number my tool holders, and was thinking of engraving them all. Just wondering if this will affect the run out. Thought i would ask if anyone has done it before i experiment!

Admittedly i never tested the run out with the labels on.... and presume it would be near the same effect?

Cheers,
    Adrian

Re: Engraving tool holder Nuts

Engrave the number on all sides? That should negate any change made I woukd think.

I can't imagine affixing a label to the nut would affect runout, nor should light engraving. I would just use a Sharpie pen to mark them, that way it's easy to change the marks later if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunnerx View Post
    Engrave the number on all sides? That should negate any change made I woukd think.
    That was the logic my brain was missing...... doooh !

Thanks for the replys.

Cheers,
    .adrian

I use a paint stick - the marking last longer than a Sharpie and it is still easy to remove should you need to change the tool number somewhere down the road. Previously I've used a Brother P-Touch stick on label and those have lasted surprisingly well in a mist coolant environmemt.

Why would you engrave numbers on your toolholders?
    Is a collet holder ALWAYS going to be #1 ?
    What if you need a solid endmill holder as tool #1 on a different program?
    I wouldn't do it.
    Different programs have different tool call-outs.
    Seems strange to engrave numbers on them.

My tools are all used as the same numbers. Each part has a setup sheet with tools, fixture etc. granted not everyone can or does do it this way. But it works.

Heres one of Steve's videos on how he dis his.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HYzrVOxYCmQ

I have about 20 or so tools which are my pretty stock goto tools and never seem to change and then i have another 5 or so collets holders which i use for randoms.

Maybe my work flow is different from the norm, but can't see why you wouldn't make them permanent, as say tool #1 is a quater end ruffer, this is what i have loaded in sprutcam tool table so every program knows this is tool #1, and i wouldn't suddenly start using tool #1 as a .5 ruffer as it would give me a whole lot of grief.... with my other programs.

But i know any call for a tool >60 is a special and needs to be manually setup.

... am i missing something?

Cheers,
    .adrian

I do it for the same reason Adrian. I dont want to have to worry about all my other programs. Tool 1 stays tool 1. When I create my CAM, I make sure to use the tools I have.

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    Why would you engrave numbers on your toolholders?
    Is a collet holder ALWAYS going to be #1 ?
    What if you need a solid endmill holder as tool #1 on a different program?
    I wouldn't do it.
    Different programs have different tool call-outs.
    Seems strange to engrave numbers on them.
    I use Aspire, HSM works, Fusion 360 and I number my tools the same in all of them. Especially tools 1-20, they never change. If anything, the only tools I have changed are drill bits that I dont use often. I could not imagine numbering tools differently and having to change offsets any time I change programs. Are there CAM programs that do not let you designate your own tool numbers?

For a guy like me, with only 10 toolholders and 1 tap holder, engraving numbers on them would be pointless.
    I'm constantly swapping tools out.

Side track the thread with a different method.

I use simple blue masking tape folded over with slit cut. marked with tool # and notes. When I setup a job I look at tool table on screen and arrange the required tools along the bottom row left to right and take labels off. Check program and offsets whatever. Cycle start and from left to right at bottom row change tools easy peasy fast and no need to look at numbers.

Attachment 356184

New un proven programs, I tend start with a small drill operation if not a fake one to rapid tool to the correct point and stop 0.1 above part Gives you time to hit red button before you customize your mill and fixtures with new features.

Added note: This also works well when changing offsets g54-g59x in programs first little drill bit tool runs out and down to 0.1 above the work verifying you are in the right area and offset. Keeps Mr bozo from visiting as often.

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    For a guy like me, with only 10 toolholders and 1 tap holder, engraving numbers on them would be pointless.
    I'm constantly swapping tools out.
    well, you just need to get more tool holders then!
    yes its ungodly expensive (they really do add up...)
    but it is oh so convenient having tool 21 always be tool 21...
    NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

I have 60 plus holders and have been thinking about this for quite awhile, I have 2 that are engraved, tool #1 and tool #2 , those remain the same #1 is my indicator for setting Z height, and #2 is a center drill, neither are in a collet holder.
    I am thinking about a plastic/aluminum sleeve, engrave the sleeve, those could be changed if necessary.
    I too have tried magic marker, paint etc, nothing stays on over time.
    mike sr

I wonder if you could just print a 3d sleeve with a tool number on/in it? that would be fast and simple...
    I doubt my old 3d printer could get close enough tolerance though
    still, could be a fun quick/cheap thing to try...

alternately, I wonder how well tormach's spring loaded draggy engraving/scratchy thingy would work... that goes really fast...
    NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

You would need a butt load of tool holders to have them engraved like that.

I have never used the tool library. I just use the offset page and it has never let me down.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Steve,
    What are uou usung for CAM work? You have to have the tool in tge library to properly generate your GCode, yes? Or are you only manually coding?

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunnerx View Post
    Steve,
    What are uou usung for CAM work? You have to have the tool in tge library to properly generate your GCode, yes? Or are you only manually coding?
    No I don't have to have tools in the library to generate GCode.

I use GibbsCam to both draw and generate GCode.

I'm still using the Mach III operating system. I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mach III has worked for me for almost 6 years, so I see no reason to change now.

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I am thinking about a plastic/aluminum sleeve, engrave the sleeve, those could be changed if necessary.
    BRILLIANT! Pretty much permanent, but doesn't damage the holder. Great idea.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then..........

I havent figured out just what to make them of.

Another option is the acid etch, we used this at work for stainless process lines, it can be buffed off if changing the number is needed......
    mike sr

Page 1 of 2 12