589,420 active members*
4,429 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Feed Hold

Feed Hold

Whenever I use the 'feed hold' button in mach3, the spindle stays running.
    I can use the spindle button to turn it off, but I would like the 'feed hold' to turn off the spindle and retract the Z-axis 25mm.
    Is there a way to do that?

Re: Feed Hold

Quote Originally Posted by viroy View Post
    I can use the spindle button to turn it off, but I would like the 'feed hold' to turn off the spindle and retract the Z-axis 25mm.
    Is there a way to do that?
    im application engineer, working on Syntec cnc & Fanuc cnc controllers. Contact me at [email protected], Lets discuss and find solution

Hi,
    not sure about Mach3, I have not used it for ten years.

With Mach4 you can optionally (check box) have turn off the spindle.

Retracting an axis is not easy. When in FeedHold the Gcode program is still active but paused only. That means that Mach's trajectory planner is still occupied. In order to jog or otherwise move an axis
    you MUST have control of the trajectory planner....but FeedHold prevents that.

There is a way around it. First FeedHold, then Stop. When you stop you must faithfully and fully record the current position and most particularly the various modes that mach was in. Once the Stop has been applied
    then you can use the trajectory planner to move the machine and retract the Z axis say. When you want to restart the job you must first travel to the exact position where you left off and most importantly reinstate all the
    modes Mach was in......and then . This is in effect an automated procedure.

I could see myself coding that in Mach4 with Lua but the prospect of coding that in VB within Mach3........NO F*********G WAY.

My guess is that a similar thing could be done in Mach3, but it was so much harder to customise Mach3 than Mach4. Mach4 was designed from the ground up to be a highly configurable solution
    that would see uptake by OEM manufacturers BECAUSE of the facility with which it can be customized.

Craig

Hi Viroy - Sounds like a recipe for crashes. Unless you can automate the whole thing with a macro so the program can restart at the same place. Totally Ok to do it manually but one wrong move and you will have a really bad day. Why do you want to randomly stop the programme/feed? Peter

I used to run NCStudio... anytime you hit pause, it immediately retracts to whatever height you set (I set 25mm) and would turn off the spindle.
    Hitting start again would dwell the spin-up time for the spindle then drop back to wherever it was and resume cutting. loved that feature

Sometimes I just need a pause to clean chips or occasionally take a break on a first time run that I want to watch all the way through.

But I needed 4-axis which ncstudio will not do, so I moved to mach3.... that was years ago.
    Sounds like I should check out Mach4.
    Or are there any other good software recommendations?

Hi Viroy - "Good" is an entirely relative statement. You can spend from zero to 100x $1000 on NC software and someone spending $150k will say it's good. I'm sure you can program a macro in M3 to do what you want. Have a look at the manual... I'm not an M3 or M4 user or one of the readers will help...Peter

Hi,
    well you may be in luck. I seem to recall there was a feature in Mach3 called 'Safe Height", and if I recall correctly it di very much as you described. Can't hurt to try it out.

Craig

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
    well you may be in luck. I seem to recall there was a feature in Mach3 called 'Safe Height", and if I recall correctly it di very much as you described. Can't hurt to try it out.

Craig

I've never heard of $150k software... not even for a multi pallet 5-axis

Hi,
    a few seats of fully featured Mastercam will easily cost $150k.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    a few seats of fully featured Mastercam will easily cost $150k.

Craig
    This is the biggest load of codswallop I've ever heard....
    Fully load seat for 3Dmill with multiaxis is about $AU30k, with a 5axis proven post(once of $AU15K)

No small company would need multiple fully loaded seats, where a netlicence would allow sharing of say, 1x lathe, 2x 2Dmill, 1x 3Dmill & 1x multiaxis option. This may suit when you have 1 experienced programmer, and other operator beginners. Who can jump on and change code to suit a difficult operation.

If you have only one programmer & 1-2 5axis machines, you won't need more than 1 super seat, whatever options you bundle.

Hi,
    five seats @$30k= $150k, and how many companies around the world would have a damn sight more than five seats?

I presume as OP is using Mach, then even a single seat at $30k is way WAY WAY more than he paid.

Craig

I'm curious about what 5 seats of mastercam has to do with what the op is trying to accomplish . I'd also be interested in seeing a $150k cnc control software if anyone can point to one .
    As far as a 150k cad/cam goes then it can get up there . I've been out of the loop for a good few years but I'd say a full blown seat of catia will reach that mark

I have no need of a multi-seat commercial software license

Hi,
    thread got sidetracked.

Have you tried the SafeHeight feature in Mach3?

Craig

no, where is that?

Hi,
    good question, its been ten years since I've used Mach3, and I can't remember where or how you set it.....but I do remember it was there and that is basically replicated what you want.
    There is a setting just called 'Safe Height'.

Craig

Which is to be expected. When I push the brake pedal in my car, the car stops, but the engine stays running. :-)

I would like the 'feed hold' to turn off the spindle and retract the Z-axis 25mm.
    Sounds like you need to add a custom button to your Mach3 screen. The button should contain a script like this:

Code:
    DoButton(1) ;press the feed hold button
    While IsMoving() ;wait for the axes to stop moving
    Sleep (100)
    Wend
    Code "M5" ;stop the spindle
    Code "G00 Z" & Str(GetOEMDRO(180)+25) ;move the Z axis up 25mm