585,727 active members*
4,155 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Finishing questions

Any tips on what I can do for a better finish. Trying to do a scallop and it cuts great one way but when it turns around it gets all these little hairs on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Re: Finishing questions

Could be from the coventional cutting direction or thats a flat part where its using the tip of the cutter (assuming ball mill), but i can't really see the slope of the part. Try cutting only in the climb direction.

Yes it is with a ball mill on a slight slope. Ended up just doing a parallel instead but would like to figure out the scallop. I tried one way cutting which fusion says is climb cut only but it seemed to me to cut both ways still but left funky linking moves in the pattern

Were you using coolant, or lubricant? Both can help a lot with that. But it's probably not realistic to expect it to come out perfect. You will almost certainly have to do a little clean up with some steel wool, a Scotchbrite pad, or some polish, no matter what you do.

Regards,
    Ray L.

To avoid the hairs, try feeding faster, or spinning slower.

Or cut with a face mill and then scrape scallops with a shaper :-)

What is your coolant delivery method? Are you using spray or flood coolant? If you’re using a Fog Buster, I’d day that’s your problem because the Fog Buster doesn’t have enough air pressure to blow chips away.

I would only use flood coolant for that application. I have a 2 nozzle Fog Buster and I only use it for profiling.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I'm using XTREME CUT 250C by flood at 7% concentration. I have an upgraded pump, 5/8in lines and 3 nozzles. I'll try again playing with the feeds. See what that does.

Quote Originally Posted by dbunyip View Post
    Yes it is with a ball mill on a slight slope. Ended up just doing a parallel instead but would like to figure out the scallop. I tried one way cutting which fusion says is climb cut only but it seemed to me to cut both ways still but left funky linking moves in the pattern

Looks pretty flat, so probably using the center of the cutter where SFM is really low "dragging" the cutter. One way to increase SFM is to use a bull nose EM if the geometry will allow, or fixture the part at an angle so your not using the tip of the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by dbunyip View Post

I see that when I get impatient and turn off the coolant for a second to take a look lol. But with that being said I bet it’s a lack of lube/chip recutting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk