585,582 active members*
4,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal 3016L in my Garage
Page 1 of 2 12

Fadal 3016L in my Garage

Hello Folks, As mentioned in another thread, I'm a proud owner of a 1998 Fadal 3016L, with the 88HS control. I bought the mill at the end of December and it was delivered mid January. Here it is in the cleanup and inspection stage.
    Attachment 355670

Attachment 355672

Here you can see the dried up oil...

Attachment 355674

This is under the "Z" cover

Attachment 355678

Back side of the "Y"

Attachment 355680

Some of the issues that I've found, PDI way lube pump not working, X axis has about .001 backlash and somebody went hog wild with silicone caulk. It is also missing the coolant tank and the spindle cooler. The good is that the spindle runs smooth, the Y and Z have about .0004 end play, the probes work and it fits in my garage..lol.

The first thing on the list was to get this mill under power. After a ton of research, I've decided to hook the mill up to single phase. The main reasons for going single phase are, cost and the space of a converter. I know all about the power lost, but, for the type of machining I will be doing, the HP with single phase will not be a problem.

Next up... Wiring for single phase

Stay tuned...
    pete

Re: Fadal 3016L in my Garage

Awesome. I love my Fadal 2016. With the single phase conversion it's perfect for the garage.

I'm trying to figure out how big of a machine I can for in my garage. I want a 4020 or vf3/4 but I don't think they will fit height wise. How tall is your 3016? With the head down? Did you have to remove parts and reassemble inside? I'm suppose jealous BTW, looks like your going to be making some serious parts soon!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How's the progress coming along my friend?

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    How's the progress coming along my friend?

A whole bunch of stuff has been finished. I'll be posting pictures later tonight or tomorrow
    pete

I'm trying to figure out how big of a machine I can for in my garage. I want a 4020 or vf3/4 but I don't think they will fit height wise. How tall is your 3016? With the head down? Did you have to remove parts and reassemble inside? I'm suppose jealous BTW, looks like your going to be making some serious parts soon!

tbev, I'm lucky to have a 8' tall garage door. With the weather stripping and the small lip at the edge of my floor to the apron, I had about 93" of clearance. When we brought the mill in, I had to unbolt the tallest wire track and push it aside. The mill then fit with the counter weight bars in place, as well as the head support. It did rub a small bit
    pete

Hello Folks, A few strides have been made on the 3016. I've changed the machine to run on single phase.

Here is a picture of the original setup...

Attachment 356906

Removing the old transformer was a bit of a task, but, nothing a small hoist couldn't handle. The spindle drive and the axis drives are the only items that run on 3 phase. The leads for the spindle drive are A12, B12 and C12. The leads for the axis drives are also marked A12, B12 and C12. To run on single phase, I only used A12 and B12 of the leads mentioned. The leads in the center of the terminals ( which have fuses) are 16A, 16B and 16C, these are 120 Volt. The three white leads are the neutrals.

Here is my updated setup....

Attachment 356910

The red leads in the photo are the supply. I used 6 thhn wire. I've also installed a small transformer to supply my 120 volts. I really didn't need to do this, as the mill ran fine when I connected the 16A,B,C leads straight to a 120 volt circuit in the shop. But, it's an isolation transformer and it would probably help with any electrical noise issues down the road.

According to the manuals, you need to install one of these... a 250 volt surge protector. This is connected across the incoming 240 volt circuit.
    Attachment 356912

The manual also recommend some line filtering. So I installed a pair of line reactors, that I had from my Emco lathe project. These are installed in series with the incoming 240 volts...The red leads are the mains and the black leads in the photo are the surge protector leads.
    Attachment 356914

The machine is connected to a 40 amp breaker in the panel box.

I'm more than pleased with the way the mill runs on single phase

More to come....
    pete

Hello again After getting the machine running, it needed a bit of cleanup and a good going over. As mentioned in an earlier post, I knew the x axis had .001 backlash. I ordered a new ballscrew from FadalCNC. I also wanted to replace the thrust bearings and couplings. The bearings are 7304B angular. I found three Koyo sets on Ebay. I also bought the seals on Ebay. The seals are CHICAGO RAWHIDE 11138. I also found the couplings on Ebay. The shaft sizes on the 3016L are 5/8x7/8.

Here is a picture of the coupling. The 3/8" bolts in the picture, were used to remove and install the servo motors on the X and Y. I used two sets on the Y, when I replaced the thrust bearings and seals. One set to hold the bearing housing and the other for the servo. It made for easy alignment of the coupling to the servo.

Attachment 356916

The Y axis

Attachment 356918

After replacing the bearings, I scraped and cleaned the pan. After the cleaning, I applied a two part epoxy where the sides meet the bottom pan. I then I coated the bottom with a product called Masterseries. It's similar to Por15. Afterwards, I painted the bottom pan with a 2 part paint from Masterseries.

Attachment 356920

In this picture, you can see where I used Permatex "The Right Stuff", to seal the stainless to the sheet metal.
    Attachment 356922

While the paint was drying, I worked on the way covers. I used an orbital sander to cleanup the outside. I also install new wipers.

Attachment 356924

Attachment 356926

During the inspection stage, i also found that an idler bearing in the ATC was shot, so it was replaced and the ATC realigned. Here is the bearing. This is the arm that moves the ATC back a forth.

Attachment 356930

More to come.....
    pete

Looking great brother! Man that cabinet is clean as he'll! 83inches is what I'm working with, gonna be close. I'm going to look at a vf3 and a 4020(maybe the 4020 as well) tomorrow. I just read about the couplers and bearings, I was going to mention them but I'm glad you were already hip to that. I spoke with a customer of my father's who has three 4020's in a bottle making shop, they use them to make the molds, they love them, I'm getting blue balls waiting to pull the trigger! Can't wait to see more of your progress, looks great!

That machine was in good condition before you started
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Back again Another issue I had was with the doors. the rollers were shot. So I made up all new ones. They are a little beefier and it's easier to change the bearing....

Attachment 356942

The one thing I will miss, in using the Fadal, will be the ease in which I was able to get files off the network with my Mach controlled Mikini. With the Fadal, I have to get use to the rs232 thing and DNC. I didn't want to spend a ton of money for a usb option. So here is what I came up with.

I found this on Ebay....
    4ft USB to RS232 DB9 DB25 Serial Port Adapter Cable w/ FTDI Chip Windows 10 8 7

Here it is in the cabinet....
    Attachment 356944

To connect the adapter to the Fadal's rs232 port, i shifted some things around. I removed the connector from its original location and plugged into this....
    Attachment 356946

It's a db25 to terminal adapter. I had this one left over from a lathe retrofit, but, they can be found on Ebay.

I used some shielded 10 conductor cable, connected the adapter and ran the cable to the front. where I used a DB9 to terminal adapter....
    Adafruit DE-9 ( DB-9 ) Female Socket Connector to Terminal Block Breakout S11 | eBay

I bought a small 10 inch screen notebook ($60) and made a temporary shelf (till everything is working properly) ....
    Attachment 356948 Attachment 356950

I installed various free versions of DNC software onto the laptop. I used WinDNC first, maybe I was lucky, but, I was able to connect to the Fadal on the first try As for connecting to the network, I have internet in the shop, with a wireless access point. The Fadal laptop can now see my network shared files, making transferring of files easier.

I also mentioned in an earlier post, that my PDI oil pump was shot. I priced a new pump, with all new injectors....ouch!!! So I looked into other options. This 3016L has all linear ways and on many Fadal's with linear ways, they use grease. So I decided to go the grease route. I made some manifolds on the Mikini.......

Attachment 356952

I powdercoated, installed new fittings and connected them to the existing lines....
    Z manifold
    Attachment 356954

Right side X&Y manifold
    Attachment 356956

Left side X&Y manifold
    Attachment 356958

Lastly, the Fadal did not come with a coolant tank and again, the cost for a new one, was a bit too much for my budget. So here is the beginning stages of my coolant tank solution....

Attachment 356960

Attachment 356962

The handles will be removed and the holes covered and sealed. For filtering trays...a pair of used perforated medical trays off Ebay....

Attachment 356964

More to come.....
    pete

Sweet! I'm interested in your filtering trays, I hole they work well, what pump are you using, what kind of psi are you expecting/getting?

Rebuild is looking great. How much did you have to pay for the 3016?
    www.CNC-Joe.com
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Joe View Post
    Rebuild is looking great. How much did you have to pay for the 3016?
    I paid $9k for the 3016 and $2k to have it delivered and brought into the shop. Add to that about another $1700.00 for all the parts and supplies to get this thing into shape. My budget was $15K, to have a running machine in the garage.
    pete

Sweet! I'm interested in your filtering trays, I hole they work well, what pump are you using, what kind of psi are you expecting/getting?

Let me say that they work great in my head, but, when it comes to the real world...things may change ..lol

On the update side of things... last night I went through the process of setting the backlash on X,Y and Z. As mentioned, I replaced the ball screw, thrust bearings/seals and coupling on the X. I only replaced the thrust bearings/seals and coupling on the Y. The Z , I left alone.

When I bought the mill, the controller showed that the X had .0004, the Y had .0004 and Z had 0, of backlash comp. I cleared all the backlash comp settings back to 0. Following the procedure in the Fadal manuals, the numbers I came up with were, .001 for X, .0006 for Y and 0 for Z. With new ball screw ,coupling and thrust brgs on X, the backlash is now .0001. With new thrust brgs and coupling on Y, the backlash is .00035.The Z remained the same. I redid the backlash comp on the control, reset the cs position (setcs), reset the home position (setho).

I ran a small warmup routine, that was in the controller and all I can say is Wow!!!! It is impressive seeing all this mass just gliding around effortlessly. I've only seen and used a small hobby mill and this Fadal is a beast...lol

The last remaining item on the to do list, is the coolant situation. I have the container and the screens. To answer tbev's question on which pump I'll be using, I'll probably use the same one that is in the Mikini. It's the 1/3 hp utility pump from Harbor Freight...

1/3 HP Submersible Utility Pump 2000 GPH

I've been using on like it for the past four years without a hitch.

Lastly, after all the mechanicals and such are done, I have to get my head around using the 88HS control. I'm slowly getting some aspects of it. Tonight I may install my tooling and find out how the Renishaw tool setter works... it should be fun
    pete

Haha, I hear that! I use the same Lowe's pump on my Tormach's, it's great, overkill by a little bit for them, I have five they about one/year bc the housings crack, I dunno if it's bc of the coolant chemicals or bc I keep the back pressure high most of the time I'm using it half closed at the nozzle. I really want a lot of flood in my next mill, (Fadal I hope) I'm glad to see that's your opinion as well, I bet it's perfect.

Can't wait to see you make done cuts! I'm really interested in how these Fadal mills handle 3 3D Adaptive ops, particularly the max speeds and how the controller handles acceleration / decel /look ahead etc. I know they are not robodrills but I'm hoping their big cuts can still boogie a little bit. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to share brother!

I'm almost in the same boat. We had a 3016 1997vintage at work that started to give us issues and the tech quoted us 18k to fix it (ways,gibs straps ect) so
    we were moving to a new building and management said toss it and buy a new haas that matches the others. So $500 for the rigger who was moving us
    to the new building and he dropped that off in my garage. So now I sit with a broken 3016 in my garage getting up to snuff. The biggest kicker was we bought
    it used and it came in single phase. We tossed the transformer and made it a 480v 3 phase (never would have thought in a million years I would have had that
    machine)

So now my biggest question is (I'm assuming you have a/c drives and motors) what transformer are you using?
    I can't get a straight answer. The factory stick on the back of the machine says t-813 so I got one and put in and cant get it to turn on. Sent pics of my drives
    and now they said t-812. What did you go with? I don't know If I'm wiring something wrong with the 813 or really need a 812.

What did you do with that 3016? That thing has a ton of usable parts on it 812 us the single phase xformer.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Hello Folks, I've been busy with a ton of stuff, not related to my 3016L. But, I was able to sneak in some time, here and there, to work on this baby After a bunch of one step forward and ten step backward days, I can now say it..... I have a running Fadal 3016L in my shop

I'll be honest, it almost brought a tear to this old man's eye, seeing this machine make chips for the first time...lol

The trickiest part for me was learning how to use the Renishaw probes. I finally have a couple macros that work for my fixtures..... I'll post more details and pics...maybe a video, sometime this weekend.

What a difference compared to my hobby mill !!!!!
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by pcas View Post
    So now my biggest question is (I'm assuming you have a/c drives and motors) what transformer are you using?
    I can't get a straight answer. The factory stick on the back of the machine says t-813 so I got one and put in and cant get it to turn on. Sent pics of my drives
    and now they said t-812. What did you go with? I don't know If I'm wiring something wrong with the 813 or really need a 812.
    I'm not using a Fadal transformer. I had a T820 and took it out. I do have a transformer in there, but, it's just step down isolation transformer (240 volts to 120 volts), that I got on Ebay. I actually had this running with no transformers...hooked it up straight to my breaker box on 240 volts for the spindle drive and the axis drives and 120 volts for all the rest.

If you look at the schematic for the Fadal single phase xformer, it is only used as a step down xformer for the electronics side of the mill. The spindle drive and axis drives are actually hooked straight to your breaker box. There are two A12 and B12 leads, one set ( A12 and B12) for the spindle and the other set (A12 and B12 for the axis drives. Both A12's go to one side of your supply and the B12's go to the other side of your supply. The C12 leads are just capped off. The leads marked A16, B16 and C16 are 120volt. The leads marked 15 are neutral.

Now mind you, my supply voltage in the garage is about 235 to 239 volts single phase. Fadal also stipulates 230-240 VAC. If you have the required measured voltage, you should be able to make the switch
    pete

Page 1 of 2 12