584,841 active members*
4,270 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Equipment for refilling CO2 laser tubes

Maybe anybody can help me?
    What equipment is used for refilling CO2 laser tubes (for example Coherent)?
    Thank you!

Does anyone know the gas composition of a sealed CO2 laser tube?

Hi, Unless you have a huge amount of money you aren't going to get by with anything out there on the market. Lindy in Australia supply CO2 laser gas but it is for a flowing gas laser and not a sealed one. The gas mixture is a closely guarded secret from the manufacturers like Coherent, Synrad, Telesis etc so you won't be getting any of that unless you have one of their lasers and send it back to them for reprocessing.
    These companies don't just replace the gas. They also replace the optics and realign and reset everything and clean out any built up debris (or so I am led to believe)
    It's easier to send it back for re-gassing and pay the $700 or so and get another 30-40 thousand hours out of them.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

I would recommend sending your tube to Photovac Laser in Grove City, Ohio. To start filling your own tube is unreasonable. Not only due to the extensive cost of the equipment, unknown gas requirements, fill pressure, cleanliness, leak testing and other unkown variables, power supplies, optics, electrode condition etc...

The Laser Doctor

Laser Gas Mixtures

Quote Originally Posted by EverythingCNC View Post
    Laser gas mixtures are highly confindential to most businesses. They have spent 10's of thousands of dollars figuring out the right mixture for there particular laser tube.

You can always use a basic mixutre of Co2,N2 and He. Say 4.5%co2, 15% N2, and the balance Helium. There are other catylists and inhibitors to recombine the Co2 gas molocule back together again from it's 03 and 04 state.

You can see from a past posted video of a bad laser tube, the effect of non-recombination and mistaken gas recipes. I would think you would want a tube that lasts for years and years and not one you replace every three months. If your a hobbyist, it may make sense to get a new tube every few months. I think the shipping costs, cost of the tube, duty costs and down time wouldn't be worth it. Not to mention if the tube breaks during shipment and the shipper doesn't pay the insurance, like most don't.

Thanks

The Laser Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by MonoNeuron View Post
    Hi, Unless you have a huge amount of money you aren't going to get by with anything out there on the market. Lindy in Australia supply CO2 laser gas but it is for a flowing gas laser and not a sealed one. The gas mixture is a closely guarded secret from the manufacturers like Coherent, Synrad, Telesis etc so you won't be getting any of that unless you have one of their lasers and send it back to them for reprocessing.
    These companies don't just replace the gas. They also replace the optics and realign and reset everything and clean out any built up debris (or so I am led to believe)
    It's easier to send it back for re-gassing and pay the $700 or so and get another 30-40 thousand hours out of them.
    Dear MonoNeuron:

You hit it right on the head. Many times laser tubes have many other problems than just regassing. Optics, electrodes, leaks, warpage of the laser bore, contaminants of the gas are a few. Regassing costs typically from $750 for small tubes to $1200-$1500 for large tubes. I know a one or two really good companies that do this. One is in Ohio and one is in California.

you could try submersing the tube upside down in water then injecting the gas into it with a needle. it will be contained inside the tube because of bouyancy. then you would either have to seal it underwater. we used this in science class to fill tubes with certain gas or certain amounts.....but they weren't lazers. it should work though.

you could try submersing the tube upside down in water then injecting the gas into it with a needle. it will be contained inside the tube because of bouyancy. then you would either have to seal it underwater. we used this in science class to fill tubes with certain gas or certain amounts.....but they weren't lazers. it should work though.
    Uhhh....no. It wouldn't work. For too many reasons to list. (chair)

Brent
    If it's already been done, then it ain't NO FUN!

This won't work.

The Laser Doctor

Red face Re: Equipment for refilling CO2 laser tubes

Quote Originally Posted by EverythingCNC View Post
    After many $$$ and almost 3 years investigation and experimentation i have a working laser regas service setup in Mexico for both RF and DC (yes chinese lasers too)

Quote Originally Posted by sinfocomp View Post
    After many $$$ and almost 3 years investigation and experimentation i have a working laser regas service setup in Mexico for both RF and DC (yes chinese lasers too)
    Hi. I am located in Mexico. How may I contact you?

Hola, puedo saber dónde se ubica o información de contacto
    Saludos

Quote Originally Posted by giacc View Post
    Hi. I am located in Mexico. How may I contact you?
    WhatsApp +52-668-214-5780

Quote Originally Posted by Chicano5 View Post
    Hola, puedo saber dónde se ubica o información de contacto
    Saludos
    Tlaquepaque jalisco WhatsApp +52-668-214-5780

Re: Equipment for refilling CO2 laser tubes

Quote Originally Posted by sinfocomp View Post
    Hello

I am continuing as a master student in Turkey in Photonics/Optics Department. I want you to ask for CO2 laser tubes gases and what materials have needed? Can I contact your mail? I've sent you a message via whatsapp but I could not find and could not send you.

Thank you

Kind regards
    Yagmur

Re: Equipment for refilling CO2 laser tubes

Quote Originally Posted by carltonbcool View Post
    You can't even imagine what nonsense you are writing.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service